PDA

View Full Version : Lantus/Novolog good for 28 days?

Jace's Mommy
12-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses Lantus and/or Novolog past the 28 days they say it is good for?

wilf
12-09-2009, 11:14 PM
We'll use them for a month, but that's it.

czardoust
12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Lantus is for 28 days but I have stretched it to 30. But mostly I just change it on the Friday of the last week of every month. Novolog is only good for 2 weeks, anything past that and Kats numbers start to drift upward :)

Kalebsmom
12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
We got 30 but nothing over that.

TheFormerLantusFiend
12-10-2009, 12:12 AM
My novolog penfils are usually used up much quicker than 28 days but if they're not I don't worry about it.

Lantus outside the fridge absolutely will not last more than 28 days, if it lasts that. Kept inside the fridge, I sometimes use it as long as 35 days; I've met folks who use it for much longer.

I think it depends a lot on the heat; insulin really does go bad in the heat.

If you're using 1000 unit vials and aren't using nearly that much in a month, let me suggest using penfils, even with syringes. That way you get the insulin in 300 unit containers instead- much less wasteful if your daily Lantus use (for example) is 8 or 12 units.

Mikker
12-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Just for kicks, and since J has been honeymooning so strongly we've had a little leeway. He's gone for 48 days with no noticeable changes in his BG's, but we also keep his insulin refrigerated 24/7. It's either in the fridge at home, or in his frio during the day. If he was full blown T1 we certainly wouldn't do that, and really wouldn't recommend going over the suggested 28 day manufacturer guidelines. It just ain't worth it.

kiwikid
12-10-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes I used it for months longer than the 28 days... We were paying out of pocket $128 vial at the time, and I didn't see any difference in potency from opening to last few drops. We kept it in the fridge at all times.

rare
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
It won't last past 28 days outside of the fridge. If refrigerated and never allowed to warm to room temperature it will last months.

jessandvarick
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
We use both for exactly 30 days and switch! Endo said that's fine.:)

tom_ethansdad
12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
We don't use Lantus but keep our NovoLog refrigerated and use it for two months after opening. Have noticed no change in effectiveness.

Jace's Mommy
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
We are also paying out of pocket and only use maybe a quarter of a vial if that, per month. I've heard alot of people go past the 28 days!
Today would be 30 days and we should have insurance by the 1st of the year. How do you all feel about me using the vial I have until we get insurance or see a change? I know it's my choice but I value your opinions!

rare
12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Before my son was on pens (and much younger) a vial would last him about 2 months refrigerated. It took that long to use one up. It never lost potency. Even now I'll squirrel pens and they'll sit in the fridge for a couple months sometimes before they get used. The vials have lasted him even longer at school (3 - 5 months?) because he'd only get insulin for lunch there.

denise3099
12-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Just my opnion but in your situatation I'd try it. Just keep an eye on bs and if they starts to go up then you'll have to spring for a new bottle, but if not then it's fine.

Btw, I kept the current bottle of lantus in dd's bedside table with syringes and gave her shot at bedtime. I opened a new bottle the first of each month, so 30 to 31 days for us. Never noticed higher bs at the end of the month.

Jace's Mommy
12-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Awesome guys thanks! I'm gonna be brave and try it !

Christopher
12-10-2009, 01:08 PM
If refrigerated and never allowed to warm to room temperature it will last months.

I would be careful making a blanket statement like that. I would hate for a newly dx parent to think it was OK to use a bottle of Lantus for months.

Becky Stevens mom
12-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Lantus is supposed to be changed 28 days after opening whether in the fridge or not. Ive forgotten before though and used it for up to 30 days or a bit longer. Didnt notice any differerence in potency.

rare
12-10-2009, 01:22 PM
It's not a blanket statement. It's been told to me by our CDE and endo because I've asked that very question in the past. I also followed up with precisely how long it's remained potent for me personally. A question like that is really best for a CDE, endo, or pharmacist. I would hope that all advice given on these forums is followed up with everyone's medical professionals before putting it into practice. ;)

Christopher
12-10-2009, 01:27 PM
It's not a blanket statement. It's been told to me by our CDE and endo because I've asked that very question in the past. I also followed up with precisely how long it's remained potent for me personally. A question like that is really best for a CDE, endo, or pharmacist. I would hope that all advice given on these forums is followed up with everyone's medical professionals before putting it into practice. ;)

Actually, it is a blanket statement. You are said that a refrigerated bottle of Lantus will absolutely last for months. You didn't say it may last that long, or it might possibly last that long. You said it will. And that is not true. It may be your experience, but it is not true for every bottle of Lantus. Not trying to split hairs, I just don't want people getting the wrong idea.

Becky Stevens mom
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Well now I had to go and get the paper out of the box of lantus and read it. So this is what it says, and I quote:

Storage

"Open (in use) vial:
Opened vials whether or not refrigerated, must be used within 28 days after the first use. They must be discareded if not used within 28 days. If refrigeration is not possible, the open vial can be kept unrefrigerated for up to 28 days away from direct heat and light, as long as the temperature is not greater then 86 degrees F."

It goes on to say that both the cartridge system in the Opticlik and Solistar should be kept at room temp and not refrigerated after opening and in use. And should be disposed of after 28 days

Its my opinion that the company has these recommendations because they have found through testing that the efficacy cannot be guaranteed to be 100% after the 28 days. I think that the lantus loses about 1% of its efficacy after 30 days. Not sure how much after that time.