PDA

View Full Version : Taking Supplies on a Plane????

Jensmami
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
In July we will fly from New York to Vancouver, BC - now, with the new security, how to we get our diabetes supplies (including pentips and lancets) on the plane?? Also do they still limit the liquids to take on board? I want to bring enough stuff, so we are covered for every scenario! Did anybody fly lately?:confused:

pkmoor
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
My son is on a pump and has a restrictive diet (we make most of his food). When we flew to Disney earlier this year we had doctor notes for the diabetes supplies and the food. Security examined everything closely but we were able to board with it.

jeep_bluetj
06-11-2007, 04:57 PM
We've NEVER had a problem with syringes, pen needles, etc. The biggest problem we had was when the pump set off the metal detector, and he was shuffled off to the group W bench without us. No real problem except it worried him. They wanded him, knew what the I pump was, and sent us on our way.

Other kid had a water bottle in his backpack. They took that.

(1 bottle of water confiscated, 30 syringes went right through... Interesting)

On the way back, the pump didn't even set off the detectors - everybody walked right through.

Just don't take that bear - you'd need to buy an extra seat :)

nebby3
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
We just flew last week. The pump was no problem--went right through security. Most of the D supplies they did not car at all about (including syringes and lancets). They did make us take the insulin out and put it in a separate bin as they do with all liquids. They don;t normally let you bring in liquids larger than I think 3oz. We did not try to bring juice boxes but I think if you had a doctor's note they would let you bring them in.
Good luck

s0ccerfreak
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM
You are allowed to take juice boxes incase of lows. Make sure you get a note from your doctor that list everything that you will need to have and make sure it says that it needs to stay with you or your child at all times (can't be checked under plane). We had no problems with security in the US no questions asked at all. They didn't even sheck the stuff all they said was "meds?" and she told them yes and he said "go ahead thats fine" he didnt look at it or anything which kinda scares you if you think about what someone could bring on a plane as "meds". We were told that pen tips/ syringes wouldnt be questioned as long as you also had insulin.

hold48398
06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi Caro :)

When we flew from FL to CA in February, we had no problems with any of Mia's supplies. We had a letter from our endo with us, just in case, but we never even needed it (however, it is good to have and I would definitely recommend it). I would also recommend taking glucotabs along with the small juice boxes. Last, I would split all of Jen's supplies into 2 carry-on bags as a safety precaution.

Have a great trip!!

mom to a sports nut
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Because you are flying International I would strongly suggest a note from your physician. Then back all syringes etc in a carry on bag. The strangest thing I found when we flew is that they don't want medical supplies in the luggage compartment. They never gave us a hard time but we were going on a Make A Wish trip.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our fine city!!!

Jensmami
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Thank you all for the great tips, I will see the Endo tomorrow and ask him for the letter. Yes, you are right Jeff, I think we have to leave the "little" bear at home.:) Marisa, I'm going to e-mail you later;)

Flutterby
06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
We just flew to disney last week. We had a letter from Kaylee's endo stating that she was diabetic and that she needed to carry her diabetes supplies with her, including lancets, needles, insulin, juice, strips, meters etc.. they also put in it that she has an insulin pump and it may not be x-rayed at all.. We didn't have ANY problems.. when we left home, its a rather small airport, they didn't say anything about her pump.. we told them up front we have d-supplies, including insulin.. and we also have juice boxes.. and we bought water, which you can take on the plane, AFTER we went through security.. We bought the little juicy juicy boxes and put three in a zip loc baggy.. they said normally they wouldn't let them through, but because of D they would.. Also, we split up our supplies, incase something happened.. but that was really quite a pain.. so on the way back my DH had all the supplies, and Icarried all the liquids.. made it easier.. we split everything into the ziploc baggies so we could just take them out for the people to see, so they didn't have to search.. also, if you check the bags, I believe you can bring whatever, its just the carry ons that they worry about..

just have yourself organized and you shouldn't have a problem.. you won't have a problem getting lancets and syringes through:)

Jensmami
06-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Hope you enjoy your visit to our fine city!!![/QUOTE]

I'm sure I will, everybody tells me that Vancouver is a beautiful city!:) We love Canada, but so far we have only been on the east side, our favorite so far is Montreal.

Jensmami
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
We just flew to disney last week. We had a letter from Kaylee's endo stating that she was diabetic and that she needed to carry her diabetes supplies with her, including lancets, needles, insulin, juice, strips, meters etc.. they also put in it that she has an insulin pump and it may not be x-rayed at all.. We didn't have ANY problems.. when we left home, its a rather small airport, they didn't say anything about her pump.. we told them up front we have d-supplies, including insulin.. and we also have juice boxes.. and we bought water, which you can take on the plane, AFTER we went through security.. We bought the little juicy juicy boxes and put three in a zip loc baggy.. they said normally they wouldn't let them through, but because of D they would.. Also, we split up our supplies, incase something happened.. but that was really quite a pain.. so on the way back my DH had all the supplies, and Icarried all the liquids.. made it easier.. we split everything into the ziploc baggies so we could just take them out for the people to see, so they didn't have to search.. also, if you check the bags, I believe you can bring whatever, its just the carry ons that they worry about..

just have yourself organized and you shouldn't have a problem.. you won't have a problem getting lancets and syringes through:)

Thank you for your tips! Where you allowed to buy drinks after security, and take them on the plane?

Flutterby
06-12-2007, 12:03 AM
yes, you'll be able to buy drinks and take them on the plane with you.. they should also serve you drinks during the flight.. we flew southwestern and they had all sorts of drinks to choose from, including diet coke and diet sprite.. normally you can't get diet sprite anywhere.. but they had it.. we flew out of a very small airport and they had a little magazine type stand that had water and other drinks you could buy.. and then when we flew back we flew through orlando internation airport and all I can say is WOW.. that place is HUGE LOL.. all their food items were after security.. all sorts of restaurants and stores.. after security, whatever you buy you should be able to take on the plane..
have a great trip!

Jensmami
06-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Kim, thank you so much for the information!

lilwitte
06-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Since all of the new restrictions I have flown at least 6 times and every time I bring juice with me, put it in a 1 gallon plastic bag and tell the screener that I am a diabetic and then they allow me to bring it through. I have never had a problem and have never needed a doctors note. I am actually flying tomorrow and plan on bringing all of supplies plus juice, glucose tabs, and snacks on the plane.

~Liz

melissabeth
06-12-2007, 03:16 AM
While we're talking about flying, I have another question:
What can and can't go through the x-ray machine? Insulin? the pump? anything else?
Last year we flew and had some insulin in the carry-on- I put it through the security machine and my husband said it was a mistake...
Do you guys disconnect the pump before your kids walk through the x-ray thing? How do you do it?

mom to a sports nut
06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Hope you enjoy your visit to our fine city!!!

I'm sure I will, everybody tells me that Vancouver is a beautiful city!:) We love Canada, but so far we have only been on the east side, our favorite so far is Montreal.[/QUOTE]

The West is FAR more beautiful than the EAST. .....that's what most BCer's think anyway! If you need any tips on where to go or what to see just send me an email!

Alison

s0ccerfreak
06-12-2007, 11:55 AM
While we're talking about flying, I have another question:
What can and can't go through the x-ray machine? Insulin? the pump? anything else?
Last year we flew and had some insulin in the carry-on- I put it through the security machine and my husband said it was a mistake...
Do you guys disconnect the pump before your kids walk through the x-ray thing? How do you do it?

Everything except the pump can go through x-ray, metal detectors are fine but do NOT let them x-ray it.