advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs in a piece of birthday cake?

Default How many carbs in a piece of birthday cake?

It's my husband's birthday and we're having cake. I know Alison will want some. Does anyone know how many carbs would be in a small piece of cake? I haven't the foggiest idea how many carbs to count. It's a store-bought cake. Thank you.

Paula
    Paula

Mom to Alison, 14, diagnosed 1/9/08. Pumping with green Animas Ping 10/17/08. Celiac disease diagnosed 8/18/10. Alison also has developmental delays and epilepsy.
    Also Mom to Erin, Tim, and Brian - 25, 21, and 19 (all homeschooled)

Wink Hope this helps

Do you have a scale?? If you do weigh the piece of cake in grams and multiply by .55 (assuming it is a frosted cake)
    ALSO, I REALLY RECCOMEND CHECKING OUT THE WEBSITE
    www.carbperfectionist.com

Its a mom of a child with D who explains how to use carb factors and the benefits of them.

Happy Birthday!

I made homemade cake for my daughter's birthday this weekend.

I took the amounts on the box for cake and icing, added the total carbs per serving x total servings to get the total carbs in the entire cake. I think divided it by 24, assuming we were going to have 24 pieces of cake. The carbs were between 48-58g.

I then weighed a piece and got in the same range.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    Emma - 9 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

Thank you.

Tjirvin314, I do have a scale so I weighed the piece of cake and used the carb factor. I guess her bedtime bg will tell me how it worked. I have been using carb factors quite a bit for the last week or so. So far it's worked pretty well with some of the casseroles. I also figured carb factors on some of the things I usually bake. My chocolate chip cookies have a high carb factor. I'm going to try another batch and cut down on the brown sugar and see how that works out. It certainly adds some extra time to the home-cooked meals, but I'm keeping a list of the carb factors for future reference.

Nowimscrappin, how big of a piece was the 1/24th of a cake? I'd like to compare it to the piece I cut and weighed. This was a store-bought 1/4 sheet cake.

Thank you again.

Paula
    Paula

Mom to Alison, 14, diagnosed 1/9/08. Pumping with green Animas Ping 10/17/08. Celiac disease diagnosed 8/18/10. Alison also has developmental delays and epilepsy.

Well, I'm not remembering the weight, but it was probably 2" x 2", if I had to guess
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    as of 9/07

For any nutrition info label that does not have a weight on it, especially store-bought cakes that have a not-so-helpful "1/12 of cake" as a serving size, this is what I do:

Calculate the carbs for the whole cake. Say 50g x 12 = 600g.
    Now weigh the entire cake, say 890g.

600/890 = 0.67 carb factor. Slice, weigh, and multiple as normal.

It always winds up being about 40g for a normal-sized slice.

Quote Originally Posted by saxmaniac View Post
    For any nutrition info label that does not have a weight on it, especially store-bought cakes that have a not-so-helpful "1/12 of cake" as a serving size, this is what I do:

Calculate the carbs for the whole cake. Say 50g x 12 = 600g.
    Now weigh the entire cake, say 890g.

600/890 = 0.67 carb factor. Slice, weigh, and multiple as normal.

It always winds up being about 40g for a normal-sized slice.

Yeah, I don't think they should ever be able to say that is a portion size. BUT, the cake mix AND frosting both have that as portion size. That's how I came up with the 48-58 last weekend. I think I split the difference when I dosed her and we were pretty close to right on. If you are unsure, you can always under-dose and correct later - I always think that's better than overdosing.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    as of 9/07

A two inch square including a normal amount of icing is about 30 grams

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

I use .62 for cake and frosting (per Hold and MamaBelle) as a carb factor. It works well at our house.
    If it's a high amount of frosting (like they put on the cupcakes at Walmart) I use .65.
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (19)
    Abby (10) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"

Supper was late, so the doctor said to include the cake and ice cream as part of the supper bolus. She ate her supper and about 20-30 minutes later had the cake and ice cream (small piece of cake and 1/2 cup of ice cream). She finished eating the cake about 7:45 p.m. At 9:45 her bg was 91. Honeymooning may be confusing the issue here, but at least for tonight the .55 carb factor was plenty.

She is starting to require snacks before bedtime it seems. It's not every night, but it is occurring more often. Our suppers are usually at about 6:30 p.m. and bedtime is 9 or 9:30. I don't know if this is related to the supper bolus ratio. I haven't gotten a good handle on what's related to boluses and what's related to the basal. If it's basal, there's no room to lower the lantus since she's only getting that 1/2 unit per day.

Well, that's the rather long update on how it went. Thank you for your help.

Paula
    Paula