PDA

View Full Version : cupcake carb count?

newatthis
08-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Anyone know what the carb amount (as close as possible) is for a homemade cupcake with buttercream icing? You know, your normal cupcake for birthday parties at school?

Today is Karsyn's second day of kindergarten and already a party!:D

Also, the carb count for biscuits. The cafeteria is supposed to be getting me this for their biscuits but I have a feeling they are not going to have this for me today.

I know it's last minute but hoping someone who knows will respond before we leave for school!

THANKS A BUNCH!:D

Kirsten
08-09-2007, 06:27 AM
~30-35g for cupcake. I don't know about biscuits.

Kirsten

nantomsuethom
08-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I would also guess 30-35 carbs for the cupcake
I think the buscuit is 20

nantomsuethom
08-09-2007, 06:33 AM
As a school nurse with 3 kids with diabetes last year, I HATED school parties!! But we always made it through them and the kids had a good time.

Our school district only allow 3 parties a year now. The teachers get to choose which holiday they would like to use these parties on. That gives the parents time to arrange time off to be at the party.

newatthis
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Thank you for your swift comments! I will go with 35 and see what happens.

D-Dad
08-09-2007, 06:41 AM
The icing is key....

The cupcake itself is prob 20-25 - by the icing can range from 15-40 - and sometimes that's all they eat!

momofphoenix
08-09-2007, 07:17 AM
I personaly refuse to let my son have the treats at school unless they are store bought, if there is a party and the treats are homemade I make something from home and send it with him/I buy something at the store.

As for school lunch's I pack his lunch and carb count it, the school lunch's never seem to be carb counted correctly and I hate the guess game for carb counting.

I run a bakery out of my home and my homemade cupcakes are 30g per cupcake the frosting is 15 so it is a total of 45g. (Unless I make low carb then the total cupcake is around 35 for cake and frosting)

BrendaK
08-09-2007, 07:29 AM
This is funny -- last year the teacher would call me at home and say there was a last minute treat -- cupcakes. So I would drill her over the phone. Are they "normal size" How big? How much frosting? What kind of frosting? A ton of frosting? or just a little bit like butter on toast? Do the cupcakes seem really dense, are there nuts? What flavor?

Oh My -- who knew you could ask so many questions about a little cupcake?

After all that -- I usually went with 25g for a "normal" cupcake with not very much frosting. One time a mom brought in a store bought cupcake that had at least 40g of FROSTING. I think the whole thing was aroudn 65g.

sam1nat2
08-09-2007, 08:00 AM
those cupcakes bug me too, so hard to estimate the frosting!
Our class loves to celebrate, seems like a b-day party a week! The latest is they bring in Krispy Kreme, works great since we can get a carb count and they are peanut free for the peanut allergic kid.

hold48398
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
We have figured out the store-bought ones pretty accurately by now:

30gr for a big one
15gr for a "mini"

Has worked like a champ for us...Now the homemade ones, I have no clue :rolleyes:

Gwyn
08-09-2007, 05:08 PM
We use a carb factor of .54 for frosted cupcakes at school parties. If you get them a small scale, the nurses won't have to call or guess. Just have them weigh the cake in grams and multiply the result by .54--that gives you the total carbs.

Works for us!

deafmack
08-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Oh this is when carb factors would come in so good. For baked goods like cupcakes and biscuits I use a carb factor of 50%. It is usually pretty correct. Does your child have a travel scale she can use.? I have a polder travel scale that I can carry in my purse. Here is the link for the scale http://www.amazon.com/Polder-932-00-Pocket-Digital-Scale/dp/B0002EXVH8/ref=sr_1_27/002-2515814-7469636?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1186738772&sr=8-27 This way she could just put the cupcake on the scale. Get the weight and half of the weight would be the amount of carb grams. and then go from there.

newatthis
08-10-2007, 06:50 AM
Okay, so I used the carb count of 35 grams for the cupcakes. The frosting wasn't saturated on there so it ended up being great! The wonderful thing is that the parent heard from her little boy that there was a diabetic in the classroom and brought sugar free cupcakes! I thought the gesture was sooooo nice. However, Karsyn wanted the big pink one like the other girls, not the miniature ones like noone else so she ate 2 big pink ones! I've never bolused her for 70 grams in one bang. I guess this is why they are called treats....:eek:

Gwyn
08-10-2007, 06:57 AM
That is so sweet that they sent sugar free ones too--you are obviously doing a great job of educating at your school!

momofphoenix
08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
That is so GREAT!!! Last year in our old school one of the mom's (she was the classroom mom) brought in homemade cupcakes for the class and since she was the "classroom mom" she had my phone # she called me and told me what she was making I just made Phoenix a sugar free one and she came and picked it up from my house so Phoenix didnt relize it was different from the other kids......

You just have to love parents that are considerate to our kids needs :D

hold48398
08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
That was so considerate of the parent! It's great to see some people try to make an effort. Just curious - how did his numbers come in afterwards??

Mymommymommy
08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
(Unless I make low carb then the total cupcake is around 35 for cake and frosting)

How do you make low carb ones? can you give me the recipe?

momofphoenix
08-10-2007, 10:05 AM
I use a lot of splenda while baking I also go to the

lowcarbgrocery.com site to get lower carb flour, then for the frosting I buy the betty crocker low sugar frosting (not completely homemade but hey I am only human ;) ) once they come out with sugar free powdered sugar I can do it all homemade :D
Then I just follow the recipe for normal cupcakes, they are great!!

This is the flour I use Carbalose Lo-Carb White Flour (1.36kg) it is 14.99 but well worth it....

My husband seen me make them one day and refused to eat them cause they were made with splenda, so I ended up making another batch that was "normal" sugar but a few weeks later when I made SF cupcakes again I made them when he was at work and when he came home he had one and said they were better then that last batch (he really thought they were the "real" sugar ones) ;) after I told him they were SF he said that he perfered them to the "regular" ones....

cassiebw
01-05-2011, 12:48 PM
@ Gwyn - yes, the parents are wonderful advocates for their child, but as for educating the school, please don't forget the school nurse! She is often overlooked as one of the key champions of your children at school! :)

Heather(CA)
01-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Anyone know what the carb amount (as close as possible) is for a homemade cupcake with buttercream icing? You know, your normal cupcake for birthday parties at school?

Today is Karsyn's second day of kindergarten and already a party!:D

Also, the carb count for biscuits. The cafeteria is supposed to be getting me this for their biscuits but I have a feeling they are not going to have this for me today.

I know it's last minute but hoping someone who knows will respond before we leave for school!

THANKS A BUNCH!:D

30 grams:)

redmcgee
01-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Oops...I have not being doing enough for cupcakes. I have always done around 25g. I know know to do more.