PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Insulin Injectors

spartanmom
06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Inject Ease automatic insulin injector by BD or the Autoject 2 by Owen Mumford. My seventeen year old son, who was dx'd 11/05, is having alot of anxiety related to his insulin injections:( and I thought one of these devices might help.

AmyMcCracken
06-02-2006, 11:48 AM
The Inject Ease still uses a syringe but "hides" the needle. Here is the link to more information: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_310.htm

My daughter HATED the syringes. She did much better using the pens for her Novolog and Lantus. These are much more convenient and easier to use than syringes and vials.

Hollyb
06-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your son. That's a tough thing for a nearly-adult kid to adjust to!

I agree, the pens are much better. If he is slim he will be able to use a very fine, short needle with them. They're also easier to manage when out in public!

I think the other thing, though, is there is a huge emotional stumbling block to get over in learning to inject yourself. My son was 13 when diagnosed and although he was relieved in hospital to find the injections really didn't hurt much, and successfully did it himself with the nurse coaching him through, when the time came at home he found it really difficult to do. I mean, it goes against every instinct you have to stab your own skin! It only took him a couple of days to get over the hump, but I'm sure it would have taken me much longer.

There is also a gadget called a Shot Blocker that may help if your son is finding the injections painful.

Good luck, to him and you!

faithe113001
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I've never used the insulin injecter by BD, but while counseling at camp I've seen it used by kids of many different ages. They all love it! All you do is push a button to put in the needle. It takes a lot of stress out of injecting yourself from what I can see. The pens are great too, I've used those and it takes time and effort out of injections.

kiwikid
06-03-2006, 01:36 AM
We used the Injectease for about 2 years before pumping. It was a lifesaver for us. It injects quickly and always to the same depth. You still have to fill the syringe, load it into the InjectEase, then press both the release button and the plunger on the syringe, but it hides the needle and makes it quick and easy. You twist the Inject Ease to make the area less sensitive before releasing the syringe.
We didn't like pens at all, they are quicker and easier to use in public places, but we often seemed to have leak back from them, and you still have to "prepare" yourself for jabbing it in.

Good Luck :cwds:

JasonJayhawk
06-03-2006, 06:08 AM
I used the InjectEase after I was dx'ed. It was also easy to travel with preloaded. However, the novelty wore off after two weeks, and I wish I hadn't spent the $30 on it...

Amy C.
06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
My 12 year old son uses the inject-ease and has since shortly after diagnosis 8 1/2 years ago. One endo decided he shouldn't be using it and my son did not use it for about 6 months. One day at school when he inserted the needle, he experienced a fair amount of pain and pulled the needle out without injecting the insulin. I had never injected myself and decided to figure out if a shot felt different with the inject ease. I poked myself with a shot without the inject ease and then with it. Poking without the inject ease stung a bit and using the inject ease didn't hurt at all. I decided to let him use it after that.

He wasn't allowed to use the inject ease at a large over-night diabetes camp here in Texas, and decided he didn't want to go back because of that.

The inject ease holds the needle still when injecting which reduces the pain, and makes it a lot easier to inject. My son loves to inject in his hip and using the inject ease makes it a lot easier to reach behind him. We have two of them -- one for school and another for home.

I recommend your son try it.

Hollyb
06-04-2006, 04:44 PM
And here's a question: why do some endos/camps/whatever have such a rigid ideology around using aids like Inject Ease or Emla for infusion sets that can make life easier for a kid? Why NOT use it?

Connie(BC)Type 1
06-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I had less anxiety with the Inject Ease, pens are big and bulky and you still need to get the needle in the skin! I can't do it without an injector!:rolleyes:

karpoozi123
06-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I had a problem in the begining with injections also. I used the inject-ease for a while until I got used to the injections and then I decided to stop. I found the thing that helped the most though with injections is using pens. I found that the weight of the pen pushed the needle in instead of me doing it.

RobinKop
06-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Any suggestions about auto-injectors for the Mom of a newly diagnosed 4-year old?

She fights us with all she has for the shots. We've even bent a few needles and I'm afraid of breaking one off. (For a 31 lb 4-year old she is freakishly strong when it comes to fighting the needles.)

I'm wondering if anyone that has used these auto-injectors on a small child or a "moving target".

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

kiwikid
06-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I replied earlier to this thread - but didn't mention that our daughter was aged between 2 and 4 when we used the Inject Ease - it was the best thing we ever bought, until the pump!!:cwds:

RobinKop
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Thanks KiwiKid! I'm going to look into one of those.

Amy C.
06-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Robin:

My son was three when diagnosed and he fought the shots like a tiger for about 6 weeks. My brother commented that giving a shot was a little like a wrestling match. The inject ease helped a lot, but first the child had to be still. For about 6 weeks, it took both parents to give a shot (only 2 shots at that time). I would hold my son on my lap with his legs off to my left side. His left shoulder went under my right arm. I wrapped my right arm around him and held onto his right arm (he was a little twisted with his chest against mine). I held onto his feet with my other hand. My husband would quickly give the shot in his arm or leg. The whole thing was calmly done as quickly as possible -- maybe 10 seconds in all, 3 seconds if all went well.

After a while, I discovered if I held him on my lap and read a story to him, he would hold still and barely notice the shot.

RobinKop
06-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks Amy for the detailed description of your "hold". I'll have to try that one.

I agree giving shots is a 2 person job. We've tried all sorts of methods of distraction but none have worked so far. Our endo gave us the recomendation of having Kim blow on a pin-wheel which should have 2 desired results - forcing her to take deep breaths and distracting her from the task at hand. But so far nothing has worked.

We're only 6 weeks into it so it's nice to add new ideas to our bag of tricks. Eventually something is bound to work! ;)

bethdou
06-20-2006, 02:00 AM
Our endo gave us the recomendation of having Kim blow on a pin-wheel which should have 2 desired results - forcing her to take deep breaths and distracting her from the task at hand. But so far nothing has worked.

We're only 6 weeks into it so it's nice to add new ideas to our bag of tricks. Eventually something is bound to work! ;)

We tried the pinwheel or blowing out a candle; when Meg wanted to fight it, she could have been in the middle of Disneyland with all the Princesses singing to her and she wouldn't have been distracted! :D

One other recommendation we got was to put a spoon in the freezer, get it super cold, then have her hold it on the spot of her choosing for 5-10 seconds before the shot - it numbed it up, and gave her some control over the situation. Then we would have her look away and do the shot quickly, before the spot warmed up again. That was the first thing that really worked; we did it for about a month, and then she got tired of it and just let us do the shots!

Isn't it amazing how one little bitty kid who is REALLY MOTIVATED to avoid something can outmuscle several full-grown adults?:rolleyes:

Hope this might help for a few days!
:cwds:

RobinKop
06-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks Beth,

The cold spoon sounds like a neat idea - we'll have to give that one a try! :cwds:

I did buy an Inject-Ease last week but we have not had the opportunity to try it yet. Kim is too much of a moving target. It looks pretty cool - but I need her to be able to sit still before we try that. I'm still too afraid of bending and breaking needles. :eek:

williepitt
01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
OK, I have a question that's different but sort of related.

I have been a Type 1 since 1938. (That's right, I'll get my 75 year medal next year! No significant complications.) I'm perfectly fine at injecting with an ordinary syringe. However, I sometimes have to do it in public or in a restaurant, and would just as soon do what I can to disguise the act.

I've tried pens but they bug me. What I'd like is something that looks more like a pen than like a syringe. At first glance, it seems that either the Inject-Ease or the Autoject 2 might work, but I could use some advice from someone familiar with at least one of them.

Does either of these look like an insulin pen? Would it deceive the casual onlooker?

I notice that no one has commented on the Autoject 2 in this thread. Is there a reason for that?

Connie(BC)Type 1
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
When I was MDI, I alwasy used an injector, first, dad made one for me, then I got the inject ease! LOVED the inject ease, made my needle adversion easier to live with!

I've never heard of the Autoject 2, but it "looks" fine !

Christopher
01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I notice that no one has commented on the Autoject 2 in this thread. Is there a reason for that?

The thread is almost 6 years old.

lynn
01-19-2012, 11:03 PM
The thread is almost 6 years old.

These old threads that come back get me every time! I was excited to see some of the "oldies" HollyB, Bethdou, AmyMcCracken, around again....