advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 year old just diagnosed

Question 5 year old just diagnosed

Hello, my 5 year old daughter Allison was just diagnosed w/ type 1 diabetes. It is very overwelming and a little scary. We found out at a routine check up. They tested her A1C(?) which was 15. I quess that wasn't good, 'cause the doc. started making phone calls to get her admitted at Childrens Hospital in our area. Once admitted there were so many people in and out of her room talking and pricking her finger, her blood sugar level was in the 600. We were given so much info. I couldn't retain it all, I hadn't even had a chanse to obsorb the fact she had Diabetes none the less what it was or how to treat it!! She is now home 3 days later, and I am so nervous to be alone with her, I don't feel confident in myself at what to do. I feel like I was given so much info. for a medical exam and if I don't pass it's my daughters health at stake. Does it get any easier to where you don't cry every night when you put her to bed 'cause you don't want her to see your scared?? Does any one have suggestion to make the finger pricks and shots easier on her?? They have us on a Carb counting diet, insulin (Novalog) after meals and Lantus at bedtime. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited.

I'm glad you found this forum...and sorry you have to be here at the same time. It will get easier. Noah was dx last month. Everything is very overwhelming and scary...but in time you start to get the hang of it. I noticed with Noah that the shots and pokes became easier for him the second week in. He started feeling better and was thankful for that. This forum is great because there are a ton of helpful parents ready to try and answer your questions or just to let you know you are not alone at the drop of a hat. Never be afraid to ask question.

Hang in there!!!

(((Hugs to you and your family)))
    Mother of three...
    Tristin 13 Non D
    Noah 9 type 1 dx 1/22/08
    Sophia 7 Non D
    Married to Brian 11 years

Welcome Alley's Mom. I'm sorry you have a reason to be here, but you are very fortunate (and smart) to have found this site so quickly (I didn't find it for nearly 2 years after my son's diagnosis).

Focus on the basics at first.

*Test often...but not too often that you are making yourself insane.

*Always double check what type of insulin you are administering.

*Learn the basic carb counting, and be sure to weigh and measure things, at least until you feel more comfortable eyeballing it (and even then, it's good to occasionally weigh and measure to make sure that your portion sizes are accurate. Many people here like the Salter scales for carb counting.

*Keeping to a regular schedule at first will be helpful. Once you get a better feel for things you can loosen up a bit.

The good news is that it will get easier ("easier" being a relative term...it will never really be "easy"). The bad news is that it might take a while. Please know that it is very normal to feel alone, frightened and overwhelmed at this point. That's why we are here!
    You can do this. In a few months, you will be amazed at how far you've come and how much you've learned.

And just an FYI in case you haven't already figured this out...there is much more traffic on the "parents of Type 1 diabetics" forum. Either place is fine to post, but you'll typically get more response there.

Beth
    Mom of 3 boys; oldest dx 5/04 at age 8 (now 14)
    pumping with MM722 since 4/07

4. Default Alley's Mom, I was where you were....

I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations but I also understand. My daughter Ellie was diagnosed on Jan. 9, 2008. This web sight is a wonderful place to get answers to your many questions. Another thing that helped me is a book called 'EVERYTHING PARENT'S GUIDE TO CHILDREN WITH JUVENILE DIABETES', written by Moira McCarthy. It was the book that referred me to this wonderful web sight and also has been teaching me a bunch about type 1 diabetes and the differences between this and type 2. It is teaching me how to care for my child, what the technical terms mean, and how to answer 'friends and family' who TRY to help but who don't really understand what this diagnosis means.
    I have learned to much from this book and I am not even half way though it yet.
    The more you learn and the more capable you will feel and the more your child will believe that you DO know everything..........at least untill they reach teen years but for that I need another book
    Oh, and by the way.........though my daughter (just turned 8) still doesn't particularly like the shots, she has kind of gotten to like the finger pokin'........yes, she may just be weird.
    God's blessing to you,
    Ellie's mom

Hi there
    Sorry you had to join the club. Having been through the D journey twice , I can tell you that it will get easier and that it is perfectly natural to be completely overwhelmed. You haven't even had time to absorb the news you got, let alone all the info they throw at you. A few pieces of advice to keep your sanity.
    1)First of all, keep everything at home as simple as possible. I kept our menus pretty similar week to week for the first while . We measured food and really worked on learning carb counting. (Our dietician helped us to set up a weeks menu at hospital so we just kept on doing it until I was ready to go out on my own.)
    2)For my little girl, we got the multiclix ***** - it apparently doesn't hurt as much as other lancing devices. Use the finest guage needles possible for insulinWe used pen needles as that is easier for a child (or other person) to learn to use for self injection
    3) Use the diabetic clinic as much as possible - they are there to help you through this and there is NEVER a dumb question.
    4) If you have favorite recipes or recipe books, figure out the carbs and write it right in the recipe book.

5) Tell everyone you know about your child's condition - some people don't do this as they feel it is a private matter, but I think the more people who know about my children's diabetes, the safer they are.
    6) Look after you and your relationships - diabetes can be all consuming and quite often Mom takes on the care - be sure dad knows what to do too plus he will be hurting too
    7) Talk to your child's playmates and their parents - be sure they know that everything will be ok . My children's friends were told that if they thought my child wasnot being themselves, that they should tell them to test themselves.THe parents can get a quick lesson in what to do about a low
    8)Realize that target BG numbers are exactly that - targets. If you are a perfectionist, diabetes will drive you crazy. Do the best you can - keep your numbers a s close to target as you can - hitting target 50% of the time is great- the most important thing is to try and keep numbers from swinging too much. The fine tuning will come with experience.

It will get easier and soon you will look at this as an inconvenience .Your child will be able to do whatever they want and will be healthy and happy.It does get better

It will get better and everyone here on this board will help you in any way possible.

My daughter was diagnosed over a year ago and she was transported to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. I think I read two books and cried the entire 4 days there while my daughter was sleeping. Doctors in and out of the room all hours of the day.

1. I kept a journal of every time she ate her meals which they put her on a 60 carbs per meal.

2. How much insulin was given.

3. Lantus was given however I noticed that it would drop her low at her 2am -4am check, so we had to give 1/2 in the a.m and 1/2 in the p.m.

I have noticed that if you go to Youtube and type in diabetes there is so much information there also as well as the bag of hope bag that you should have received at the hospital.

We are all here, ask as many questions and read through the boards. You are not alone in this situation at all. There are GREAT people on here...

Tracy
    Proud Parent of Spoiled Children
    Brittney age 13(dxd 1-19-07) Pumping since 6/07 Animas 2020 Nickolas age 8
    Married for 17years

Video:www.youtube.com/teambrittney

Default .

I already have type one, have for nine years.
    Just two days ago my 22 mo. old sister was diagnosed.
    It really is scary/sad/overwelming

I wish the best for you and your daughter.
    (I just joined the site two minutes ago!)
    =D

It does get better. I cried for long time too. Its all normal now.

I keep supplies in car. things for lows-we like the fruit rollups/gummies, lancets, needles, pump supplies. Its real hard to give insulin if you don'thave needle. btdt.

keep a meter/flashlight by her bed for nighttime checks.

you don't need to pay for meters. every meter companie should give you at least 2 freeones, sometimes your insurance co. will give you one. and then you'll get one in bag of hope, and your endo should have some free ones.

Oh and one last thing. you may have noticed they're cranky when high, and sometimes low.

oh the "sugar free" candy-really isn't-have to do weird math to figure carbs for them, and it will give them tummy aches if they eat alot. I think you subtract the sugar alcohols from total carbs, but not sure.

oh and we eat same things as we used to. I initially got rid of alot of things in pantry. sara still eats cookies, donuts, cake etc etc. we just eat healthy diet, and she must bolus for carbs eaten.

Oh I see your from Emporia va! I'm in Frederickburg. You'll must see the endo's in richmond. We see Kari McCray NP I like her a lot.
    Last edited by fredntan2; 02-23-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Frannie Fran Fran

Megan 21
    Sara 17
    dx 9/9/05
    MM Revel 8/10

we don't use CGMS cause we're waiting for the kindler gentler insertion sets-let me know when they get to The States

(Sorry if my first post went thru unfinished. I'm new to this group.)
    Hi Alley's Mom,
    I'm sorry Alley has diabetes. It can be very hard to figure out at first. Just keep asking questions until you feel more sure of what to do. My son was diagnosed 2 yrs ago when he was 15. We live in the Richmond area, not far from you. What hospital did you go to? Who do you use for your Endocronologist? We are with the MCV/VCU group.

To make the finger pricks and shots easier, you may want to practice on yourself or on an orange or something so you can learn to do it quickly (don't give yourself insulin, obviously). Also you can give her a sticker chart and give her stickers for sitting still or whatever you feel will work. I've also heard that having the child blow bubbles while getting a shot will help it not hurt as bad and it distracts them. Unfortunately, there will be many pricks and shots so she will get use to it. Just remember that it has to be done and you aren't being mean.

It will all get easier for all of you as time goes on. There are always things to worry about but the day to day stuff gets to be a routine.

Barbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alley's mom View Post
    Does it get any easier to where you don't cry every night when you put her to bed 'cause you don't want her to see your scared??
    Yes and No.

You develop a new "normal". However, suddenly out of nowhere you become sad and overwhelmed.

My daughter got used to the shots and pokes fairly quickly. Then, after about a month, she totally fell apart when it was time for a shot. That only lasted a couple of weeks and she was back to being "OK" with them.

Keep coming here for support. Ask any question without hesitation.
    GA Gov. Deal signs Diabetes Care in School Law

Elissa, and Larry 33 years!
    Melissa - 14 (diagnosed 01/03/07)
    Non D-Bethany 26, Allen 24, AJ 20, Christina 13, Leah 9
    Grammy to Isaac - 4
    Pumping with Animas PING -Blue

Find me on Facebook @ : http://www.facebook.com/elissa.holder