advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get a tick head out?

Default How do I get a tick head out?

I pulled off what I thought was a piece of dirt from my younger son's cheek. I had to pick at it to get it off, but it was just a tiny speck. After I took it off, I noticed that the "piece of dirt" had tiny legs - must have actually been a tick. The tiny head is still embedded on Grant's cheek. I can't pull it out without making a little divot in his cheek, and he's really freaking out. Any ideas on how to safely pull out the head? Thank you.
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 12, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14
    Brian (husband) is 41, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

It really sounds like a deer tick, they are much smaller than a regular tick. I would take him to outpatients to get it removed or call your regular doctor to get advice on deer ticks. Be careful with the itty bitty ticks

ETA: If you still have it you may want to put it in a baggie. If it is a deer tick they may want to put him on preventative antibiotics
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]

I agree with the PP. I'd go to Patients First or a similar place or at least call them to ask what to do. Can you tell for sure that the head is still in him?
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

Seriously? Argh... No, I didn't save the tick. I didn't know the tiny ones are bad.

What does ETA mean? Can't figure that one out.
    Amy
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

I'm not a doctor. But what we used to do with ticks, is to pour some oil on it and then take a tweezer and turn it and slowly pull it out. This was with the whole tick still intact. Even if you can get it out, make sure to go to the doctor and if he gets a high fever in a couple of weeks/month, and you can not explain why, make sure to remember the tick and tell the doctor.
    Caro, Mami to Jenny (16) Dx on 4.23.07
    and Sascha, non-D

Pumping with MM722 10.01.07
    MM723 Revel 5.11.10
    CGMS Minilink 11.12.07
    Dexcom G4 December 2012

I just received an e-mail about how to get one out..never tried it yet, hope not to have to.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the

soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick

will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it

away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that

was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier

for me.

Debbie mom to 11 great kids,
    Samantha dx'd 8-25-07 at 8 years old, 11 now.
    pumping with a purple MM Revel
    CGMS since 3-19-09
    lotsoftots life with a large family my blog
    Diabetes R Us Trying to do a d blog

Quote Originally Posted by bgallini View Post
    I agree with the PP. I'd go to Patients First or a similar place or at least call them to ask what to do. Can you tell for sure that the head is still in him?
    He for sure has a little black speck that is embedded in his cheek, and it is not coming loose. I can't see with the naked eye if it actually looks like a head or not - just guessing since the part I did pull off had visible legs. I can't reach it with tweezers. I'm embarrassed to say that he's had it there for a few days. I thought it might come out in the bathtub. Grant screams bloody murder when I come near him with tweezers (he has sensory processing disorder). So - probably doctor for him tomorrow. Darn.
    Amy

Just bribed him with candy, and he let me tackle it again. I pulled the rest of the black bits out (along with a little skin), but it doesn't look bad. I still can't see if it's actually a head or not because it's so tiny. I need a microscope. Do you think I still need to take him to the doctor if I got it all out?

Amy
    Amy

I do believe you should follow up with the doctor and take whatever bits and pieces you have left. If it was a deer tick you shouldn't take any chances. What happens sometimes is that the tweezing acting forces secretions out under the skin...which can lead to Lyme disease. Other ticks carry other diseases.

ETA means "edited to add."
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

Thank you very much for your input. Off to the doctor tomorrow. I did save the bits and pieces of the head. I always thought deer ticks are the large spotted ones. Oops.
    Amy