advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accucheck Aviva and Freestyle Lite comparison

Default Accucheck Aviva and Freestyle Lite comparison

Hello,

A few weeks back there was a discussion on how the different meters registered differently.

We did an experiment with my family. We took a blood sample and tested it with both the Aviva and the Freestyle lite.

These are the results:

FreeStyle Lite Accu-chek Aviva
    89 90
    96 96
    95 106 (We used two different blood pokes)
    102 101
    130 123

The only big difference we saw was when DH had two blood pokes and I took one measurement from one blood poke and another from the other. Otherwise they were pretty close :-).

Jennifer

We have both those meters, too Our comparisons have been very similar to what you posted. Great idea to post them.

I had both, and the AccuCheck Aviva is far more accurate as far as I'm concerned. There were way too many suspicious readings with the Freestyle Lite, and the strips seem flimsy.

Another reading

Freestyle lite 295

Aviva 301

Yes... it is one of those days!

I have been comparing the contour with the aviva. i have been back and fourth on which meter i want to go with. I have 2 contours and one reads lower the other

Contour 1 147
    Contour 2 175

Aviva 169

i like how the contour has no coding, but i like the size of the aviva strips.

Rania
    *~*~*~*
    Rania
    Mom to
    Lathan 8 non D
    Kalissa 6 DX 9/6/06 - novalog, pumping Cozmo 11/21/07
    and Holtin 4 non D
    Wife to Rex DX T1 1977 - Humalog, pumping MM 722

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferM View Post
    Hello,

A few weeks back there was a discussion on how the different meters registered differently.

We did an experiment with my family. We took a blood sample and tested it with both the Aviva and the Freestyle lite.

These are the results:

FreeStyle Lite Accu-chek Aviva
    89 90
    96 96
    95 106 (We used two different blood pokes)
    102 101
    130 123

The only big difference we saw was when DH had two blood pokes and I took one measurement from one blood poke and another from the other. Otherwise they were pretty close :-).

Jennifer
    YEA! Because we love our Lite

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

We changed to the Aviva because we had 2 Freestyles and a Freestyle Light that were giving innaccurate readings. How do we know? Zach's A1C went UP to 11.5 and then we went to the Aviva and it went back down 9.3 in 3 months. We keep the Freestyles for emergencies and I like having the light on it, but we are definitely Aviva users now.
    Michele-dx t2 2/13/10, mom to
    Ethan 6/12/01
    Zach 3/9/04 dx t1 4/29/06 Pumping with Ping (green this time) since 08

I had to replace one Freestyle Lite because the readings were super inaccurate (we're talking like 100 points inaccurate!!). The company replaced it for us, and we still got really inaccurate readings (50+ points inaccurate) with the new one, even though they were not as common as with the first one. I just don't trust it. I like that it has a light, no coding, and it's small, but I don't care for the design of the test strips, and the accuracy left much to be desired.

How do I know the Aviva is accurate, she rarely gets hypoglycemia, and most of the time she gets back into range. I've also tested it on myself and retested several times on her. If I get a suspicious reading, I make her wash her hands, and the reading still doesn't deviate that much (5 to 10 points). With the Freestyle, every time I got a suspicious reading, I would retest, and it would be totally different, even after washing hands. Elizabeth's nanny would also notice this when she would test her. I also don't like that it says "hi" when it's over 400. The Aviva doesn't do this. If she's high, I want to know how high.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc51264 View Post
    We changed to the Aviva because we had 2 Freestyles and a Freestyle Light that were giving innaccurate readings. How do we know? Zach's A1C went UP to 11.5 and then we went to the Aviva and it went back down 9.3 in 3 months. We keep the Freestyles for emergencies and I like having the light on it, but we are definitely Aviva users now.
    That's quite telling.

Isnt there a way to have the endo do a blood draw and compare the meters to what her bg really is?

I mean if I use 5 testers and they range from 100-200... how do I know which one is really right?