PDA

View Full Version : Software to integrate CGMS, pump, carbs data?

calmaniac
10-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I realize this is probably what software engineers call "vaporware", but for Dexcom or Guardian users are there any software options to integrate the blood glucose data with the pump's insulin records? If you are using an all Minimed system can you analyze all of that information together? How about carbs data?

My daughter's Animas IR1200 goes off warrantee in a few months and we are trying to make a decision. Very happy with the Animas pump and their customer support...and not thrilled with what I hear about MM support.

But I can't help thinking that everything else being equal (which it ain't!) that it would be advantageous to have a pump and CGM that can communicate....or at least software that can talk to each.

Any thoughts or solutions appreciated! Thanks.

funnygrl
10-23-2007, 11:43 PM
Minimed has Carelink, which essentially aims to do this, but in my mind, doesn't do a very good job.

For example, they have a chart that shows your bg by meal- supposedly. However, it uses pre-set meal times, instead of considering when the bolus was given and when carbs were entered into the bolus wizard.

Also, the chart that shows BG related to sensor value, doesn't actually tell you what the BG value was, instead it plots a HUGE square on a hard-to-decipher graph.

Those kinda things just annoy me about it, but overall, it's not bad.

hrermgr
10-24-2007, 05:05 PM
We like the CareLink reports (on line) and really like Medtronic. Now, we don't download the information as much as we should but when we have, the reports and data have been fantastic. I believe they have changed a few reports and added a new one or two. Also, our endo has access to other reports that are downloaded and shared during our visits.

While it is not perfect, we find the information useful. Again, one more tool for us to use in monitoring our daughter's diabetes.

Budapest
10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
We use Animas 2020 and Guardian. With the recent upgrade of Carelink you can actually download data from the website and with the ezManager you can get data from the pump (whether 2020 or IR1200) (need MS Access to extract the data from ezManager).

I have an Excel workbook that combines the basal and bolus info from the pump and the BG data from the CGM on graphs. If you are a little familiar with Excel I am sure you could use it and adopt it to your needs. If I could upload larger files here I would upload it here (with data 1.3 Mb). Without that I can e-mail it to you if you send a PM with your e-mail address.

It doesn't yet incorporate carb data but that is also planned.

Attached is the most complex graph available showing basal, bolus and BG overlaid for 7 days.

Mama2H
10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
That is pretty cool budapest. I don't even know if I have excel and if I did I obviously do not know how to use it :(

funnygrl
10-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Awww man, Budapest, I'm jealous. I want! I have Excel, but I'm not sure I'm knowledgable enough to do that.

Mama2H
10-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok, someone wanna help an excel newbie?

What do you put in when it asks for Data range and columns or rows?

or do you use series and if so what do you put in?

How do you import the information?

funnygrl
10-25-2007, 01:36 PM
Oh dear.

Excel is kinda complicated to explain without being able to look at the same computer screen to someone who has never used it before.

Basically, Excel is a spreadsheet program. You enter the data you want in the rows and columns. Then you can make a graph out of it.

Say you wanted to plot blood sugars. You may put the time in one column and the blood sugars in the next, lining them up. Then you can graph them by clicking the "graph" icon at the top and then highlight the row of info you want to go on each axis.

You can also do formulas with Excel and have it do math for you. Say you want an average of all those blood sugars you typed in.

Just go to a open box and type in "=AVG(" highlight the boxes you want averaged, then ")" to close it. When you hit enter to move away from that "cell" as they call it, the average will appear. Changing what you put before the (,) will change what it does.

You can add up numbers with =SUM, find the standard deviation with =STD, and so on and so forth almost unlimitedly.

I have no idea how to import info into Excel, but if you want to work off a spreadsheet someone else made, you just open their file in Excel like you would any other office document.

Budapest
10-27-2007, 06:58 PM
I am sure with some effort my workbook could be made more user friendly, and I am happy to assist anyone who wants to take on the task. Unfortunately I cannot really put in the extra time now with three kids, a fourth on the way, a job and communal responsibilities.

Anyone knows a computer wiz? I think a few hours would be enough.

If funnygrl or anyone else wants to give it a try in the meantime, I will e-mail it.