PDA

View Full Version : What does one do with "expired" pump supplies?

KellyMama
01-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Do I really just throw them out? :eek:

I was cleaning out our supply closet and realized I have about 20 sets with a 2010 exp and about 20 more with a 2/2011 exp. :( On the one hand, I wish I didn't have to waste them but on the other, I'm thankful our sites have been lasting longer and we didn't end up needing them! Our new sets have exp dates for 2013 so I'm trying to make sure we use supplies in order but I guess somewhere along the line I wasn't paying attention to the stash. Are they really not good any more? I have reservoirs too. *sigh*

ecs1516
01-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I wonder if your endo office would take them to give to families in need?

kimmcannally
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
we have never had a problem using expired supplies :)

valerie k
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I would use them. Or you could put them up for grabs on sale and swap.

I went through my supplies last night, there is no way in hell I can ever use all the supplies I have accumulated. I honostly have 29 boxes of quick sets... We got the start of an excess becouse we got the pump, and they kept sending supplies, yet, matt was not pumping for quite a while and it sat in a box. Then, my dad was put on a pump, and he got alot of supplies, and was just send another 3 month supply, and shortly after, he passed away.

However, everthing needs an experation date in medical, and I really dont think, that if kept in a controled place, that these are magically going to be bad after the date, a few years after, perhaps.

liasmommy2000
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
For a while we were getting more insulin than we could use in a month so I had a nice back up supply going on and kept some at my mom's and sister's for just in case (because they watch her and in case of some sort of major disaster you never know).

I've been meaning to check on the ones at my sisters and kept forgetting. I just did this weekend and realized they expired a month ago! Ugh. I also need to clean out the supply closet and I'm sure I have pump supplies that are close to expiring if they haven't already done so.

So no advice, but I too would hate to throw stuff out!

Caydens_Mommy
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I'd say go ahead and use them unless you just really don't want to.. I don't think it would hurt anything and if you are seeing higher numbers or think they aren't working as great, take it out put a non expired one on and go from there!

kim5798
01-19-2011, 12:12 PM
I would use them. If you think you will never use them up, do as another suggested & put them on sale & swap & maybe you can get something you do need, like strips.

KellyMama
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
I would use them. Or you could put them up for grabs on sale and swap.

Is that a separate forum or do I just post a thread about it? I definitely have more than I can use - even though ITA that I don't think they are magically bad because we passed a certain date! :)

denise3099
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Well lubricants do dry up and plastic/rubber starts to lose its integrity after a while, esp under extreme heat or cold. that said though, they aren't yrs and yrs old so I'd probably use them or give them away. The swap board is closer to the bottom of the main forum board. see along the top here how it has arrows from one board to the other--the most left link is the main board.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72
oe use the link.

Connie(BC)Type 1
01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I use the expired, unless they stop working,

clb1968
01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I have not had insurance in two years, a lot of wonderful people have donated pumps supplies to me, some have been expired, but I have used them all, if I have any issues, i might change out sooner, but no problems so far.

Caldercup
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I checked with our pump company on this same issue a month or so agao and they said the "party line" was that they expire, but the rep thought they'd be just fine.

If you endo agrees, I'd use them.

I don't think it would hurt anything and if you are seeing higher numbers or think they aren't working as great, take it out put a non expired one on and go from there!

A big yes to that advice!

CWD Moderator
01-20-2011, 09:23 AM
For safety reasons, CWD does not recommend use of products beyond their expiration date. Please follow the manufacturer's instructions and the advice of your health care team about using insulin pump supplies beyond their expiration date.