advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Profile Posts

1. DiabetesMama
    DiabetesMama
    Thank you for all the info Brenda. Yeah, I am just learning about celiac by reading the forum hear and some of the books I have also include some info on this, I just wanted to take one thing at a time. LOL! I sure hope he doesn't come down with anything else, but I guess none of us would be on this site if we could choose. Well, thanks again and take care. Nice to meet you, Brenda.
  2. Brenda
    Brenda DiabetesMama
    Was looking at your profile to see where you live to see if I might know a therapist there, but I do not. Noticed you said you did not know what celiac is (per your profile). Celiac disease is an allergy to wheat gluten. Another autoimmune disease, it can happen to those with type 1. Make sure your diabetes team does a TTG test (transglutaminase) maybe once a year (every year, every two years--ask them about the frequency of testing). It's just a blood test. If positive, some opt for a confirmatory endoscopy, but that's a pain. I have heard that the blood test is pretty accurate (a positive is a high number--just heard a teen say hers was 800, which is very high). If you are interested, we, CWD, hold an annual conference in July in Orlando Friends for Life), at which we offer free celiac testing. Preliminary info will be on this site in a month. Dates are July 5-10. There should be scholarships through the Diabetes Scholars Foundation (check in Jan) to help pay the conference fee.
  3. Lisa P.
    Lisa P. mmgirls
    Hi, sorry, check in every once in a pretty long while, I don't write on the forum any more, and didn't see you'd left a message until now. We're doing fine, hope you are all doing great, miss you all and thanks so much for checking in!
    Lisa
  4. mmgirls
    mmgirls Lisa P.
    How you doing?
  5. Austins mom
    Austins mom sincity2003
    hi there, I saw that you have a 9 yr old son named Austin! I have an 8 yr old named Austin also t1. He would love to find a boy around his age to become pen pals with!!! Would your Austin be interested? We live in Northern CA close to the oregon boarder. Let me know :)
  6. Darryl
    Darryl
    Jonah that is very interesting, thank you. I will try it again. Really had enough of looking at the CGM in the morning and seeing overnight #'s between 100 and 120 with no alarm.
  7. TheFormerLantusFiend
    TheFormerLantusFiend Darryl
    Hey Darryl, I was thinking about how calibrating 20 mg/dl lower wasn't working and it occurred to me- you'd need to calibrate a percentage lower and calculate it that way in order to have it be consistent, not an absolute number lower. The G4 does its calibrations with a best fit ratio based on the latest three calibrations (which are matched to SG from fifteen minutes before the calibration- I think), according to their published data.
  8. Tricia22
    Tricia22 mamattorney
    May I ask which endocrinology practice you go to? I am looking to move back to Illinois / Wisconsin to be closer to family, and my ultimate career goal is to be a CDE in a pedi endo clinic, so I'm trying to network and connect with anyone I can at local practices.
    Thanks!
    Tricia Moore
    triciamoore2@aol.com
  9. Joretta
    Joretta
    On its way
  10. coeen
    coeen Joretta
    HI Joretta,
    I was trying to open the blood glucose cheat sheet but I can't for some reason.
    Can you email it to me please?
    Thank you!!
    Colleen coeen@cox.net
  11. NomadIvy
    NomadIvy WittsEnd
    WittsEnd... I believe your best course of action is to go to a family therapist. It's usually not my first response..but when we attended the Friends for Life conference this year I met two wonderful therapists who were also diabetes educators and they work with families dealing with issues involving chronic conditions. You might want to search for this kind of therapist. I don't believe any child should have therapy by themselves but go through it with one or both parents and possibly with siblings as well. Hope things improve.
  12. MomofSweetOne
    MomofSweetOne WittsEnd
    Sometimes with out-of-control yeast infections within the body, the fugus can release toxins that affect the brain and behavior. With the high sugar issues of diabetes, it might be a possible cause of some of the behaviors.
  13. TheFormerLantusFiend
    TheFormerLantusFiend WittsEnd
    I am not a parent. I am an autistic man from an autistic family (myself and four brothers diagnosed; parents undiagnosed but diagnosable) who has done a lot of parenting for my autistic younger brothers, and who has experience working with children (plus a teaching degree).
    I also have the experience of having had special needs not addressed in school (or elsewhere) and exploding at home, and I also attempted suicide before the age of ten (as well as at the age of eleven, but not since).
  14. TheFormerLantusFiend
    TheFormerLantusFiend WittsEnd
    I'd rather not post this in the forum (I'd rather put it in a private message or email, but you haven't enabled those). Here are my thoughts about your post:

How much of this do you think has to do with diabetes?
    Has she ever attended a diabetes camp or been around other people with diabetes + celiac?

I do think switching to needles would likely not be as bad as you think.

Have you tried a behavior plan? If so, how does she respond to it?

What you are describing, if it is happening with lots of different triggers, sounds to me a lot like a very overwhelmed child who does not have good strategies for calming herself down, and who also has learned over the last few years that tantruming at home (by threatening the insulin pump) gets her what she wants, at least to some degree.
  15. Momto3
    Momto3 ShelbysMom
    Hi there,

Don't want to come across creepy but wanted to thank you for taking the time to chat with me today at the water park. It is so rare that I will stop another T1D family (in this case it was the lady I was with). One of the first things I shared with my husband when we came home was the conversation we had. It's always so nice to meet another family who understands.

Take care & thanks again,
    Helena.
  16. Austins mom
    Austins mom jmg707
    we should plan a play day at the park or something?
  17. LucyAmber
    LucyAmber dreamer
    Hi Dreamer.

I'm Lucy. Welcome to CWD. I'm also 17. Feel free to message me. I also joined to make some D friends.
  18. Barbzzz
    Barbzzz etringali
    Hey Beth! Just me cause I wanted to see your diabetes tattoo. :)
  19. tammy82
    tammy82
    Thanks ok, yes we already signed up for 2014 the day after she got home. lol enjoy your summer also.
  20. PAULEEN
    PAULEEN tammy82
    Hi Tammy sorry I missed this, I've been away. I am so happy she had a great time! I bet she's already looking forward to next year. Enjoy your summer.
advertisement