PDA

View Full Version : Lantus - does it keep in a syringe??

twodoor2
11-24-2007, 09:14 AM
I am the one who has to get up every morning at 7:00 am to give my DD her Lantus. The reason is that my husband has poor eyesight, and cannot be relied on to get the correct dosage into the syringe. She's super insulin sensitive so we have to be careful. I was wondering if I could make a syringe the night before with the 4 units she needs, kick my husband out of bed in the morning, and then he can give it to her with the syringe all ready filled. Will Lantus keep in a syringe, or does it have to be stored in the original vial at all times?

WestinsMom
11-24-2007, 09:21 AM
I am sure others will say for sure, but years ago when we were on MDI we use to prefill our syringes when Westin was going to stay at grandpa's house. I don't see why it would be a problem.

Tori's Mom
11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
We have prefilled before while on MDI and not had a problem.

JenniferM
11-24-2007, 09:35 AM
I saw that Lantus can also be dispense in a pen format. I was going to ask my endo about it.

Has anyone used the OptiClick with Lantus? What are your thoughts?

twodoor2
11-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I heard about the lantus pen too, but unfortunately it does not come with half unit increments, which is what DD needs. :(

KatelinsMom
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
I saw that Lantus can also be dispense in a pen format. I was going to ask my endo about it.

There is also the Lantus SoloStar pen, this is a disposable lantus pen, where as the Opticlick uses replaceable cartridges. My daughter loves the SoloStar lantus pens. :)

twodoor2
11-24-2007, 10:30 AM
There is also the Lantus SoloStar pen, this is a disposable lantus pen, where as the Opticlick uses replaceable cartridges. My daughter loves the SoloStar lantus pens. :)

Does it do half units though?

Rick
11-24-2007, 12:36 PM
According to the SoloSTAR user guide: "You can set
doses from 1 to 80 units in steps of 1 unit."
So no, it doesn't do half units.

http://www.lantus.com/docs/pdf/SoloSTARInstrucBrochure_EN.pdf

clb1968
11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
When I was on MDI, I prefilled syringe before and had no problems.

There are also things that help magnify a syringe, so that the correct dose can be drawn up, I have seen them at Walgreen's and CVS before and online to I think. These are used by site impared people.
I will look and post the link if I can find it.

Nelson
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM

We found the OptiClick pen quite awkward to use, unlike the Novopen Jr. that we used for Derek's Novolog. The way we had to press down on the OptiClick to get the whole dose required a level of fource that moved the needle around a bit. We went back to just using syringes as they were much more "graceful" than the Opticlick.

As for Lantus storage, as a husband that doesn't like getting "kicked" out of bed in the morning, I'm sure that Lantus cannot be stored in syringes without some sort of catastrophic problem. . . like your husband getting kicked out of bed in the morning. ;)

Schpoodle's Dad
11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
We used Levemir for a while with a NovoPen JR which does half unit increments. We stopped using it because we were giving such small amounts of Lev that it wasn't accurate enough - you hold the needle in for a couple of seconds to make sure that all the insulin was dispensed. If you varied the time you held the needle in, the amount of insulin varied.

As far as prefilling syringes with Lantus goes, here's a link that talks about it :

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/9/2665

From that article:

"Aventis Pharmaceuticals does not recommend prefilling syringes with Lantus and storing for any period longer than needed for application. In addition BD states the following (9): "BD does not recommend that any of our syringes be prefilled more than a few minutes in advance of the injection. There are no conclusive studies to determine the safety or risks associated with this practice."

Interesting to note that the effect on Lantus varied with different syringe brands. Also, it looked like the glargine content met specifications for all types.

Aventis does also not recommend mixing Lantus with any other insulins, nor dispensing with the same syringe, but lots of people here seem to do it. Also, if you look through the diabetes supply stores, a lot of them have products that are used to carry prefilled syringes.

I guess it's up to you whether you want to pre-load the syringes.

czardoust
11-24-2007, 05:30 PM
There is also the Lantus SoloStar pen
Dont go there. My endo tried it himself when it came out. he experiments with every new treatment when it becomes available, on himself lol. He said its as inaccurate as (insert colorful metaphore here). Yes, Lantus can keep as long as its refridgerated. I've sometimes drawn it up to take to Kats grandparents house, then as soon as we would get there I'de pop it in the fridge until its time to take it.

clb1968
11-24-2007, 05:50 PM
I would think if you drew it up and put it in the fridge at night, so that it would be ready for morning it would be ok. Just my opinion though.

Here is a link to the magnifacation guides I was talking about, there are couple of different ones on this page.

http://www.diabetesandmore.com/search-inject-aids.aspx?CategoryID=266&OVRAW=BD%20magni-guide&OVKEY=magni%20guide&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=5592110011&OVKWID=28415505011

BozziesMom
09-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I am the one who has to get up every morning at 7:00 am to give my DD her Lantus. The reason is that my husband has poor eyesight, and cannot be relied on to get the correct dosage into the syringe. She's super insulin sensitive so we have to be careful. I was wondering if I could make a syringe the night before with the 4 units she needs, kick my husband out of bed in the morning, and then he can give it to her with the syringe all ready filled. Will Lantus keep in a syringe, or does it have to be stored in the original vial at all times?

So I was searching the threads for this same question and wondered now... did you prefill the syringe and put it in the fridge, and if so, how did it work out? I was thinking of doing this same thing for the early morning Lantus.

Jordansmom
09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Keep in mind cold Lantus hurts more.

We used the Lantus Solostar. You would still need to be able to read the dial and it does not click as you push it in. I don't think in small doses it would be very accurate. We seemed to have a little leakback no matter how we did the injection.

BozziesMom
09-02-2008, 06:23 PM
Keep in mind cold Lantus hurts more.

We used the Lantus Solostar. You would still need to be able to read the dial and it does not click as you push it in. I don't think in small doses it would be very accurate. We seemed to have a little leakback no matter how we did the injection.

We're currently on .75 units, so I'm guessing the Solostar isn't the answer just yet. Thanks for the info though!

TerpSteph
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
We usually prefill a syringe of Lantus and let it come to room temperature every day. If Matt is going to be out with friends, he will take the prefilled syringe with him. We've let it sit out for a few hours and he has not had any wild wonky numbers that make us believe it causes a problem to do it that way. (He takes his Lantus at 10 PM before bed because teens like to sleep in. ;))

I say let your husband in on the fun!

BozziesMom
09-02-2008, 07:11 PM
We usually prefill a syringe of Lantus and let it come to room temperature every day. If Matt is going to be out with friends, he will take the prefilled syringe with him. We've let it sit out for a few hours and he has not had any wild wonky numbers that make us believe it causes a problem to do it that way. (He takes his Lantus at 10 PM before bed because teens like to sleep in. ;))

I say let your husband in on the fun!

Oh, he's totally taking over Lantus duty when he gets back from Florida. Going for 5 am since he's up leaving for work right about then. That way if he needs help I'm there (great idea saxmaniac!). If I waited until 7 and needed help (baby fights the Lantus - and may sleep through a 5 am shot) I'd be on my own and have to sit on him or something ugly like that. But since we're changing in the morning I need to get him on that 5 am schedule. Know what I mean? So thought preloading the syringes would help me in my 5 am haze.

ccarrol4
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I take lantus in the morning and I night. I always prefill the syringe for the morning and leave it on my night stand so that I can have a few more minutes of sleep :D (Okay, well I know it's not actually a "few" minutes, more like 1, but still, it seems like I'm gonna get more sleep and it eliminates 1 thing I have to remember to do in the morning)

twodoor2
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
So I was searching the threads for this same question and wondered now... did you prefill the syringe and put it in the fridge, and if so, how did it work out? I was thinking of doing this same thing for the early morning Lantus.

Wow, you reoponed a thread from what seems like eons ago for me!:p

Mark still doesn't give her the Lantus, so I just share the duty with our babysitter who comes every morning. I think people warned me against it because of the plastic degrading the Lantus.

GabriellasMom
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
We prefill our syringes. We do it daily with Humalog (I refuse to give control of her dose to the school) and whenever she stays with her grandma, I prefill her Lantus. I've heard that you're not supposed to do it, but we've never had an issue with it.

Ivan's Mum
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
keeps just fine, wouldn't want to fill a weeks worth thou!