advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish us luck, we hired a real babysitter tonight!!!

Default Wish us luck, we hired a real babysitter tonight!!!

We took the plunge and did it -- hired a real live babysitter for tonight!! We have never had a babysitter that was not either family or a close friend of the family. But after 7 years of D, IT'S TIME!!!!

We found a girl who goes to our church -- she's 14, extremely responsible and lives 3 blocks away. Her mom is a nurse and will be at home all night in case of a problem. Both she and her mom came over last weekend to learn about D. Basically I told her what to do if Carson's low. The plan is that she is going to call us whenever Carson checks his blood sugar. (And I'm going to type out very detailed instructions on what to do and when.) Then I will get on the phone with Carson and tell him what to do. He's gotten really good at the button pushing thing.

DH and I will be 1/2 hour away, so wish us luck!!! I'm off to Target to buy prepackaged food the babysitter won't have to weigh or measure I hope it goes well because if it does, we may have a social life again!!!! And since she's 14, she won't be going off to college anytime soon
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 10, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

How cool Brenda!!

We are heading in the same direction as you as far as a real babysitter! We have my parents, my sister, and one family friend that does babysit for us. But it is coming to point where I would like to have a babysitter.

Do you mind sharing how much you are paying? I have no clue as to what the going rate is

Enjoy your evening
    Bonnie married to Brent
    Mom to:
    Dylan, 9, non-D
    Ella, 7, dxd at 14 months, pumping with Animas Ping, dexcom

I think the going rate completely depends on the area you live in. College age babysitters go for $12/hour in the Chicago suburbs. BUT, my really really nice 14 year old homeschooled babysitter is only charging $5/hour which is DIRT CHEAP!!! We'll probably pay her $7 or so. But it really depends on where you live.
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 10, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
    I think the going rate completely depends on the area you live in. College age babysitters go for $12/hour in the Chicago suburbs. BUT, my really really nice 14 year old homeschooled babysitter is only charging $5/hour which is DIRT CHEAP!!! We'll probably pay her $7 or so. But it really depends on where you live.
    Thanks for your insights! You will have to give an update on how it turns out for you all tonight!
    Bonnie married to Brent
    Mom to:
    Dylan, 9, non-D
    Ella, 7, dxd at 14 months, pumping with Animas Ping, dexcom

Have fun. I hope it is a wonderful worry free evening for you guys!
    Charlotte
    Mom to Ryan, , 15 dx'd with Type 1 D 1/23/06
    and Hunter, 6
    Dh Bill Married 19 years

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...kumsma/099.jpg

GOOD FOR YOU !!

You both deserve this....and it is good for the kids to have a break from parents as well !!

I'm sure all will go wonderfully....and tell her to keep all her Saturday nights open for you !!

HAVE FUN !!
    Allisa, mom to

Ty (14) dx 03-03-03 also has Mitral Valve Regurgitation due to complications from Rheumatic Fever
    Connor (18)
    Erin (11 dx with Down Syndrome & Autism)

Let us know how it goes. I really want to look for someone as I get tired of asking family and then getting a big whine about having to do it. It is getting really old. (And I can just imagine how my mil will freak thinking someone else is watching the kids--she is the whiner.) Maybe if you can give a good positive story, dh might be more game. WE NEED IT!!!

Sounds divine! Have a great evening!
    Mom to a Middle Schooler (MDI, DX'ed June 30, 2006), and a Sports Nut

Looking for info on using carb factors to count carbs? Check out www.CarbPerfectionist.com

We too have only ever had family babysitters. I'm nervous leaving my kids with strangers but I would love to find a babysitter. We didn't find one before D so now even more nervous with D.

Good luck and have a great time out !!!!

Mother of Rachel (9), Josh dx on 12-18-07 (8), and Ainsely (5)

Have a great time! Let us know how it goes.

Amy
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 12, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14
    Brian (husband) is 41, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis