advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lantus in the 'bum'

Default Lantus in the 'bum'

Bad night! Lots of tears and lots of questions that I can't answer.

Just tell me how to give a shot in my boy's scrawny hiney that won't hurt. I give him the three Novolog in his upper arms and he doesn't complain - much. But every night he stiffens up in fear when his measley two units of Lantus are about to enter his body.

I hate this disease!
    Blessings,
    Pam

Wife of one for 25 years
    Mom to six boys (18, 16, 14, 11yo, 9yo dx w/D 5/26/08 (MDI - Novolog/Lantus), 6yo dx PDD-NOS 1/07)

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."
    ~~Thornton Wilder

The problem is that Lantus stings, because of its Ph. Theres not much you can do really except make sure its at room temperature, which might help a little bit. People say that the bum is the least painful place to inject Lantus so not much help there.
    Last edited by miss_behave; 06-22-2008 at 01:46 AM.
    23 y/o, Dx 12/02 Type 1
    Pumping purple MM Veo
    BSN, RN

I agree, let it get to room temp. Maybe that is what is hurting, the stinging of the lantus.
    Pam, there are a couple of us in the chat room right now, if you want to join in. I see you are up.
    Martha

Mom of:
    Heather 33
    Erin,27
    Tim,18 dxd Nov. 2004,pumping as of 03/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFkxZ_aqPWE

Would it be ok to use a cold spray to numb the area prior to injection? Ask you endo about something like this, if you wish. I would use it to set him at ease and one day ask if it's ok to not use it. (the cold spray acts very quickly)
    Or just check if you can inject it somewhere else, like the belly. Or is Lantus really particular with respect to injection site? I don't know much about it.
    Good luck and (((HUGS)))!

PS - you can also numb the area with ice or an icepack
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

My son will not let me use his bum at all. We have always used the belly for lantus and never had a problem. It may be a mind thing with your son and using his bum. Endro told us as long as we rotate with three different areas that we are ok. We do arms legs and belly, but always use belly for lantus.
    Renaee
    Mom to Jacob
    10 years old
    MDI, Novalog and Lantus
    Dx'd 9/18/07

I'm sorry he hates the Lantus shot. My DD does too. I always give it in her bottom, and I pinch it up and keep it pinched up until the end of the 10 second countdown I do mentally, then let it down slowly before removing the needle. I'm sure you do that, too. For some reason, I thought Lantus was best in the bottom? She will only let me do her shots there. She usually shows me where the best place for her is.
    Cindy
    Elizabeth, 8, has type 1 diabetes, hypothyroidism
    Diagnosed 8/7/07 at 4 years of age

Novolog/Lantus MDI

We inject real slow. .. count 1 unit wait then 2 unit wait ect. she takes 10 and then we "pat" the area after. She HATES her lantus shot. It breaks my heart. I cant wait for the pump!!!!!
    Susan
    mom to:
    DD-dx 2/21/08 Pumping Animas PING, Dexcom 7 plus

It somehow makes it better to know that many have trouble with the Lantus. I will try many of your suggestions - the ice, the slow injections, its already at room temp, the pinching. Cindy, would you send me a pm with the exact counting to 10 process? StillMamamia, thanks for the hugs. I'm still crying today! This is hard stuff! hrtmomof3, I would have enjoyed the chat.
    Blessings,
    Pam

Wife of one for 25 years
    Mom to six boys (18, 16, 14, 11yo, 9yo dx w/D 5/26/08 (MDI - Novolog/Lantus), 6yo dx PDD-NOS 1/07)

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."
    ~~Thornton Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    It somehow makes it better to know that many have trouble with the Lantus. I will try many of your suggestions - the ice, the slow injections, its already at room temp, the pinching. Cindy, would you send me a pm with the exact counting to 10 process? StillMamamia, thanks for the hugs. I'm still crying today! This is hard stuff! hrtmomof3, I would have enjoyed the chat.

Just one more thing...HANG IN THERE

Last edited by StillMamamia; 06-22-2008 at 11:15 AM.
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Some have switched from Lantus to Levemir...how has that worked for others? Less stinging? May need to take it 2x per day instead of 1x per day.