advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What they didn't teach you at the hospital at diagnosis

Default What they didn't teach you at the hospital at diagnosis

Did any of you find out the hard way about some of the things the hospital forgot to tell you about diabetic care?

I know the one that really threw me for a loop was how to refill the Novopen cartridge. It's really tricky, and I happened to run out of Novolog when I was babysitting a group of kids at church. I had to call my husband frantically for help (he's T-1 too). I could not get the screw to wind back down to the bottom. I was lucky that his work was only 10-minutes away, because I was really panicked.

I'm glad I've joined the online group so I can get more education to avoid little surprises. It's great!
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 10, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 7 (not diabetic)
    Brian (husband) is 38, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

‎"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

I could write a book on the things that the hospital forgot to tell me, doctors included, or didn't explain correctly, etc. . .

It is a crash course for us as well as many of you. We could have stayed there longer, but I am of the opinion that you're not going to get good at D-care unless you do it yourself. Of course, I learned much of everything I know from the forum. Thank goodness for CWD!!

Wow!
    That's a hard one, because there is just so much to absorb.

What they didn't tell us:
    How to calibrate/code a meter
    That there are syringes with 1/2 u markings (pharmacist told me)
    It is not neccessary to feed your child sf/low carb foods
    It's ok to feed your child pretty much anything within reason
    To invest in a good scale

On the other hand, the nurse who was in charge of us was wonderful. She told me the importance of logging to track trends, always having a calculator handy
    What to have in an emergency pack
    And she told me about this wonderful little website called "Children With Diabetes!"
    I feel I got more info from the ped nurse than I did from the hospital D team and nutritionist.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

my hospital didn't mention anything about a scale. A few months after diagnosis I had to take a nutrition class, and they broke out the measuring cups. When he was hospitalized again in Nov. and endo asked what the heck that scale was for (I brought in my own food for him since they had the ADA/awful diet food there).
    That's all I can think of for now, it's all kind of been a blur!

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative

There is so much more info they could have given us. BUT as you all know our brains needed the time to learn on our own time. They told me I could stop checking overnight when I got home. That did'nt happen.

Basically I was taught to feed Trey s/f foods at a major hospital in New Orleans area. That upset me I feel so bad for the poor kids that don't have parents that will go the extra effort to learn as much as they can.
    Robin

Mom toTrey11 dx'd 8/14/06 pumping blue/mm522 w/Novalog ~ SURE T's

I'm not so sure it wasn't what they missed as much as what I was to overwhelmed to absorb!
    Mom to Stuart, age 13, dx'd 5-25-04, Ashley, 25, and Richie, age 22

I don't think my brain would of remembered half of what they told me. I was just thinking the other day it would be nice to have a refresher course on some stuff, and we're almost two years into this. I think all of that "stuff" they were trying to cram into two days would make a whole lot more sense to me now.
    Carrie
    6 year old daughter
    Dxd 04-20-06
    Pumping since 12-05-06

My creative corner (aka...stress relief ) -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thepumpinpatch/

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    I'm not so sure it wasn't what they missed as much as what I was to overwhelmed to absorb!
    Here here!
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:

Not too sure of what they didn't tell us. But I remember the nutritionist going on and on about the diets in third world countries. I was so tired I just wanted to cry and scream at her, just teach me what to feed my kid so we can get out of here!! Overall our hospital experience was pretty bad.

I don't know if it was sheer tiredness and being overwhelmed, but I truly feel I learned more here then from the educators at the hospital.

Oh, and I know I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I HATE that pink panther book. I know its a good reference and all, but I just hate all that it represents. It was the first thing they gave us to read and we went over it one day and the realization of what my daughter had started to sink in. Still kind of makes me sick to look at it.
    Holly
    Mom to CC ~ age 18
    Dx'd 01-22-07
    OmniPodding since June 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CC'sMom View Post
    Oh, and I know I'm probably the only one that feels this way, but I HATE that pink panther book. I know its a good reference and all, but I just hate all that it represents. It was the first thing they gave us to read and we went over it one day and the realization of what my daughter had started to sink in. Still kind of makes me sick to look at it.
    Funny, I felt the same way. I didn't use it, used other refrence books instead. I finally donated it one day.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position: