PDA

View Full Version : Is Type 1 considered a disability?

SLJones77
01-21-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I didn't know where to put this question, here or in the insurance question area. Basically, I need to know if having a Child with Type 1 is considered a disabled child.

The reason I ask is for several reasons. The first is if we have to fill out a 504 plan, that's part of the disability act, isn't it?

I'm also currently unemployed. I've been laid off since August and if any of you follow unemployment rates, Oregon has one of the highest in the nation. I've been sending out a MINIMUM of 5 resume's every single day since I was laid off and have received very minimal response. I've had people look at my resume for suggestions, etc. The point is I'm working SO very hard on finding a job and not having alot of luck. I've never been in such a tough financial spot before that I had to rely on state programs for help.

Since being unemployed I've had some financial set backs. Unemployment benefits don't even cover living expenses. I am currently receiving Food Assistance to feed my son. So, here's where the real question is coming from ...

I called the Oregon Food Program yesterday to look into getting an increase in my food benefits because now Im feeding a type 1 and it's MUCH more expensive than it was before. The lady told me that food benefits are based on income, not disabilities. She recommended I contact the disability office to see if they can help me.

I'm just curious if any of you know if a Type 1 Child is considered a Disabled child?

Thanks!
Shelly

hawkeyegirl
01-21-2010, 07:44 AM
For purposes of a 504, yes, type 1 is considered a disability.

As for the food issue, can you tell us why you're spending more on food? We may be able to give you some suggestions to help with that.

Christopher
01-21-2010, 08:02 AM
I think you also need to clarify WHO it is that is considering diabetes as a disability. I agree with Karla, for a 504, sure. But in most other aspects, I would say no, it is not. As for the food, there is no reason it should be more expensive to feed "a type 1", than any other person. As Karla said, maybe if you provide more information that would be helpful. I hope you find work soon.

selketine
01-21-2010, 08:05 AM
The Islets of Hope website (I'm familiar with the person who runs it and she is great) lists resources available in Oregon but most are to do with insurance: http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/assistance-programs/oregon-gov.html

And try this: http://oregonhelps.org/

And this: http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/assistance-programs/oregon-1.html

You could always contact her at Lahle@IsletsofHope.com and see if she knows of anything if those links are not helping. She also has extensive information on disability definitions and diabetes: http://www.isletsofhope.com/civil-rights/main-1.html

Do you have health insurance - no problems with that? That is often the biggest problem with job loss (well...one of the bigger issues).

I don't know if the state would give you more money for food assistance based on the disability issue but some other organizations might step in to help provide money and/or healthy food for your son - like United Way, food banks, etc. - if you are finding it hard to stretch the food budget to get fresh fruits, vegetables, leaner cuts of meat, etc. This page has links to Food Assistance programs in Oregon and addresses the issue of those with disabilities. http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/spwpd/food_fin/foodfin.shtml

GaPeach
01-21-2010, 09:25 AM
an increase in my food benefits because now Im feeding a type 1 and it's MUCH more expensive than it was before.
Thanks!
Shelly

Shelly, I do not know about any food assistance available other than community or church based food pantries or the angelfoodministries.com that another poster mentioned.

I would like to add that my food bill went up following my DD dx. We had never kept juice boxes, snack foods, peanut butter crackers, and such in our pantry. Those items were special things only purchased on rare occassions.

Now we buy all those things and glucose tabs to treat the lows. The first 18 months, DD had to eat every 2 hours no matter what or she would drop like a rock. The pump has made it much easier to provide exact (to the decimal) insulin doses and therefore we do not have a mandated snack between meals as before.

Also, for those hunger pains associated with highs, we try to keep mini-carrots, lettuce, tomatoes and eggs on hand to use as free foods. Those fresh vegetables add up quickly.

Also, as a family of nine, we ate lots of rice, pasta, and potatoes. They are filling and go a long way. Now, we try to limit those type of foods.

I have gotten back to using coupons for shopping. Check out hotcouponworld.com (Check out the forums and you will find stores listed along with weekly match-ups of sales to coupons), coupons.com, smartsource.com, redplum.com, iheartsavingmoney.com to get you started.

Caldercup
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
In Pennsylvania, a child with Type 1 D can get state assistance for things like insulin pumps and supplies -- in this case, it's considered a disability.
Eileen

sam1nat2
01-21-2010, 01:11 PM
does your state have a state program for health insurance for kids??

mapoe4
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
sent you a PM

mmgirls
01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
If you need assistance and there is a program for witch your son qualifys for, be it diabetes or any other reason, no one will fault you for taking assistance if that means keeping food in the fridge and a roof over your head. Those are the most important things to consider.

As you can see there are varing veiws as to if "we" consider T1D as a disablity. We are not inportant in this situation, the people in which you are asking assistance from are the one that will decide.

Seans Mom
01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
You've gotten a lot of good leads here. My suggestion is to give the disability office a call and find out if THEY consider it a disability. I'm sure there are some here who wouldn't consider my deaf sister to be disabled either but under the guidelines of the disability office she qualifies. ;)
Hope you can find the help you need soon.

Avery'sMoM
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi, this my first post here! My dd was just dx in dec...diabetes and now celiac. I spoke with our dr about the disablity thing, her answer was...it is a disability but in order to receive a check you need to prove that the child cannot be cared for in a school/daycare and that usually would mean there is multiple dx's, or that the facility isn't properly staffed or willing to meet the childs need.

Also we have been ordering from angelfoodministries for about 6 months now...I love it! It's so easy, you order and pay online and then go pick it up...not dragging kids thru the store! And now with the celiac they offer the gluten free box which is a huge savings!

Good luck with finding a job!

twolittleladybugs
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Have you looked into SSI (supplemental security income) benefits? www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/
We were told Emily qualified, but we made just a tiny bit too much to get anything.

Good luck!

Kelly

deafmack
01-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Technically Diabetes both type 1 and type 2 is considered a disability under the American with Disabilities Act. Also both are considered disabilities for the purposes of getting a 504 plan to protect the student's right within the school setting and at all school related events, etc.
As to being qualified to receive funds such as SSI or other funds because of a disability that is a whole other ball game and is much harder to get. But saying this, it doesn't hurt to at least look at your options regarding this. Each state has its own set of rules along with federal rules so I would look at the suggestions you have been given and see what happens.

chkpea
01-22-2010, 05:51 AM
I don't live in the states so not sure of the programs, etc. there. But have you thought about using your current skills to start a business? Are you allowed to earn a certain amount and still retain your ei? We can do that in Canada.

I thought in the beginning that we were spending more on food as we were buying more prepackaged things which are more expensive but as we got better at carb counting I have been able to cut back on that. But I still need to keep things in the house that we didn't before - those quick snack items, which tend to be prepackaged.

Kalebsmom
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Type 1 diabetics do not qualify for SSI, unless they also have other diseases.

I wish you the best.

WestinsMom
01-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Type 1 diabetics do not qualify for SSI, unless they also have other diseases.

I wish you the best.

Actually, this is what the SSI site says about juvenile diabetes as far as coverage. It must require insulin and have one of the following:

A. Recent, recurrent hospitalizations with acidosis; or

B. Recent, recurrent episodes of hypoglycemia; or

C. Growth retardation as described under the criteria in 100.02.A or B; or

D. Impaired renal function as described under the criteria in 106.00ff.

WestinsMom
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
While in trying to get signed up for food assistance (a nightmare of a story) the case worker encouraged me to apply for SSI, for what it is worth. Mind you, Westin has numerous issues right now. I don't think we will qualify, but I guess I will give it a chance. I have heard of stranger things happening.

MaryMom
01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
I just returned from a JDRF diabetic state conference. The speaker stated that diabetes type 1 IS a disability. She stated this in the frame of possible discrimination in the schools and work place. We are still new to diabetes, but I learned so much from her presentation.

Mom2Michael
01-24-2010, 10:23 AM
In Pennsylvania, a child with Type 1 D can get state assistance for things like insulin pumps and supplies -- in this case, it's considered a disability.
Eileen

I'm in PA too and we got Michael an Access card which pays for all his diabetes supplies, doctor visits, hospital visits... they use our insurance 1st and anything not covered by BC/BS is then covered by the state. We have to update it every January and this should last his lifetime. But then again who knows when/if the country gets a new health plan system.

wilf
01-24-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't live in the states so not sure of the programs, etc. there. But have you thought about using your current skills to start a business? Are you allowed to earn a certain amount and still retain your ei? We can do that in Canada.

I thought in the beginning that we were spending more on food as we were buying more prepackaged things which are more expensive but as we got better at carb counting I have been able to cut back on that. But I still need to keep things in the house that we didn't before - those quick snack items, which tend to be prepackaged.

Note that in Canada there are very substantial tax credits and tax write-offs for families with children with Type 1s. :)

Kalebsmom
01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I can only go by what I was told when I applied for Kaleb when he was first dx'd just so we could get some help with his supplies. I was told right off the bat that unless there are other issues going on he does not qualify. I still have his denial letter stating Type 1 diabetes is not a qualifying disablilty.

SLJones77
01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
I really wonder if it depends on the state you live in.