advertisement

Thread: Problem with Levemir Flexpen

Default Problem with Levemir Flexpen

Hello Everyone,
    Was just wondering if anyone ever has any trouble with their Levemir Flexpen? My son takes 18 units at bedtime and this last time i injected him with it, It seemed hard to click the units (not sure how to describe this) Its like i had to force it to go. Then it bled. Think I'll switch pens to a new one tomorrow night and see how it goes.
    Leslie,
    Mom to "Ryan" (13) Dx'd 1/15/08
    MDI (Novolog & Levemir)

Wife to Dan (17 years)
    Mom to Kelly age 15

hey good to see another Levemir family on here! Hope it's working for you, but don't have any thoughts on the flexpen as we do everything with syringes..

Proud Dad of Amy (18), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (13); very happy husband of Shirla!

We also had problems with a full box of the Levemir flex pens. They were hard to push in. I said something to our Diabetes Educator out here in Iowa. I think she thought we were nuts. The levemir rep was in her office three days after her and I got together. They said there was nothing wrong with the pen, and it must have been our technique. Then gave us a line of, have them put a clean needle on, have the do a test drip, and so on and so on. I told the DE, been there done that, and WE hate the levemir pens, but that is what my daughters insurance will approve. We hate, we hate, we hate. After two pens for that box, I dont us that box no more. We just opened up a new box, I still dont like the Levemir pens.
    I want to go back using the Lantus, delivery is much easier. Just my opinion.

Forget about drawing the insulin out of the bottle with the needles, by daughter cant do that accurately, so we dont go there.
    *~*~Michelle~*~*

Thanks Michelle,
    Thats the problem we're having. I thought maybe it was just hard to push in since we're adminstering 18 units. We've only been doing this for a little over a week, since he was diagnosed on the 15th of January. I'll let ya know how tonight goes with the night dose.
    Leslie,
    MDI (Novolog & Levemir)

Wife to Dan (17 years)
    Mom to Kelly age 15

Is there anyway that you can use a syringe to extract the levemir instead of using the flexpen device?

Jennifer

When we had all the problem with the flex pen, we were doing 26 units of the Levemir. So I would dial it back down to 1 or 2, do a test shot, and it was fine, I went back and dialed 28 units, could not push it in. So I repeated it several times, changed needles three times. NOTHING. I hate the levemir pen, I dont think its designed very well, just my opinon.

My daughters primary dr stated that if we continue to have problems with the levemir pens, then she will write a prescription and letter of medical necessity to get the lantus pen overed. Through the endocrine office, my daughter is the only client on Levemir. (not our choice, but insurance). Now I dont know how the new lantus pen is, we have the old stlye where you just change the cartridge.
    *~*~Michelle~*~*

I haven't talked to the doctor about this yet, but using a syringe isn't an option. My son said he would just endure the pain of the push till we can figure something else out with the doctor. (I feel like i'm stabbing him with it) Hopefully they can change to something different.
    Leslie,
    MDI (Novolog & Levemir)

Wife to Dan (17 years)
    Mom to Kelly age 15

Kenny was on levemir and now on the new lantus pen. We had that problem a few times , and found out we had a bad box of needles,we kept changing the needle(out of the same box)I opened a new box and it solved the problem!

Default 2nd box same way

Well we change the needles everytime he takes a shot. The problem is in the pen itself. I tossed the one from last night since it was almost empty anyways and opened a new one...........Same thing......Hard to click!! I hate this!!!
    Leslie,
    MDI (Novolog & Levemir)

Wife to Dan (17 years)
    Mom to Kelly age 15