advertisement

Thread: Aging Out Of Coverage: Young Adults With Special Health Needs

Default Aging Out Of Coverage: Young Adults With Special Health Needs

Here's something we need to go to the legislature about

Aging Out Of Coverage: Young Adults With Special Health Needs

http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi...0/6/254?ck=nck

Does anyone know if ADA is involved with this issue?

I think that they are just beginning. If you go onto their site and look into health care and click on your state they will give you a company name that will give you insurance even with a pre existing. I have to say though that this is not enough.

I have been thinking about these issues alot lately as I watch my son get older, you know, the ripe old age of thirteen. Seriously though I just spoke with Rep Pavlov in our state about some of these issues. I emailed all of our presidential candidates about accomodations in school and health care etc. No one has answered yet of coarse and I don't know if they will but something needs to be done.

I was sitting there thinking: How do our kids pay back student loans, cover supplies and support themselves? I was thinking that when we move back to the burbs and are not so rural that maybe I need to go back to work and start saving up for the extra expense. Ty really likes having me available. When I was working it was always stressful for me when I had to take time off even though I knew where I needed to be. Ty could feel it. He does not want me to work. He almost started to cry the other day when I was talking about it.

Realistically, I will have my daughter in college in a year and a half. As soon as she gets out he will be going in. Then medical after that. Part of the issue has been our location. Everything is so far away. I think if we ever get our home sold that I will be bored with everything so close and easy that I will have to do something with the extra time on my hands. I had thought about volunteering more within the community. I may have to rethink this one.

Tami

Oh my that was a long article. I think I'm like my boys - I thought I liked to read.

Don't know if ADA is involved, but I certainly know of a young adult female with Type 1 who is uninsured right now. The plan is to have her on company insurance July 1 - but she is lapsing in coverage right now.

I feel like part of the endo team care should be talking to the young patients about insurance coverage as they spread their wings - I know it's not a medical issue but where else are they going to hear about how they have to handle this? It can end up to be a very expensive mess!

Tami you're a wonderful parent - there's an issue where some parents aren't supporting their kids at all financially (intentionally or they don't have an option) - the young adults are up against huge financial and medical issues alone. It's sad.

Ellen if I had concrete action to take, I'd take it. I have to say I've written letters to public officials - I feel like it does nothing. Sorry I know bad attitude.
    son/26 dx'd 6/06 Pumping Novolog: Omnipod and Dex G4

Laurie, this young woman needs to get some form of coverage. If the insurance company see's a lapse they may put a six month pre-existing clause into affect and she won't get her supplies paid for at minimum for that amount of time.

Have her go to www.diabetes.org, click of health care and then her state. What should pop up are companies that will insure her. I don't know the cost but it may be worth paying if there is a pre-existing clause on their policy.

Tami

Thanks Tami. I'll look into that and share the information. She is also seeing a social worker to see what assistance is out there. I've pulled great resources available too. Haven't looked where you mentioned.
    son/26 dx'd 6/06 Pumping Novolog: Omnipod and Dex G4