PDA

View Full Version : Humalog vs Humulin, is there a difference?

Reagan's Mama
10-21-2010, 11:11 AM
We have always used Humalog in Reagan's pump. We were given a bottle of Humulin and I'm curious the difference between the two.

I hate to throw it out, but just the same, don't want to use something I am not familiar with. Our endo team is out of the office until next week.

TIA,
Amy

C6H12O6
10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Does it say humulin n or humulin r ?

Reagan's Mama
10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Humulin R, insulin human injection

Also says, concentrated, High Potency Not for Ordinary Use

thebestnest5
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Humulin R is known as Regular insulin and it is NOT the same as Humalog--very different peaking times. If you have not been educated on using Regular insulin, don't use it.

TheFormerLantusFiend
10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
YES!

Humulin R is regular, not humalog. It is slower than Humalog. It won't kick it for a good 45 minutes and usually lasts 4-6 hours. Some people pump with it, but if you decide to do that you really need to prebolus by 45 minutes to an hour.

You should point out the mistake to the pharmacy ASAP.

P.S. I suggest getting the Humalog to use in the pump, and keeping the HumulinR in case you ever want to use it in the future.

P.P.S. Because of the time that it kicks in and lasts for, you'd probably need different basal rates too.

Amy C.
10-21-2010, 11:27 AM
Humulin is a brand name for a bunch of different insulins, none of which are the same as Humalog. There is Humulin R (or regular), Humulin R (U-500), Humulin N (or NPH), Humulin 70/30 (mixtures of NPH and Regular) and Humulin 50/50 (even mixture of NPH and Regular).

Humalog is fast acting and is what is usually used in a pump. Sounds like you were given the wrong insulin.

dianas
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
The two insulins are very different. Made by the same company but different onset, peaks and durations. Humalog has a faster peak and shorter duration and should be better for food coverage. Regular if I remember correctly peaks around 3 hours, onset is 30 minutes or more and duration is around 6 hours.

Who gave you the Humulin R? The pharmacy? If so that was a mistake they should replace the bottle with Humalog. I would take it back.

Reagan's Mama
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone. I found conflicting info on the internet, so just decided to come here, to the experts :)

The insulin did not come from a pharmacy. It was given to us by her school nurse last year as she was cleaning out supplies for the summer. I am down to my last bottle of Humalog, and realized this other bottle was still in the fridge.

We will not be using it in her pump.

Thanks so much!

C6H12O6
10-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Does it say U-and then a number ?

frizzyrazzy
10-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I found conflicting info on the internet, so just decided to come here, to the experts :)

The insulin did not come from a pharmacy. It was given to us by her school nurse last year as she was cleaning out supplies for the summer. I am down to my last bottle of Humalog, and realized this other bottle was still in the fridge.

We will not be using it in her pump.

Thanks so much!
good grief. I'm sure she meant well, but the ramifications of this are just...astounding. What on earth was she thinking?

I was wondering the same thing! I bet it's not even u-100.

dianas
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM

good grief. I'm sure she meant well, but the ramifications of this are just...astounding. What on earth was she thinking?

I was wondering the same thing! I bet it's not even u-100.

I just saw all this added. Lots of people responding now. My jaw dropped when I read the "high potency". If that vial says it is U-500 that is an insulin that is 5 times stronger than Humalog. 1 unit in a syringe is 5 units and so on. Most other insulins are U-100 in strength.

This is just beyond disturbing. :eek: If the insulin wasn't yours the nurse should have destroyed it at the end of the school year.

Reagan's Mama
10-22-2010, 09:17 PM
It was a U-500 bottle.

Thanks again everyone. I know she was trying to help out and never meant to harm my daughter. I am just glad I asked first.

NeurosurgeryNP
10-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Throw that bottle away! very high.potency. get rid of it!

frizzyrazzy
10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
It was a U-500 bottle.

Thanks again everyone. I know she was trying to help out and never meant to harm my daughter. I am just glad I asked first.
:eek::eek:
holy crap. Thank God you asked first. :) I'm sure she didn't mean any harm, probably thought she was just helping you out. But I guess this really underscores the reason why we don't share rx items.