03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone, I just got a letter from my insurance company (Keystone East, which is a subsidiary of BCBS in eastern PA) informing me that as of April 1st they will no longer cover Humalog Insulin. The only insulin's they are keeping on their formulary are those produced by NovoNordisk. They sent me this long letter "proving" that Novolog works just as well. The problem is I was on Novolog about 10 years ago and every shot I took ended up swelling up around the injection site. My doctor at the time decided it must be an allergic reaction and took me off of the Novolog and put me on Humalog. I'm a bit scared that if I go back to Novalog now that I'm on my Omnipod I'm going to have serious problems after three days of allergic reaction at each site. Does anyone have any experience with fighting this type of insurance decision? Or any suggestion as to other options? According to the insurance I can still receive Humalog (at twice the price) until June but then would need prior authorization and would have to pay even more. I can't afford that. Does anyone know any other options?