PDA

View Full Version : Blood squirting after poking finger

BillysMom
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
My son had just finished a soccer game, got into my car and began to check his blood sugar. When he poked his finger the blood shot straight up in air and began squirting out. It's hard to describe. It startled me so much that I screamed. :o Of coarse he thought it was cool. Blood went everywhere. He put pressure over the hole to stop it and then went on to check himself. He wasn't high and was right around where he should have been. My question is, why would this happen? Could it have anything to do with it being so hot out (it was in the 90's) and he played the entire game without a break. Or is it just something that happens? I'm just glad it happened in the car and not at a table in a restaurant or in class.

emm142
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
It's happened to me before as well. Really freaked me out the first time, it hit my glasses! The first time it happened, I struggled to get blood, so I squeezed harder, and bam! :rolleyes:

hdm42
10-11-2009, 11:41 AM
oh my!:eek: I can see him thinking it was cool, but I would have screamed too. My guess is with the hot weather and all the exercise, his blood was probably pumping hard and that caused it.

selketine
10-11-2009, 02:09 PM
After 5+ years with diabetes, this happened a few months ago when I tested William. He was not exercising and indoors in the a/c and I actually was testing his finger so I know I didn't do anything unusual.

Goes to show it can happen I guess - but I don't know why. The distance it went was less than a foot. I guess I'm thinking I'd want to be a least a foot away from people when testing after that!

Mom_to_4_Princesses
10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
My son had just finished a soccer game, got into my car and began to check his blood sugar. When he poked his finger the blood shot straight up in air and began squirting out. It's hard to describe. It startled me so much that I screamed. :o Of coarse he thought it was cool. Blood went everywhere. He put pressure over the hole to stop it and then went on to check himself. He wasn't high and was right around where he should have been. My question is, why would this happen? Could it have anything to do with it being so hot out (it was in the 90's) and he played the entire game without a break. Or is it just something that happens? I'm just glad it happened in the car and not at a table in a restaurant or in class.

Wow! I haven't had that happen yet, but I must say I am glad that I read this because I would have flipped out I'm sure!! I remember the first time giving an insulin injection and blood just seeped out afterwards. I had SUCH anxiety afterwards. I'm glad your son handled it okay! :)

s0ccerfreak
10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I have had that happen numerous times in my 11 years with d, but I have yet to figure out why it happens. Last time it happend I was wearing I nice white shirt and ya you guessed it the blood went all over it.

abacobaby
10-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow, I would have freaked out:eek: That has never happened to us, but I'm grateful for you posting your experience, so if/when it ever does happen to us, I will know that it does happen sometimes..so thank you:cwds:

CheriMomTo8
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey, this has happened to us, too! Never figured out why. Wasn't hot or anything. Must just be the way the capillary is pierced??

Andrew's Mom
10-11-2009, 04:01 PM
We have been at it for 2 years now and this just happened for the first time last week. I am not sure why it happened because I didn't do any thing any different.

clb1968
10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
I have had that happen numerous times in my 11 years with d, but I have yet to figure out why it happens. Last time it happend I was wearing I nice white shirt and ya you guessed it the blood went all over it.

Yes, I had it happen on a white shirt:cool: too,

sisterbeth43
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I have had it happen to me several times. and I know it has happend to Reann a few times too.

mom2two
10-11-2009, 09:18 PM
This happen when I tested my husband once and I screamed and I think he did too :D

MissEmi
10-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Quote from sixuntilme:

Red Gold
After pricking your finger, blood comes out in geyser-like spurts instead of forming a droplet.

http://sixuntilme.com/blog2/2008/04/dtoes_second_edition.html

deafmack
10-12-2009, 02:56 AM
I had the spurt effect as well. Hit me in my nose. The other one is when I poke once and come up with several holes on the same finger.