PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for an 8 year old sleepover

ashleesmommy
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
We are having our first sleepover for my non d, soon to be 8 year old daughter. I let her invite 12 girls, thinking (hoping) probably only 6-7 will actually come. Well everyone is coming and only 2 not spending the night. Just wanted to get some ideas on fun things to do. Bought 2 kidz bop CDs. Thought we could do a limbo and hula hoop contest. I also bought stuff for an ice cream bar, thought that would be fun. We have an outside fireplace an will be doing s'mores. In the back of my mind, dreading what ashlees bgs are going to look like, but she's so excited too! So what else?? I would love to hear others' experiences!! Thanks!! Oh, and pray for my sanity please!!

skimom
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
What about making some friendship bracelets?or pick up some fun hair accessories for all the girls?

MissMadisonsMom
04-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Wow, brave lady! Have a great time - How about a dance party in the back yard (if it won't upset the neighbors) crank the music, have the girls choreograph some routines and put on a show. (it will also make them tired;))

Paint nails, braid hair, have a drawing contest, crafts... Lots of yummy snacks. I typically put out lots of fruit and vegies w/ dip, and keep the cr@p food to a minimum.

DsMom
04-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Great ideas. Think the nail painting will be great. Think about some "winding down" activities as well. A good kid DVD? Maybe a relaxing and calming yoga lesson? Much easier to transition to quiet or sleep time rather than go from crazy, dancing, and yelling to "time for bed!"

Didn't see where you live. If it's warm, a tent in the backyard would be fun. Glowsticks and flashlight tag? If it's cold and you have the room, a small tent inside is fun, too!

You are brave! Good luck. I'm sure it will be a memory your daughter will always cherish.

Deal
04-15-2011, 11:42 AM
If you're out getting supplies make sure to include a good pair of ear plugs for hubby. He will appreciate it.

jules12
04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I second having a movie to settle them down with - that always helps the ones who can't stay up not feel awkward about laying down.

Nail polish, hair accessories, etc. are always a hit. You could also get little picture frames and have the girls decorate them with glitter, etc. and take a picture of the group to put in them. One time, we had a "project runway" competition and divided the girls in groups and they had to pick one person to be the model and the others had to be the designers. We used cheap rolls of aluminum foil and had the designer girls make their creations and then the models had to do the "walk" to show them off. They were very creative complete with accessories and hats!

If you do nail polish - buy a cheap plastic table cloth to put down and make the rule that all the nail polish has to stay there.

Since you are doing songs and dance - there is always "Little Sally Walker" - The person in the middle walks around inside the cricle while eveyone else sings, "Little Sally Walker walking down the street. She didnt know what to do so she stoped in front of me. (at this point, the one in the middle stands in front of someone and does a dance move) -- (Still singing....) Hey girl, do that thing do that thing and switch! (the the person that got picked does the dance move) (still singing) Hey girl do that thing do that thing and swich! The new person now walks on the inside of the circle and continues the game. My daughter and her friends loved this one - they also loved to get my hubby and I to do their wild dance moves!!!

KatieSue
04-15-2011, 02:02 PM
When my daughter was younger I got fabric pens and men's large white T-Shirts and they made their own nightshirts. You can also do the same with a pillowcase.

We also made pillows once out of the polar fleece. I got a few different patterns of material and each girl cut out their pillow. Then I took them one at a time and "helped" them sew the edges. Then they stuffed it to their own specifications and I sewed up the opening.

We also did an "eye spy" scavenger hunt. I took photos of random things around our apartment complex and they had to find them.

I second the DVD's around bedtime. Calms them down before sleeping. I also ended up sleeping out with them at her first sleepover as it was also some of the girls first times and they were a little worried.

ashleesmommy
04-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I love all the great ideas!! Thanks so much!! We don't have to worry about being too loud bc we only have three neighbors, and we are all spread out over several acres, so that's a good thing! My girls did the "sally walker" at a cheer camp last summer, so they will love that! Thanks again!!

virgo39
04-15-2011, 11:13 PM
You've got lots of good ideas. We don't do well with DVDs right before bedtime, though. At our house, we'd have to do something else, listen to soft music while reading, doing a really simple, coloring type activity.