PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Miralax?

Ginagbaby1
04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
David has been having some stomache aches lately. We saw his endo on Tuesday and he ran a bunch of tests including celiac which came back fine. We spoke with his ped who told me to give him miralax since his stool has been a bit hard this week. Has anyone used mirilax on their d child?

Thank you,

wdhinn89
04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
We use benefiber. Basically the same thing.

manda81
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
We used Miralax before our CD dx... no problems.

melissajm
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
Ben uses it every day. No problems with it at all.

KHM
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Add us to the list of happy daily users of Miralax. Took a while to get things moving but since that time...very helpful.

joy orz
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
We have luck getting things moving with a nice bowl of old fashioned oat meal and camomille tea.

On a side note though, Ava's BG's will go high when things are not moving along. Interesting. I never saw the pattern, but DH figured it out.

One of the mysteries of D.

mmgirls
04-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes, we use it every once in awhile.

No problems at all.

vettechmomof2
04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
daily use here. no problems. she gets an adult dose once a day or every other day and problems arise if we miss a dose.

Flutterby
04-09-2010, 10:08 PM
yup, both my kids have used it.. there is a difference between miralax and benefiber.. benefiber adds 'bulk' and water to the stool.. miralax adds water.. so its easier to go.. we've have no issues usuing it with our kids.. my kids had severe constipation issues when they were little.. worked wonders.

sam1nat2
04-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Been using it with my non D toddler, but not without incident!!
Long story, but her issue is due to dairy. I was giving her a baby spoon full in her soy milk daily. Drs told me to increase the dose (they also said to give dairy again)
They told me to give half of a capful, which I figured out was 9x as much as she had before.

She was doubled over in pain crying tummy hurts. It was only after I came on this site that someone mentioned painful gas and cramping as a side effect---not the dr, pharmacist or nurse ever mentioned it.

The GI doc told me that the dose changes from person to person, you need to find the right dose for you

KHM
04-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Been using it with my non D toddler, but not without incident!!
Long story, but her issue is due to dairy. I was giving her a baby spoon full in her soy milk daily. Drs told me to increase the dose (they also said to give dairy again)
They told me to give half of a capful, which I figured out was 9x as much as she had before.

She was doubled over in pain crying tummy hurts. It was only after I came on this site that someone mentioned painful gas and cramping as a side effect---not the dr, pharmacist or nurse ever mentioned it.

The GI doc told me that the dose changes from person to person, you need to find the right dose for you

Yes, our NP told us we'd have to find the proper dose for our purposes. Fortunately we had none of the awful side effects your family did---sorry to hear that.

As with many over-the-counter products, I tried it before giving it to Lindsay. I found it more effective than Citrucel which I used in pregnancy and less dramatic than the Dulcolax I was once given in the hospital.

Best of all: its flavorless and carb-free and doesn't really change the viscosity of the liquid its mixed in...we've been known to mix it in the milk we pour on our her cereal, use it in her Crystal Light--all good. Worse thing (at least to me): its pretty expensive. I've been watching for sales and haven't had much trouble finding those incentives.