advertisement

Thread: OT: hand,foot,and mouth disease

Default OT: hand,foot,and mouth disease

my 20 month has contracted this from daycare any solutions for the mouth pain, can't hardly get him to drink anything or eat any suggestions welcome and helpful cries conatantly I just hope that no one else in our house gets this..
    Ashley
    mom to Decota~ 7yrs~-Type 1 dxd ~6-2-06 ~
    PUMPING (animas) 3/17/08 & ADHD/ODD~dx 11/07
    and to Dalton ~AKA "Boo Boo"~3yrs~ non d~Asthma

Let me get this straight. Your Non-D child has this right? That's a shame. I don't really have any suggestions to get him to eat or drink, but thank God your D child doesn't have it. If your D child stopped eating and drinking it could be a real problem.
    You should do everything possible to keep this from spreading to your D child. Search online and find all the info you can about keeping this contained. I know clean hands are probably the most important and I'm sure a lot of disinfecting.

I actually had HFMD a few years ago which was bizarre as an adult. I don't know where I got it.
    Dave (non D)
    Single father of Jacob (Type 1, dx'd 11/2005, born 12/11/2000)
    Medtronic Revel 722 since 1/08/2012; Apidra
    AccuCheck Aviva meter, Sure T infusion set
    Guardian CGM since 1/9/2012
    Former Animas and Dexcom user
    Father of Andrea, 15 and Logan, 18 (all non D)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde
    "Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by decota'smom View Post
    my 20 month has contracted this from daycare any solutions for the mouth pain, can't hardly get him to drink anything or eat any suggestions welcome and helpful cries conatantly I just hope that no one else in our house gets this..
    When my son had it, the Dr gave us Clorseptic to spray in his mouth. Seemed like the perfect solution (worked great on my sore throats when they use to hand the stuff out at the college infirmary)....until he spit it right back in my face!!!

I found that he would eat soft, cool foods like applesauce and yogurt. And just a bit at at time. BUT the mouth pain only lasted a day or so.

To prevent spreading wash hands (everyone's hands) very, very often! And wash any toys, etc that he may be mouthing or drooling on.

It's not fun but it doesn't last too long.
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

When Tori had hand, foot and mouth, she preferred drinking through a straw to minimize the contact of the liquid with the surfaces of her mouth. That's really the only suggestion I have. She was 6 though. It has to be really tough with a 20 month old. Hope it gets better soon.
    Deb
    Mom of DS Andrew age 13
    DD Tori-age 9. Dx'd T1 11/27/06
    Purple Minimed 722 starting 7/10/07.
    Minimed Pink Revel upgrade as of 7/29/10.

Thanks For The Insights Everyone I 1/2 Froze A Juice Box And He Drank It And Shortly After Ate A Few Bites...thank Goodness I Was Begining To Wander I Fhe Was Begining To Become Dehydrated Bc He Hasn't Wet To Many Diappers Today
    Ashley

Quote Originally Posted by decota'smom View Post

your best bet is lots of fluids using a little pump syringe..

I remember when my daughter had that, she wouldnt eat and her fever was raging at 105 ( it was either pump her with the fluids through a syringe or go to the ER To prevent dehydration

as for the pain, they make a prescription mouth wash ,I use to get this for my daughter when she had the sores in mouth from chemotherapy **i cant remember the name of it** but im sure ur doc would know
    Last edited by MommyStress; 04-15-2008 at 10:07 PM.
    MommyStressed!!
    Mom to Jimmy age 10 DX type 1 June-07 Pumping with MM 722
    **~Midnight LOWS Stalker~**

Default Pain Meds

I had this when I was a kid...and yes, it is so very painful. I still remember the pain. I also remember my mom begging me to take something for the pain, like tylenol or something, but I was such a stubborn kid.....I didn't (and still don't) like taking pain meds. They finally convinced me to take some shortly before my next meal and it numbed the pain enough to eat. I then wished I had listened to them sooner. By the next morning I was fine.
    Lynnea
    Homeschooling Mom to:
    Jessica(18)
    Hannah(16)
    Sarah(14)
    Allison(11)

J.J.(8, dx'd 12/07, currently MDI)

Diabetes Blog Family Blog

Your pharmacy can mix up a mouth swish of part liquid benadryl and Maalox, if I recall correctly. It really does help. Emily got this (it's the coxsackie virus) at 20 months old, too. I dipped Q-tips into the liquid and coated her mouth with it. Good luck.
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

The mouth wash is called Magic Swizzle It is made in 3 parts benadryl, maylox, and lidocane.. I am a licensed pharmacy tech. SO I did know about that bet his doc is very hesitant to give thingh that may resolve on their own in a day.. but thinks for the help..I had thought about asking for some magic...but held on through the night and is doing better today.....THANKS EVERYONE
    Ashley

Ugh. Abby had this very badly. Best thing to do is offer up anything soft. Smoothies, yogurt, applesauce. One thing I could get her to eat was frozen go-gurts.

Hope all gets better soon.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn