PDA

View Full Version : Pre-filling syringes, ok or not? Help!

liasmommy2000
06-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Due to some child care issues, my half sister is watching Lia for us this week. She's watched her for a few hours before, but until now, never given her a shot. She's got the giving the shot down (and Lia can give her own if necessary) but is having difficulties drawing it up. I think it may be nerves.

I believe it's ok to prefill Novolog syringes. We've done it before, no problem and again today. I just put a unit more than I think Lia will need and my sister pushes out what isn't needed before giving the injection.

But I'm almost certain I once read here or somewhere that it's not good to do this with Lantus. Or at least not too far ahead. Anyone know about this? Dh and I can do it before we leave for work, but I'd rather not have to wake Lia up that early when she doesn't have to. She's not one to go back to sleep when she only has another hour before she would wake on her own. Especially when her favorite aunt is there lol.

Adinsmom
06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmm, I am curious to read what others think.

We draw up Adin's Lantus after dinner and then inject him before bed. So it sits in the syringe anywhere from 2-4 hours. We keep the Lantus in the fridge because the nurse at our old Endo's office insisted we keep it cold. We now do it out of habit and we can stretch the expiration a little longer before disposal.

kiwikid
06-18-2007, 10:03 PM
When we used lantus I always kept it in the fridge. If we went away for a few days then I would prefill however many nights worth we needed, and just take those with us. We never had any problems :cwds:

TheFormerLantusFiend
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
My CDE told me that the reason that insulin comes in glass vials is because plastic absorbs insulin. For that reason, I would not prefill a syringe if I was going to use it a long time later. I will sometimes prefill a syringe if it's for a few hours later, and I don't think that you'll have a problem with it short term. Could be wrong though. I certainly wouldn't prefill syringes and then leave them in somebody else's refridgerator for the next time I come over or something like that.

s0ccerfreak
06-18-2007, 10:21 PM
You could get an Aventis Lantus Pen. It's digital so she wouldnt have to worry about drawing up the right amount or you could dial it up for her before you leave and everything would be fine. It is soooo simple to use!

Val
06-19-2007, 07:16 AM
When I had to go in the hospital we prefilled syringes for both Lantus & Humalog. I was there for 2 days.

Beach bum
06-19-2007, 07:24 AM
I would invest in the pen for lantus and novolog. It leaves little room for error, and she might feel more comfortable with this.

Flutterby
06-19-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree the pens for the lantus and novalog are probably the way to go.. you just dial what you need and give the injection.. if her fear is drawing up the syringe then this would be ideal.. no knocking airbubbles out of it or anything like that..

we were told not to pre-fill the syringes because the plunger could easily get bumped and your insulin is gone.. my parents were afraid of the injections because they were so afraid they were going to do it wrong.. If we hadn't gone to the pump, we would have done the pens, I think they would have been more comfortable with those..

liasmommy2000
06-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh, we don't do pens because the Novolog pen won't work for Lia as her ratio is still 1:60 and we often give just a half unit. Or have to guesstimate at 3/4 unit etc. And since we don't use the Novolog pen, I didn't see any real advantage to a Lantus pen. I can see the ease in a Novolog pen when eating out etc, but once a day for Lantus, well, I just figured we'd keep doing what we're doing.

Anyway it won't really work in this situation as this is a temporary child care situation, just for this work week. The rest of the summer my other sister will be watching her and she's been giving Lia shots since diagnosis and is perfectly comfortable drawing up and injecting insulin via syringe. However she's a teacher and is doing training this week and not available to start watching Lia for the summer until next week. Of course Lia will be in camp then, so actually the week after that.

Anyway I did it this morning, so we'll see how it works. It's only for about 1/2 hour so before it's given. The Lantus that is. The Novolog for meals obviously is longer, but I've done that before with no problems a couple of times.

Abby-Dabby-Doo
06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Laurie~
I bet your fine as long as it doesn't sit an extended period. If it's over an hour, I'd put it in the fridge.

Mama Belle
06-19-2007, 11:30 AM
The logs are no big deal ... for pumpers they sit in a plastic cartridge for days, so those are definitely fine. I am not sure about Lantus, though; I'd check with your endo. Our docs always suggested putting pre-filled syringes in a toothbrush holder for transport, as they are less likely to be disturbed in a hard case like that.

s0ccerfreak
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
would she wake up if you would just give the shot before you leave while she is sleeping? My mom did that when I was on Regular and you had to give it 30 mins before eating.