PDA

View Full Version : My son is saying he wants to hurt himself

Tortiz
05-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Just recieved a call from the school, my son was not listening ran away from other adults and they even lost him for a second. The guidence counselor called me and told me that he was banging the wall with an umbrella at first and then he started to bang his head against the glass window. He was saying that he wanted to throw a pencil at her to hit her, and that he wanted to hurt himself. He has been going through a rough time he was diagnosed with type1 almost 2 years ago and my husband has had it since 10 and my daughter was just diagnosed before Xmas, but my son has been feeling alot of anger towards the fact that he has diabetes. Am I alone do any other parents have their kids going through a difficult time. I feel like a horrible parent and like my son is viewed as the BAD child in the entire school, she has even told me that she has never had a child that behaves the way that my son does. Please help he is going to a psychiatrist on Tuesday, but I need help from parents that are actually going through similar things like myself. Thanks

selketine
05-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Did you see my reply to your previous post? I had asked some questions about how his diabetes is managed at school.

I hope you can find some help for him quickly - it doesn't sound like typical behaviour.

Amy C.
05-18-2007, 01:10 PM
This isn't typical behavior at all. You may need for him to get in sooner to the psychiatrist than Tuesday.

My son has had moments where he was blue, but they passed within a few minutes.

Boo
05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm glad that you are taking him to see a psychiatrist. Hopefully it is one that is familiar with the emotional and physical tolls of living with a chronic disease (even better if they are familiar with type 1 in specific). This sounds like something that needs to be handled by professionals. If you or he don't click with the first psychiatrist, find another. You want to nip this behavior and get him on the right track while he is still young.

MLH
05-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with all of the posts so far.

If you tell them (psychiatrist) he is in crisis, (which he is) they will see him sooner. This poor little guy is crying out for help.

I agree, how is the school handling his diabetes? The guidance counselor was very unprofessional to make that comment to you. (I was a guidance counselor in my life before kids, she was inappropriate). If that is the way she feels and what she says to you what message is she sending your son??!!
I don't know what has gone on before, but perhaps there needs to be some changes in school.

It sounds like there are at least two issues here-one being the diabetes and your son's feelings and the second what is going on in school. Perhaps sitting down with the teacher and principal will help you get some clarification and do some fine tuning.

There have been times when my daughter gets really upset about living with D. Often, when we get to the bottom of it, someone has said something insensitive to her at school. We work very hard to educate her class about D, but there is always someone who asks her if they can catch D by sittting next to her. She has always bounced back quickly though.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this. I hope I had some helpful ideas. Please keep us posted. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.