advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 504 plan at a Catholic school?

Default 504 plan at a Catholic school?

Does anyone know if Catholic schools have to accept a 504 plan?
    Also, can someone please point me in the direction of a good template.
    Thanks.
    Heather
    Mom to Trevor, 10 years old (Aug. 14) dxd 9/10/07
    and to Daniel, 6 (Oct. 17th), non D
    and wife to Corey since 2001.

Pumping with animas since April 22, 2008

if they take any federal funding they have to accept a 504 plan
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Most catholic schools will honor one because they want your cash...
    I hope yours does. I went to parochial school, (catholic) and would love to send my kids but our tuition is insane. IN SANE!!!
    Mary Jennifer Dean
    IV League Nurse.

Nolan, 11, dx'd at 7. Drumming fool and now learnign tenor Sax.
    www.sacwd.org

www.jendean.blogspot.com

Go to www.diabetes.org and print sample 504. Also call 1-800-diabetes and ask for their discrimination package this contains alot of information that will be helpful for you. They only have to accomodate your child if they receive any federal funding, otherwise it's wishful thinking. I have had alot of parents pull their kids from Catholic schools because they have not enforced a 504. They could say okay we will do these things but if they don't you've got no backing. It has no strength to it. It is however a good idea to have everyone clear on what all of you agree upon as far as services for your child. Good luck to you.

Tami

I wish I had an hour to reply to this thread! My daughter is in a Catholic school and it has been absolutely horrible! It really is a long story, but I asked for a 504 and was denied. The principal told me if I wanted to sue him and the school, to go right ahead. He has since "resigned." (Not because of us.) And, while it's not as nasty, it's not much better with the new principal. While I do think I have grounds to fight this, my daughter is feeling extremely uncomfortable and asked me to step back. This is her 8th grade year. She is going to a public high school in the fall. My son who is in 5th grade will also be moving to a public school then too. I'm heart broken. I see very little Christian attitude when it came to our situation....
    Holly
    Mom to CC ~ age 18
    Dx'd 01-22-07
    OmniPodding since June 2007

My son went to a Catholic school from Pre-k to 2nd grade. As soon as they heard me say 504 plan they got defensive. It's like they thought that meant I want a way to sue them or something. The first thing the principal told me was Catholic schools don't get federal funding so a 504 wouldn't hold up anyway. I hope you have better luck.
    Mom to Jonah, 9, dx'd Diabetes 2-14-01 Celiac 3-8-06

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, church-run schools and daycares are immune from having to make reasonable accommodation. We learned that the hard way.
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

My kids go to a private Christian school and they do not honor 504 plans. In fact, they told the parents of a Kindergartener on a pump that they would not be responsible for any of her medical care. Girl had to move to a public school. Emily is self-sufficient (and has an awesome teacher) so we stay. Our public schools really suck.

Emily has 2 D friends who go to a local Catholic school. There is no nurse and the school will not do a 504. However, the principal will not allow the girls to test in the classroom, they have to come to the office. No matter what.

Most religious private schools do not take federal money and do not have to accept 504 plans. If your child is pretty self-sufficient, it may be OK. Otherwise you may have to consider public school.
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

I think given the right circumstances, it can be done. The first thing I would do is call the head of the all the Catholic schools in your dioceses. Ask them if the Catholic schools receive federal funding (ours does). Then Iíd start at the top. Go to the Monsignor of the church. Tell him what you need and why. In fact, I think Iíd have a meeting with the Monsignor and the principal at the same time.

There was a girl in our school a year older then my daughter that did have a 504 in place. It was signed by the previous principal who had retired the year before my daughter was diagnosed. The new principal wouldnít sign one for me. So it depends on whoís running the show. Thatís why I feel you need the Monsignor in your court. Of course, in our dioceses they only have a 12 year term, so Iíd find out when heís leaving too.

Another thing to do is call your state representative. There maybe laws in Ohio that are on your side. Iím in Pennsylvania and there is a law now in committee that would have helped us greatly. Unfortunately by the time itís signed into law, my daughter will probably be in college.

I guess you have to decide how much of a fight itís worth. Look at Lindy (Nicky), a public school asking her to change her sonís pump??? So you can run into road blocks anywhere. It just depends how much sweat and tears you want to put into it. But the one thing I did learn, is there is no way my child will ever go to another school without a 504 in place. Things change, people in positions of power change, you need to be protected, no matter what.
    Holly
    Mom to CC ~ age 18
    Dx'd 01-22-07
    OmniPodding since June 2007

When we signded Trevor up for school, we applied for a scholorship and got it. They paid for half of his tuition. Does that mean they are federal funded? His school is really great, they haven't given us a problem yet,,,knock on wood. (Other than the incident yesterday, but I think they just don't know that he shouldn't walk by himself when feeling funny.) His principal even came up to the hospital to see him when he was dxd! And it was only 3 weeks into school, so its not like she "knew" him. I just hate to ask about a 504 and have them get all defensive and stop being so "nice" and understanding. Trevor is not self sufficiant. He can check himself, but he hasn't grasped what a low number or a high number is. It really makes me nervous with him going outside for recess too, because they have parents come in and volunteer time to watch them. They were told at the beginning that whoever was out with him, had to know what to do, but what if they don't? What if he needs his glucagon and its in the nurse's office, and nobody knows what to do?!
    Oh man, maybe I will just look into home schooling him!
    Thanks for all your responses.
    Heather
    Mom to Trevor, 10 years old (Aug. 14) dxd 9/10/07
    and to Daniel, 6 (Oct. 17th), non D
    and wife to Corey since 2001.

Pumping with animas since April 22, 2008