PDA

View Full Version : JDRF Rebrand



Ellen
11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=116426

Sarah Maddie's Mom
11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
A day late and a dollar short, imho.

Flutterby
11-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Wonder if they are going to change the 'walk for a CURE' slogan.

Judy&Alli
11-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Wonder if they are going to change the 'walk for a CURE' slogan.

You mean walk for the AP? UGH so disgusted!

sarahspins
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I'm not impressed.... from a design standpoint alone the new logo has a lot of issues.. I'm surprised the group actually approved the change?

The "new" logo looks VERY amateurish... way to take a giant step backwards :(

MommaKat
11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
But today, we realize that we are engaged in a process of curing type 1 diabetes - that a cure is not just a destination but also a journey along a path. And we recognize that a part of our mission must be to help those living with type 1 today to live healthier, easier, and safer lives until we arrive at the end of that path.

Doesn't this second paragraph address some of the concerns recently raised about a desire for continued progress towards a cure, but more importantly, ensuring that we see continued progress and innovation in the treatments and tools made available to PWDs as they await a cure?

Personally, I'm happy to see this statement - that their focus must be two-fold, both on the tomorrow with a cure, and today with better, more reliable treatment options.

Sarah Maddie's Mom
11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Doesn't this second paragraph address some of the concerns recently raised about a desire for continued progress towards a cure, but more importantly, ensuring that we see continued progress and innovation in the treatments and tools made available to PWDs as they await a cure?

Personally, I'm happy to see this statement - that their focus must be two-fold, both on the tomorrow with a cure, and today with better, more reliable treatment options.

No, it doesn't - and I'll check back with you when you've been at this 9 years to see if you still feel so enthused by JDRF and their words.

hawkeyegirl
11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I think JDRF has realized that a cure is nowhere on the horizon, that they don't have a clue when or if it might occur, and so they had better switch their focus to something that does have somewhat of a timeline.

I used to be pretty enthused about an AP. Now I realize that anything groundbreaking won't be here in time to improve my kid's childhood. So meh on JDRF's stupid logo change, and meh on their "change in focus." All that money raised, and what have they done for my kid?

Lee
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know - I know this doesn't sound logical, and I probably couldn't even come up with a logical argument, which is why I am staying out of the debates.

But I have this gut feeling of being abandoned. Abandoned by them switching their focus to adults with T1 and switching their focus to the AP instead of the cure.

I know my child will soon be an adult with T1 - logically, I get that. However, the JDRF was where I turned when my CHILD was diagnosed. They provided me with the support I needed as a parent at the time. I just feel abandoned, and this statement even makes it more so.

I know this is not a logical feeling; however, it is my gut feeling.

Jordansmom
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd like to know when they started "Curing Type 1 Diabetes". Nobody told me they have the cure. :rolleyes:

I agree that the logo is amateurish.

MommaKat
11-08-2011, 01:33 AM
No, it doesn't - and I'll check back with you when you've been at this 9 years to see if you still feel so enthused by JDRF and their words.

FWIW, I'm not, as many suppose, enthused by JDRF. I am, however, a realist. And though I am new to caring for my child in terms of type 1, I am not at all new to caring for children with debilitating chronic conditions, or to the field of health care. (20+ years of nursing, patient advocacy, in addition to parenting a severely disabled child, and another with a debilitating injury.)

Frankly, I don't expect or look for anyone to agree with my opinion, but given that it's a public forum, I shared my personal feeling that an organization acknowledging a mistake in policy approach is step in the right direction. (Nor do I personally call out or attack others for opinions I don't agree with - who cares if I don't agree. They're opinions. We're each entitled to our own along with a modicum of respect.)

MHoskins2179
11-08-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm completely not impressed with the re-brand.

But only the marketing aspect of it, as far as the Meg campaign and logo and "give Type 1 the finger" aspects. Totally not impressed, and agree with those that say it feels like an amateur creation.

The message, I support.

I've posted at length here about my history with the JDRF, and I've written elsewhere about my feelings about the JDRF overall - past and present. Suffice it to say, as an Adult Type 1 who long ago felt "abandoned" by the JDRF, I'm encouraged to see them re-shifting their focus to now include the adults (which represents 85% of the Type 1 community today, btw).

By including the Adult Type 1 community in ways they haven't before, and promoting a more "continuing journey toward a cure" message, this doesn't mean they're abandoning anyone. Although, some may feel abandoned that because the focus isn't on kids - a feeling that comes ironically at the same time as many also gripe about cute kids being used for marketing and effectiveness.

This new tagline also doesn't mean they're abandoning a cure - just that they understand it's more complicated than they once thought in just throwing money at it and finding a cure. It's a partnership that must bring every element together.

Hope is a relative thing that comes and goes in one's life, and so what may be here today may be gone tomorrow. And vice versa, as I've found in discovering the hope of the JDRF again as I near my third decade of living with diabetes.

swellman
11-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm completely not impressed with the re-brand.

But only the marketing aspect of it, as far as the Meg campaign and logo and "give Type 1 the finger" aspects. Totally not impressed, and agree with those that say it feels like an amateur creation.

The message, I support.

I've posted at length here about my history with the JDRF, and I've written elsewhere about my feelings about the JDRF overall - past and present. Suffice it to say, as an Adult Type 1 who long ago felt "abandoned" by the JDRF, I'm encouraged to see them re-shifting their focus to now include the adults (which represents 85% of the Type 1 community today, btw).

By including the Adult Type 1 community in ways they haven't before, and promoting a more "continuing journey toward a cure" message, this doesn't mean they're abandoning anyone. Although, some may feel abandoned that because the focus isn't on kids - a feeling that comes ironically at the same time as many also gripe about cute kids being used for marketing and effectiveness.

This new tagline also doesn't mean they're abandoning a cure - just that they understand it's more complicated than they once thought in just throwing money at it and finding a cure. It's a partnership that must bring every element together.

Hope is a relative thing that comes and goes in one's life, and so what may be here today may be gone tomorrow. And vice versa, as I've found in discovering the hope of the JDRF again as I near my third decade of living with diabetes.

As a parent of a child with T1 I don't find this attitude difficult to grasp at all. In fact, it seems personally reasonable to me. I, too, do not feel JDRF has abandoned anyone nor do I think they have abandoned any hope for a cure. I do think, however, they took a long look at the progress of the last 40 years and realized that the cure wasn't going to be simple as the disease is very, very complex - so complex that a cure might involve many chronic diseases. I think they exactly realized that 85% of those with T1 are now adults and I agree with the shift while recognizing that the shift does not result in a total abandonment of cure research. I'm also rational enough to realize that a cure isn't going to happen right now and it's not going to come to market in the next 5 years so my son will be, at least, 16-18 years old before any cure is even possible and I am glad that there may be better tools and treatments when he starts college. I'm grateful people are thinking for both now and for the future.

That having been said, I think the brand is horrible - I mean it's really bad. My son could have designed a logo of equal quality.

Sarah Maddie's Mom
11-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Doesn't this second paragraph address some of the concerns recently raised about a desire for continued progress towards a cure, but more importantly, ensuring that we see continued progress and innovation in the treatments and tools made available to PWDs as they await a cure?




No, it doesn't - and I'll check back with you when you've been at this 9 years to see if you still feel so enthused by JDRF and their words.



Frankly, I don't expect or look for anyone to agree with my opinion, but given that it's a public forum, I shared my personal feeling that an organization acknowledging a mistake in policy approach is step in the right direction. (Nor do I personally call out or attack others for opinions I don't agree with - who cares if I don't agree. They're opinions. We're each entitled to our own along with a modicum of respect.)

You asked if the second paragraph didn't address some of one's concerns and I said, "No". No attack, no lack of respect.

There's sharing one's opinion and then there's seeking to persuade. Just because I am not persuaded by what you find informative does not in any way imply that you, or your opinion is being disrespected.

joan
11-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I wonder how many marketing dollars were spent rebranding JDRF. What a waste...

Nancy in VA
11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
You asked if the second paragraph didn't address some of one's concerns and I said, "No". No attack, no lack of respect.

There's sharing one's opinion and then there's seeking to persuade. Just because I am not persuaded by what you find informative does not in any way imply that you, or your opinion is being disrespected.

You absolutely disrespected her when you told her that she could come back when she had been at this as long as you. You should never invalidate someones feelings because they haven't been dealing with this disease as long as you.

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore. It was never about kids. The disease used to be called Juvenile Diabetes - that's where the organization got the name. It got changed to T1 a long time ago and JDRF hadn't changed their name to reflect that because they have a brand around JDRF.

Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

I stopped hoping for a cure a long time ago - I can't live with the disappointment - from any and every organization that hasn't found one. I am focused on giving Emma the most robust life experience I can expecting her to have Type 1 diabetes for the rest of her life. JDRF didn't take my hope - they gave me hope early on when I needed it until I was emotionally ready to deal with the lifetime implications of this disease

Sarah Maddie's Mom
11-08-2011, 09:02 AM
You absolutely disrespected her when you told her that she could come back when she had been at this as long as you. You should never invalidate someones feelings because they haven't been dealing with this disease as long as you.

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore. It was never about kids. The disease used to be called Juvenile Diabetes - that's where the organization got the name. It got changed to T1 a long time ago and JDRF hadn't changed their name to reflect that because they have a brand around JDRF.

Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

I stopped hoping for a cure a long time ago - I can't live with the disappointment - from any and every organization that hasn't found one. I am focused on giving Emma the most robust life experience I can expecting her to have Type 1 diabetes for the rest of her life. JDRF didn't take my hope - they gave me hope early on when I needed it until I was emotionally ready to deal with the lifetime implications of this disease

I NEVER said a stinkin' word about it not being about kids - Perhaps you should read my comments before jumping in next time.

As for the 9 years - I have been at this 9 years and I've had my fill of JDRF and it's BS - and maybe my mentioning that was a sign that I was having a lousy D day and NOT anything to do with her being a newer mom. So stinkin presumptuous, as always.

Beach bum
11-08-2011, 11:37 AM
That having been said, I think the brand is horrible - I mean it's really bad. My son could have designed a logo of equal quality.

Ya, it's pretty cheezy looking.

I don't like the use of the word "curing." They are not curing diabetes. They are one of many (JDRF, DRI, Faustman, Joslin, Yale) that are working to find a cure. To a "lay" person it looks as if they have already done the job.

I personally think they need to just call themselves the Type 1 Foundation since they have made it clear that they are now just not dedicated to juveniles with diabetes. If they are going to use the word research, they need to be very clear in their message to all about what exactly they are researching.

On a side note, I wonder how much this lovely:rolleyes: new logo cost?

MommaKat
11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
That having been said, I think the brand is horrible - I mean it's really bad. My son could have designed a logo of equal quality.

This, absolutely, and my 14 yo son agrees. He really wants to design something and send it to them. Sadly, graphic arts, logo design, and branding are clearly not strengths at JDRF.

Mom2Kathy
11-08-2011, 11:57 AM
You absolutely disrespected her when you told her that she could come back when she had been at this as long as you. You should never invalidate someones feelings because they haven't been dealing with this disease as long as you.

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore. It was never about kids. The disease used to be called Juvenile Diabetes - that's where the organization got the name. It got changed to T1 a long time ago and JDRF hadn't changed their name to reflect that because they have a brand around JDRF.

Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

I stopped hoping for a cure a long time ago - I can't live with the disappointment - from any and every organization that hasn't found one. I am focused on giving Emma the most robust life experience I can expecting her to have Type 1 diabetes for the rest of her life. JDRF didn't take my hope - they gave me hope early on when I needed it until I was emotionally ready to deal with the lifetime implications of this disease

I wish we had a "Like" button. I agree 100%.

Deal
11-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Corporate re-branding is an expensive endevour. I wonder where they got the funds to do it...:rolleyes:

Lee
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Nancy, I am the one that said she felt abandoned. I also said it was a gut reaction and I couldn't explain it logically.

Thank you though, for invalidating my feelings.


You should never invalidate someones feelings...

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore.

Becky Stevens mom
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Corporate re-branding is an expensive endevour. I wonder where they got the funds to do it...:rolleyes:

Gotta sell more sneakers so we can....walk for advertising $'s or walk for new ad campaign $'s, walk for rebranding $'s mebbe:rolleyes: Yeah, Im not sure I understand the necessity of renaming or rebranding or having a different focus.

I honestly dont think that anyone is being arrogant or selfish when they say that they dont want the attention drawn away from our kids. It's Piper the 13 year old in that picture in their ad. And its children that go to the Children's congress every year to speak and its alot of kids and their families and friends who are walking for a cure or whatever theyre walking for now:( First and foremost we need to make sure people know that just because its called juvenile diabetes doesnt mean that its something that kids get that goes away as they get older.

hawkeyegirl
11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

What does this mean? What are they doing for adults now that they weren't doing before?

GRANDY
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I wish we had a "Like" button. I agree 100%.

I second this

Flutterby
11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
You absolutely disrespected her when you told her that she could come back when she had been at this as long as you. You should never invalidate someones feelings because they haven't been dealing with this disease as long as you.

I think its arrogant and selfish for someone to say they feel they are abandoned because JDRF isn't about just kids anymore. It was never about kids. The disease used to be called Juvenile Diabetes - that's where the organization got the name. It got changed to T1 a long time ago and JDRF hadn't changed their name to reflect that because they have a brand around JDRF.

Read the #s - 85% of people living with T1 diabetes are adults. Why should they be left out because 15% want the organization to only focus on their kids. They aren't abaondoning the kids - they are just including the other 85% of the population.

I stopped hoping for a cure a long time ago - I can't live with the disappointment - from any and every organization that hasn't found one. I am focused on giving Emma the most robust life experience I can expecting her to have Type 1 diabetes for the rest of her life. JDRF didn't take my hope - they gave me hope early on when I needed it until I was emotionally ready to deal with the lifetime implications of this disease


I'm sorry, but you jump all over sarah and took her words and twisted them and told her she was invalidating someone elses feelings. Then you called those that feel abandoned by JDRF ignorant and selfish. I'm confused, what do you call that? Isn't that invalidating someone elses feelings? Isn't that just what you called Sarah out on? Gosh, if people just let other speak their minds and didn't twist their words this place would be so much nicer.

At the moment I HATE JDRF. I HATE everything they are doing. Why are they did they partner with J&J? Why are they spending money on new branding/new logo? Why are they taking the money that *I* raised along with other hopefuly and wishful parents, thousands of dollars that I was walking for a CURE, NOT rebranding, NOT to give to a multibillion dollar company, for scientists and research for a CURE! I didn't drag my fat ass on JDRF's walk for 5 years for a CURE for them to be buying into J&J, or playing color time for a new logo. I guess that makes me ignorant and selfish.

Jeff
11-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Again, I'm going to ask everyone to take a deep breath and relax. We're not fighting each other.

Time to close this, as it's degraded to fighting.