PDA

View Full Version : Abbott Free Style Data Cable

Jillian06
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Is it worth the $35 to purchase the cable?

Are there comparable off market data/usb cable that will work with the freestyle?

kiwikid
05-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Which software are you going to use it with?
We download to Co-Pilot which I love so I think its worth having the cable. I don't kow whether or not you can use any other cable. I wouldn't think so.:cwds:

lynn
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I think it is worth it to have the cable as well. When we bought ours it used a very old (even at the time) plug that our computer didn't have. We had to get an adapter before we could even use it. Because of that, I'm not sure about buying something from somebody else.

If you use paper records though? I wouldn't buy it.

PixieStix
05-21-2011, 06:41 PM
I bought the Abbott data cable for the Precision meter, about $35 too. I use it to upload the meter into Carelink for the MM pump, but have also use it for the Co-Pilot software before too. Well worth the cost for me, otherwise the reports only have part of the picture w/ complete meter readings. Tried for a while to put every number into the pump to avoid spending the money--was not good at this so broke down and bought it about 3 years ago.

JeremysDad
05-21-2011, 09:19 PM
If you are handy, you can make the cable. I did and it works. I took an unused USB cable and cut the end off and soldered a 1/8" stereo plug on the cut end. I cannot recall which wires go where but I found the diagram on line. There are only 3 wires to solder.

Until we started using the Omnipod, I used to download the Freestyle Lite's info to Copilot every week. That became our logbook.

Mimi
05-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Maybe it's different in the US but I just called Abbot customer service (Canada) and asked about the cable and software and they sent it to me free of charge.

I download Amanda's Freestyle Lite meter every week....sooooo much better than paper logging.

Jillian06
05-27-2011, 03:30 PM
If you are handy, you can make the cable. I did and it works. I took an unused USB cable and cut the end off and soldered a 1/8" stereo plug on the cut end. I cannot recall which wires go where but I found the diagram on line. There are only 3 wires to solder.

Until we started using the Omnipod, I used to download the Freestyle Lite's info to Copilot every week. That became our logbook.

Thanks for the tip...DH worked on this last night and it works!:)