PDA

View Full Version : Accuchek Aviva no coding? - Black code chip

emm142
02-04-2012, 06:05 AM
In my latest box of Aviva test strips there was a black code chip with the number '111' on it. I have attached a photo of the leaflet in the box of strips.

The text on the leaflet says:

Black Code Chip Information

How to use the black code chip found in this test strip box:

The black code chip works for ALL test strips intended for use with your meter. Continue using the black code chip even if new test strip boxes contain different coloured code chips or different code numbers.
After inserting the black code chip, discard any future code chips you receive.
Always check the use by date on the test strip container before performing a blood glucose or control test. Do not use test strips past the use by date.

So basically it looks like I'm never going to have to change that silly code chip again! It takes about 2 seconds, but it's still nice not to have to do that extra step.

I'm not sure whether the black code chips are around in the US yet, but if they aren't and if anyone would like one, I will probably have more in the other boxes of strips I got from the pharmacy at the same time.

StillMamamia
02-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Oh wow! Pretty neat! It's like a late Epiphany Cake surprise! If you know what I mean.....*crickets*.....

Lisa P.
02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
So, should I crack a tooth on it? :p

I am so, so happy. I've loved the Aviva since we switched, really like it a lot, but I lose the little code things and then when I switch from one vial of strips to another and it's one I've stuffed up in the cabinet I can't find the chip.

This is great, thanks for posting!

hawkeyegirl
02-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Hey, cool! Can't wait until that makes it to the States!

jessicat
02-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I love that my meter doesn't need any coding! I am forever mixing and switching strip bottles

emm142
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
So, should I crack a tooth on it? :p

I am so, so happy. I've loved the Aviva since we switched, really like it a lot, but I lose the little code things and then when I switch from one vial of strips to another and it's one I've stuffed up in the cabinet I can't find the chip.

This is great, thanks for posting!

Hey, cool! Can't wait until that makes it to the States!

No idea how long it would be until this makes it to the states, but I'd be happy to mail either of you a black code chip. :cwds:

Of course, I'm not sure that's necessary because I'm pretty sure that what this means is that all along the chips were just there to check whether the strips were expired and had nothing to do with the numbers a meter would give. But I might be wrong. I always changed the chip, just in case..

TheFormerLantusFiend
02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
You posted about getting the new accu chek plus test strips, and I'd never seen them, and guess what? My shipment of test strips last week has them, with a note about how they don't have maltose interference problems. So maybe I'll be seeing the black code chip soon. However, the new shipment of strips has the usual white code chip. It's too bad 111 is the code chip number- I much prefer it when my code chip is a number I can't get confused and think is my blood sugar, like 939 or something like that.

Flutterby
02-04-2012, 09:20 PM
Cool! The chip is one of the reasons why I never looked at the Aviva to long.

Thanks for the info, Emma!

dqmomof3
02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Em, I can testify that the white code key DEFINITELY had an effect on the actual readings! Just posted about this in another thread...we had a period of time last year in which Jayden wasn't changing the code keys. Disaster - terrible A1C when we thought it would be really good. BG was reading 200 points lower than what it really was. We stopped using the Aviva because of this!

Jacob'sDad
02-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Thank you Jennifer for that valuable piece of information. You saved me from taking a black Sharpie to a code chip. :D

emm142
02-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Thank you Jennifer for that valuable piece of information. You saved me from taking a black Sharpie to a code chip. :D

:p

I wonder how it is that the same code chip can now work for all strips (including those manufactured in the past) if the code chip is fundamental to alligning the reading to what it actually is.

Jacob'sDad
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
:P

I wonder how it is that the same code chip can now work for all strips (including those manufactured in the past) if the code chip is fundamental to alligning the reading to what it actually is.

Well obviously it's because....uhmm...you see it's....it has this...

Beats the heck out of me!

Please call tech support on this and get back to us. It does seem impossible.

emm142
02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Well obviously it's because....uhmm...you see it's....it has this...

Beats the heck out of me!

Please call tech support on this and get back to us. It does seem impossible.

I'll let you know when I call them. There is no phone reception in my building and it's snowy outside, so not really fancying that right now. :p

There's more information here (http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/activationchip_faq.html) but not exactly anything enlightening. That seems to make out that the chips are just for determining whether strips are in date, but clearly what happened to Jayden seems to go against that. :confused:

ETA: There's this (http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/activationchip.html) too, which mentions that it means results are consistantly accurate. They also repeatedly say that the black code chip works for all FUTURE test strips, and don't mention past test strips. Clearly that doesn't just mean test strips from this date (because pharmacies etc. will still be stocking older ones) but I'm wondering if say for the past year all test strips made have been designed that they could be used with this code chip. Hm.

Jacob'sDad
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
See, now I thought it must be the strips themselves that are different. I really did. But then I found a link that said you could use it for ALL test strips even those with number code chips in the box.

So maybe this is how it went down:

FIRST they changed the strips so they don't require coding but kept putting numbered code chips in the box anyway. Maybe the chip hadn't been approved yet because it doesn't record the expiration date of the strips or maybe they just wanted to phase out all the old strips so that all the old ones would be expired.

Now they start adding the new black chip which will work with all strips that aren't already expired. There does see to be a risk factor with that though, because, since the black chip doesn't record the expiration date, it might actually work with expired strips but wouldn't be accurate.

Or maybe it just automatically gives a error message with the old strips and they didn't want people calling all the time and complaining.

emm142
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
ETA: There's this (http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/activationchip.html) too, which mentions that it means results are consistantly accurate. They also repeatedly say that the black code chip works for all FUTURE test strips, and don't mention past test strips. Clearly that doesn't just mean test strips from this date (because pharmacies etc. will still be stocking older ones) but I'm wondering if say for the past year all test strips made have been designed that they could be used with this code chip. Hm.

See, now I thought it must be the strips themselves that are different. I really did. But then I found a link that said you could use it for ALL test strips even those with number code chips in the box.

So maybe this is how it went down:

FIRST they changed the strips so they don't require coding but kept putting numbered code chips in the box anyway. Maybe the chip hadn't been approved yet because it doesn't record the expiration date of the strips or maybe they just wanted to phase out all the old strips so that all the old ones would be expired.

Now they start adding the new black chip which will work with all strips that aren't already expired. There does see to be a risk factor with that though, because, since the black chip doesn't record the expiration date, it might actually work with expired strips but wouldn't be accurate.

Or maybe it just automatically gives a error message with the old strips and they didn't want people calling all the time and complaining.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, but you said it a lot better. :p That seems to be the only explanation which makes sense. I have sent an email to their customer service - if they reply then I might save myself a phone call.

Mish
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
What Dave is saying is pretty much how it went down with Freestyle - the best I can figure. For a year or more we were seeing less and less variation in code numbers. Then we were only seeing 11s, and then finally freestyle went no code with the old strips. It was like they could have done it all along but somehow, someone, somewhere, thought coding a meter gave people a sense of security. :rolleyes:

MomofSweetOne
02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
It's too bad 111 is the code chip number- I much prefer it when my code chip is a number I can't get confused and think is my blood sugar, like 939 or something like that.

LOL. My daughter has been really aggravated with the run of 340s we've had for the past two months. She keeps getting caught off guard thinking it's her BG. She's looking forward to opening the AccuCheck Plus strips just to have a different code. I think she has three more boxes to use up first.

emm142
02-05-2012, 03:01 PM
LOL. My daughter has been really aggravated with the run of 340s we've had for the past two months. She keeps getting caught off guard thinking it's her BG. She's looking forward to opening the AccuCheck Plus strips just to have a different code. I think she has three more boxes to use up first.

I guess I'm lucky in that I measure BG in mmol/l, so numbers range from 1.1 to 33.3 (with normal between about 4 and 10). No chance of mixing that up with the code chip number. :)

emm142
02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Here's what I got from customer service:

"Thank you for contacting Accu-Chek.

You were querying the function of our Accu-Chek code chips and how the new global code chip will affect your testing. Please be advised that the code chips only store the information that is printed on the outside of the test strip vials, i.e., the expirydate, lot number. Our code chips do not affect the accuracy of blood glucose tests."

Jacob'sDad
02-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Well how about that?

bandmkolb
02-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I have a full bottle of test strips that did not come with the chip. Contacted accuchek and they do not have that code anymore so they sent a free bottle. So... If I just use another one it should work, right? I will have to check the accuracy with another one that has the right chip, I guess.

Jacob'sDad
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Uh, oh my brain just won't let this go.

So Accuchek says the code chip doesn't affect accuracy and only stores the lot number and expiration date of the strips.

Then what about all these people you see who are saying "Anybody got a #172 code chip? I have strips but lost the code chip". What if I send them a 172 code chip from a lot from 2 years ago? That's no good, right? Wouldn't it be the same if they just put ANY code chip in? Either way it has the wrong lot number and expiration date.

emm142
02-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Uh, oh my brain just won't let this go.

So Accuchek says the code chip doesn't affect accuracy and only stores the lot number and expiration date of the strips.

Then what about all these people you see who are saying "Anybody got a #172 code chip? I have strips but lost the code chip". What if I send them a 172 code chip from a lot from 2 years ago? That's no good, right? Wouldn't it be the same if they just put ANY code chip in? Either way it has the wrong lot number and expiration date.

And that is exactly what I'm sure some people have said in response to those threads. However the experience Jayden had with using the wrong code chip seems to go against that. :confused:

mom2ejca
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I was curious:D

3 different lot numbers, all tests were done from the same drop of blood using a 924 code key.

924- 117 bg
832- 123 bg
385- 124 bg (this lot of strips expired 12/31/2011)

ETA: Also, I ran a Level 1 and Level 2 control solution test on all 3 lots (still using the 924 code key for all of them) and they were all within the normal range.

Here's http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=63760 the old thread that Emma is referring to, if anyone is curious.

emm142
02-08-2012, 02:28 PM
All tests performed using 111 strips, but different code chips.

111 = 214
458 = 216
327 = 194

All within 20% error margin. I used the same drop of blood for the first two but apparently my blood clots within seconds so I had to repoke (used exactly the same area) for the 3rd. I would repeat the experiment entirely but I wouldn't want to waste that many test strips.

I was curious:D

3 different lot numbers, all tests were done from the same drop of blood using a 924 code key.

924- 117 bg
832- 123 bg
385- 124 bg (this lot of strips expired 12/31/2011)

ETA: Also, I ran a Level 1 and Level 2 control solution test on all 3 lots (still using the 924 code key for all of them) and they were all within the normal range.

Here's http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=63760 the old thread that Emma is referring to, if anyone is curious.

emm142
02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
The plot thickens (http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/customerservice/faqs/products.html).

"Roche Diagnostics retained the code chip for 5 reasons:

1. It can provide feature upgrades (such as faster test times and smaller sample sizes) without the need to buy a new meter.
2. It is designed to prevent the use of expired test strips.
3. It helps to ensure more accurate results by reducing the inherent variability in all test strips.
4. It is easy to use. Unlike some systems that require you to scroll through multiple numbers to code the meter manually, the code chip for the Accu-Chek Aviva Nano systems just snaps in place.
5. The control range data is stored in the code chip"

That makes it sound like accuracy is involved. But it doesn't make it sound fundamental.. :confused:

Jacob'sDad
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Since #3 says ..."all test strips" does that include expired ones?

See, using the correct code chip WOULD increase accuracy if it kept me from using old expired test strips that have lost accuracy.

emm142
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Since #3 says ..."all test strips" does that include expired ones?

See, using the correct code chip WOULD increase accuracy if it kept me from using old expired test strips that have lost accuracy.

Yep, that's possible. I wonder whether there's any way to find out the actual truth.

Rob Muller
04-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Rob Muller with Roche Diabetes Care. I ran across this thread and, after talking with the site administrator, wanted to provide some help.

As for the code keys, please know that there are different keys configured for different markets/countries/regions and different control solutions. If you have any questions about how these keys influence the meter, please call customer care at 800-858-8072 in the U.S., or visit www.accu-chek.com to find customer care contact information in your country.

Customer Care in the U.S. is open 24/7/365, and is now available on Twitter @accuchek_us. You can also reach me directly on Twitter @RotoTok.

Please let me know if there is anywhere else I can offer help.

Have a good day.