advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Applying for college...tell of Diabetes?

1. Default Applying for college...tell of Diabetes?

My son will be applying for college admission in the Fall. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to stating on the application that he has diabetes? Do the colleges try to accept more students with "disabilities"? Thanks.

Honestly, I have no idea. I didn't state that I had D on my college application. However, I believe that colleges must accept a certain percentage of students with disablilites, the same way they must accept certain percentages of people from different ethnic backgrounds (that is if it's a public college.) Therefore, it may be to his benefit if applying to a public college, but I don't know about private colleges. Hope I was of some help.
    Cassie- 21; Dx'd @ 11 on 11-5-99
    Junior in College, Major= Criminal Justice
    MDI (lantus and novolog)

I don't know if it makes any difference but my son did mention it on at least some of his applications. I figure it's more likely to help than hurt.
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

To the best of my knowledge, India is the only place where colleges have to reserve seats for disabled applicants, and diabetics aren't included in the disabled for that requirement unless they're blind or something like that.
    I would still mention it because colleges are looking for interesting people. If your son can say that he's interesting because he has learned from having diabetes or has made speeches at a diabetes fundraiser or whatever, then definitely include it. Otherwise don't.
    I hadn't been diagnosed when I applied to college, but the topic of my essay was about my struggles to participate in raising my brother (who is fourteen years younger than me) despite severe tactile defensiveness.
    -Jonah
    dx age 17, now 25
    on Lantus for 7 years; on minimed 530 G since 12/7/13

Wisconsin, but at school in South Bend, IN

I was diagnosed just a few days before the start of my senior year of high school. That's what I wrote about in my "personal essay" for my application. I felt awkward about it, but tried to write more about my reaction to it than the poor me, here's what happened to me stuff. It was such a big struggle and adjustment at the time that I didn't see how I could not write about it. I got in to all but my stretch school, that I didn't think I'd get into anyway, so I don't think it made a difference, or at least not a negative one.
    diagnosed August 2004
    University of Notre Dame '09
    Philosophy and Accounting

No, I would not put diabetes on a college application.

I wouldn't. I made a note of it on my housing application post acceptance. It didn't have a drastic role on my academic performance in the big picture or my SAT scores so I didn't feel the need. If he wants to, it is his decision, but i doubt it would have much to do with his being accepted or not.
    Animas 2020, Rapid-D sets
    Dexcom continuous glucose meter!
    Graduating May 10, 2008. Wedding May 31, 2008. Moving into an eco-friendly apartment 500 miles away: July 1, 2008! :-O

Poverty stole your golden shoes
    but it didn't steal your laughter
    And heartache came to visit me
    but i knew it wasn't ever after
    We will fight, not out of spite
    for someone must stand up for what's right
    cause where there's a man who has no voice
    there ours shall go singing
    *VOTE FOR PEACE*

Advice from someone who's been there: DON'T TELL!!!!

Default College

I am a senior in college, and at least in the United States, I see no reason why mentioning diabetes would be necessary, but also no reason to hold back he information. Basically, it doesn't matter.

If you are talking with admissions representatives, it can be an interesting discussion topic as long as you don' get into the gritty details of injections. Talk more about how it made you more mature or overcome obstacles.

If you are applying for financial aid, use it to plea that you need extra financial support because you spend so much on your health care, which sets up a disadvantage.

Some schools have support groups, maybe even a club if it is a big enough school. But as someone who has worked in admissions, I don't see any reason stating that you are diabetic would hurt.

-Andy

10. Default

I don't think it will really improve the chances of acceptance.