advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GRRR! Good Morning America did it, too!!

Default GRRR! Good Morning America did it, too!!

GMA just had a segment on for diabetes and how it is totally preventable! Did you know that you can prevent diabetes just by exercising 30 minutes a day and eating the right foods?

They never mentioned Type 1 or Type 2 EVER! They kept saying that kids are getting it so much more and that it is preventable!

I'm off to their site now! This just perpetuates the idea that we did something wrong to have our kids end up with diabetes. So frustrating to me!

Tiffanie
    Mom to:
    Zackary, age 11, non-D
    Travis, age 9, diagnosed 2-19-09 at 7 years old BLUE Pumper MM 522 June 2009
    Kylie, age 7, diagnosed 5-15-08 at 4 yrs old PINK!! Pumper MM 522 March 2009

My blog

I think I just caught the tail-end of it. She said that sugar substitute causes diabetes too. She said that we should all avoid sugar substitutes because even one serving a day will raise our chances of diabetes.

Okay, does anybody know where this came from?
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

I was just coming to post this. I'm so mad. I"m off to write an email.
    Connor dx 10/26/03
    Delaney dx 12/04/04 at WDW
    Kelley and Blair non D

http://thebetesnow.com/

I just e-mailed! I told them to correct their incorrect information! Boy this ticks me off!! They make it seem like I'm obviously a bad mom because my DD isn't getting enough exercise or right foods! Tell me how a child that is 4 years old and is 31 lbs can get diabetes because she is overweight! This is the first time I am really mad about something like this! That was totally irresponsible journalism!

Tiffanie
    Mom to:
    Zackary, age 11, non-D

My blog

Dang! Kat got it when she was 3. How does a 3 yr old not exercise when all they do is run around? And back then we didnt eat or drink anything with a sugar substitute. I know, in her case it was genetic. But DANG.....its not right when 6 million people are lied to about diabetes onset. Oh, and "its all the same." Thats the worst part. What is the email address.
    Carolyn, age 41, Mom to:
    Katerina 10 yrs old dx'ed T1 @ age 3,on 9/10/04, Lantus and Novolog MDI
    Austin age 12, non-D
    Kaitlyn age 15, non-D, dx'ed asthma age 2 yrs
    Amanda age 18, non-D, dx'ed VWD, Type 2A 6/09
    Daughter to Linda, age 61, dx'ed T1 @ age 10, 1959
    Katerina at "Camp A1c at Cha-La-Kee 2010"

eileen@drsavard.com you can email the Dr too...
    Connor dx 10/26/03
    Delaney dx 12/04/04 at WDW
    Kelley and Blair non D

http://thebetesnow.com/

Here is the link to the article from this morning:
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/sto...5337605&page=1

And the only mention of Type 1 I see is in the comments that people are posting.

Great way to start a day.
    Camille
    Kyle - 15, dx 9/8/06, pumping MM722 May 07

I commented at the article, and I sent a message to abc. I am really irritated about this! I usually am not this upset. I think it's because there is such a large audience. And, they are supposed to be journalists that present correct information. And, that was their medical person telling everyone that!

I just can't stop being irritated!

[deep breath] okay, I need to move on now....

Tiffanie
    Mom to:
    Zackary, age 11, non-D

My blog

Thumbs down

I am tired of all the media not EDUCATING their viewers to which type it is. We know which type they are talking about, however some of the audience does not know.

This is why most of us get. Wow your child is type 1 they aren't even fat.. That drives me INSANE.. And somethings we just can't let go. It seems every day on these boards someone is getting an idiot comment. Just like the Type 1 who was eating a candy bar and the person at the grocery store said HE CAN'T eat that.. I can't remember who the person that posted but this drives me crazy.....

I also commented on there and to ABC to get their darn facts straight and they are to educate which type..

Okay I am going to breath in and breath out now.. shewww.

Tracy
    Proud Parent of Spoiled Children
    Brittney age 13(dxd 1-19-07) Pumping since 6/07 Animas 2020 Nickolas age 8
    Married for 17years

Video:www.youtube.com/teambrittney

HOW FRUSTRATING
    Lori
    Mom of Ryan (13) Tyler (11) and Nicole (9)
    Ryan dx'd 11/11/1998 ((just two days after his 2nd birthday)
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722

MM CGM-Real time sensor since 3/2010