advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Type 1 with no antibodies

Question Type 1 with no antibodies

Hi, a quick intro. My name is Teresa and I have two children with type 1 diabetes. My oldest son was diagnosed at 5 and is 15 now. My oldest son is from my first marriage. My ex-husband's mother had type 1 since she was 16 and my ex was diagnosed with type 1 in his 30s so for my oldest to have diabetes was not a huge shock to me. Now, my second son from my current marriage was diagnosed in October with type 1 as well. I took this diagnosis much harder and am still struggling with it. There is no family history of type 1 in my husband or myself although there is a history of type 2 and I did have gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy (although not with his). I guess the other thing that perplexes me is our endo said Steven (my second son) did not test positive for antibodies. He said that he was basing type 1 off of his C-Peptide levels and something else, but I can't remember. It's just been bothering me that he doesn't have antibodies for it and I've yet to meet anyone with a type 1 diagnosis that doesn't have antibodies. I have debated on having my other kids screened for antibodies, especially since Steven doesn't have any, but it is also very hard for me to understand how I have two kids with diabetes now. It just seems there has to be some kind of link to me. I don't know I guess this is rambling here, but I am wondering if anyone else here has a child with diabetes without antibodies being present.

Actually I think a person may or may not have the antibodies present and he probably had the antibodies but they were not there at the time he was diagnosed. From what I understand the antibodies are not present 100% of the time but can come and go. At least that is the way I understand it. Also at the pumping conference I was told the difference between type 1 and type 2 was not antibodies but that a person with type 1 also does not produce a hormone called Amylin, while people with type 2 do.

I don't have antibodies, but I'm still classified as type 1. Even with no honeymoon and a nearly normal fasting c-peptide, I'm considered type 1 because I was in DKA at diagnosis.

My endo explained to me that the antibody test doesn't really help to explain anything if they're absent, because like deafmack said, they come and go. But if they're present, they can sometimes help confirm a type 1 diagnosis. Or they can help to show a "risk" of developing diabetes, but not necessarily a guarantee of developing type 1.
    Dxd Type 1: 09/1996 at age 14
    Apidra in Animas 2020 pump;
    My Basal Rate: 0.200u/hr
    A1c: 7.2 (07/2010)
    Proud mommy of:
    Patrick age 8, non-D
    William age 3, non-D

Type 1 is not diagnosed based on the antibodies as the test is not precise enough. My son is worked on his 11 year of living with diabetes and did not have antibodies at diagnosis.

Truth be told, the experts don't know why Type 1 developes. There are theories, but none is proved.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by hypercarmona View Post
    I don't have antibodies, but I'm still classified as type 1. Even with no honeymoon and a nearly normal fasting c-peptide, I'm considered type 1 because I was in DKA at diagnosis.

My endo explained to me that the antibody test doesn't really help to explain anything if they're absent, because like deafmack said, they come and go. But if they're present, they can sometimes help confirm a type 1 diagnosis. Or they can help to show a "risk" of developing diabetes, but not necessarily a guarantee of developing type 1.
    I had not heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy C. View Post
    Type 1 is not diagnosed based on the antibodies as the test is not precise enough. My son is worked on his 11 year of living with diabetes and did not have antibodies at diagnosis.

Truth be told, the experts don't know why Type 1 developes. There are theories, but none is proved.
    Thank you. I feel a lot better now. I still worry now a lot about my other kids getting diabetes. It has been much harder having 2 kids than 1 with it and I guess sometimes you find yourself looking for answers.

My dad was type 1 in his 30's and no antibodies. I was dx'd at 28 WITH antibodies, which is how they decided I wasn't type 2 and my daughter was dx'd at age 6 without any antibodies. Weird. You were speaking of the GAD antibodies right?
    -Kelly-
    Type 1 @ age 28
    Hannah (almost 13!!) non "D"
    Maddison (9) dx'd 12-4-2006
    Josh (husband that works too much)

http://type1mom-chasingnumbers.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kel4han View Post
    My dad was type 1 in his 30's and no antibodies. I was dx'd at 28 WITH antibodies, which is how they decided I wasn't type 2 and my daughter was dx'd at age 6 without any antibodies. Weird. You were speaking of the GAD antibodies right?
    I'm not sure he didn't tell me which one and I don't know why I didn't ask, but I think that is the one.

I was/am worried about our younger daughter because of some issues, so had TrialNet labs done. She has no antibodies and I breathed a sigh of relief. Then the Endo told me that about 20% of people with T1D have no antibodies and I still need to watch for signs.
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

I have the GAD65 antibodies, and will go to Phase II. However I did the GAD65 test twice since they wanted to see if it would go away.. However it didn't I just got the results back yesterday and they were higher then the first test. The trial net did state the even if you don't have the antibodies or you do doesn't mean you will develope type 1 and doesn't mean you won't. They did state with my second go round of blood work another antibodie came up positive but they didn't tell me which one..

Tracy
    Proud Parent of Spoiled Children
    Brittney age 13(dxd 1-19-07) Pumping since 6/07 Animas 2020 Nickolas age 8
    Married for 17years

Video:www.youtube.com/teambrittney

hi

I totally know how you feel.
    My four year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 in February and she too has no antibodies. She is also my second child with type 1. My 9 year old son was diagnosed 8 years ago. I absoloutely know your struggle with the second diagnosis. I am still having a hard time accepting it too. Actually, I let my guard down with her as she went through trial net last July and was negative...six months later, type 1-no antibodies. The only thing going on is her celiac panel. 169...(above 20 is positive). We have the biopsy to confirm that tomorrow morning. More of a formality than anything else, her Dr. is quite certain she has it.