advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? for those that do night checks

Default ? for those that do night checks

How old is your child and how many times in a week, or month (whichever is easier) do you have to treat a high or low in the middle of the night? How do you treat a low at night?
    Mom to Gloria 13, dx'd 10/30/07
    pumping with Cozmo since 1/17/08

Deacon is 3. I do not know how often we have to treat a low or high. It ranges. I would say about 3x a month for a high and possibly a bit more for lows. But that was in the past month. There have been some months I have to handle neither. I treat highs with half the corrective dose. I treat lows with moo milk. Juice just spikes him and drops him again. He needs whole milk to treat night time lows.

--Sara

We have a pretty "tight" insulin regimen, so often at bedtime DD will still have insulin working or be getting corrected. But by around 1 am all that is over and done with, and with the Levemir after 1 am it is clear sailing till morning.

Early on, before we understood how to use the NPH, we were seeing middle of the night lows. Probably at least one a month.

We have had one incident I can think of (maybe 6 or 7 months ago) where there were indications of a morning rebound to a night low we missed

Proud Dad of Amy (17), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular, and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (12); very happy husband of Shirla!

We correct highs to 120 at night. Her ISF works well, so this usually hits the mark.

We treat lows with tabs or juice, which she pretty much takes in her sleep, LOL! She often doesn't remember taking it the next day.
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

My daughter is 11 and we see probably 1 unexplained low a week. I am in awe of the parents here that have children that are predictable at night. We treat a moderate low with a Bio Salud and a severe low with a juice and a glucose tab. With a downward trend I either run a reduced basal or suspend her pump for an hour, depending on how far and how fast she is going down. Now that we have the cgms we are able to have better control and treat less with food and more with reduced basals.
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]

When we aren't using cgms, it "can" be a nightly low, but I would say it is usually a couple times a week. There are some nights I treat lows 2 or 3 times. We use juice boxes in his sleep

Kylee was just diagnosed in November, but in the 5 months we've been at this I can only think of 2 night time lows we have had to correct. One of those was in the month after she was diagnosed, she went to bed fine and when I checked her in the middle of the night she was in the 70s. The other was about 2 months ago, she was in the 80s at her bedtime check, we gave her juice and a snack and she was within range, then I checked her at 2 and she was down in the 80s again. We usually use juice to fix lows.
    Jill

Wife to Steve
    Mom to
    Dakota-16
    Hunter-14
    and
    Kylee-12~diagnosed 11/5/07 using Novolog and Lantus and CGMing with Dexcom

My daughter is 8, diagnosed at 6. We have about 1 low, on average, that we treat per week. We also have 1 or 2 highs, on average, that we treat per week. The highs are usually as a result of not giving enought insulin at dinner - usually because we did not know the exact carb count. We treat lows with those Gogurt tubes. I just stick a straw in it and she drinks some-she never even wakes us. If I am out of those, I just use milk.
    Last edited by Momto4; 04-06-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama2H View Post
    We treat a moderate low with a Bio Salud and a severe low with a juice and a glucose tab.
    What is Bio Salud and where do you find it?
    Mom to Gloria 13, dx'd 10/30/07
    pumping with Cozmo since 1/17/08

Bio Salud is a milk like drink but has more sugar. It is 2 ounces and 8 carbs. I like them because 8 is just enough to get her up without overdoing it and it is only 2 ounces. We use the strawberry ones, you can find them in most Walmarts in the cooler section with the mexican foods.
    Nicole
    Hailey~14~type 1 diabetes diagnosed Friday October 13, 2006~Minilink started April 24, 2007~Pump start May 22nd, 2007
    Apidra start Friday May 30th, 2008
    Mackenzie~12~
    Izabella~5 years~Kawasaki disease dx Saturday June 13th 2009 I
    [/url]

"Uneducated people believe what they are told...Educated people question what they are told."-Helen Keller[/CENTER]