PDA

View Full Version : Help! Left insulin out!

Tena
07-01-2007, 10:46 PM
Please help! I left ALL of Em's insulin out on the counter this evening after changing a pen cartridge. It was out about 5 hours. My house stays about 76 degrees. The insulin still seemed cool, just not cold. Will this ruin the unopened refrigerated expiration date? Will it now be bad after 28 days? I cant believe I did this! There were 9 lantus cartridges and 6 novolog cartridges. There is no way she will use that much insulin in a month. She shd be going on the pump in a cple of months and I was trying to get a little of a stockpile for emergencies. The unopened date was until 2/2009. Please tell me it will still be good????!!!!!

Tena

sam1nat2
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
I think you will be fine!!
When ds started on the pump and we had the follow up with the pump trainer, she said we needed to use room temp insulin to fill the cartridge. I put all the insulin in the cabinet and left it there. When we started pumping we got 3 vials/month and he only used maybe 1.
Insulin was fine, although I was told to not do this. Definitely we did NOT notice any difference in sensitivity.

sheila
07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
I would think it should be fine as well.

sparkyjt
07-01-2007, 10:59 PM
I agree. I keep ours at room temp.

Tena
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Do you keep ALL of it out or only what you may use in a month's time? This was ALL of her insulin, there is no way to use it in one month. This is the first time this has ever happened and I guess I am really freaking out about it. I know I will be able to use the novolog for the pump (if it will last) and I wanted to have the lantus on hand in case of pump failure or something, Am I being too paranoid?????

sam1nat2
07-01-2007, 11:11 PM
I kept all of it out, but no longer do so. I say use it and if you start seeing crazy numbers, you can assume the insulin is bad.
I asked the pharmacist and they said it is good for 28 days from when you open it, even if left at room temp, although they don't recommend it.

Once I forgot to check the date we opened the Lantus, I believe we used that vial for 8 weeks when it started loosing effectiveness, so much longer than recommended, even then it was not a huge deal.

Flutterby
07-01-2007, 11:35 PM
I think you are fine.. we get Kaylee's insulin from Aplus medical supply and although they send it with a cool pack its usually not cool by the time it arrives at our house.. we've been using it and haven't noticed anything.. a few hours, at room temp is most likely OK.. if it looks cloudy or gets 'chunky' its no good..if it were 100degree weather it would probably be a different story..

just keep an eye on it.. but I really think it's probably A OK:)

AP-Dad
07-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Our endo told us it's not necessary to keep the insulin chilled. This helped alot at the beginning to make Ainsley's shots less painful. We chill the extras until we use them mainly as a precaution.

selketine
07-02-2007, 07:20 AM
My understanding is that you are supposed to keep your "backup" insulin in the fridge (this is unopened insulin you are not currently using).

An opened bottle can be kept at room temp for about a month - we do this with William's current open bottle of insulin that we use to fill his reservoir.

I understand the question though - your backup unopened insulin got left out on the counter. I think I would just put it back in the fridge and hope for the best. I suppose the tricky part could be that when you go to use it (or if you start pumping and have a pump emergency and need to use the lantus for example) that you "could" find it doesn't work as well. As long as it doesn't look cloudy or crystals or weird somehow I'd guess it is o.k.

We have a bottle of lantus that gets carried around on all of our vacations as the "emergency" bottle and of course the exp. date is years out! I carried that last little bottle all over the place and I tried to keep it cold but I'm sure it went through some temperature changes. I just had to hope it would have worked if we needed it!:)

badshoe
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Once opened we were told to keep it at room temp. It hurts less than cold and bubbles less.

Like Carol the back up is in the fridge. We take a bottle on vacation un opened and cold and keep it in a fridge in the room. If un used it goes home and back into cold storage.

We don't cary a bottle around you would be suprised how easy it is to fill a needle from a pump resovour.

Tena
07-02-2007, 01:35 PM
ok rec'd phone call from people at novolog. Said to put back in fridge, but when I OPEN it to subtract time left out from the 28 day expiration time. So in my case it would be 28 days minus 5 hours left out. = new expiration. Other wise good til unopened expiration date. Make sense? I feel much better now. Thanks all.