PDA

View Full Version : CGM price?

Adinsmom
07-13-2009, 04:57 PM
We are going to have to go out of pocket for the cgm at the moment because we haven't met our deductable. How much does the Guardian and Dexcom cost?

I am pretty sure we want a stand alone unit because Adin's intolerance to long term medical device wear. We will be trialing animas and/or medtronic's pumps this month as well as deciding on intermittant cgm wear. I suspect he will definitely not wear the cgm continuously regardless of what happens with the pump.

Thanks.

blbrocky
07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
We purchased in June. MM cost out of pocket was $650 for the transmitter and $350 for a box of 10 ea sensors.

Dad of Daughters
07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
We are going to have to go out of pocket for the cgm at the moment because we haven't met our deductable. How much does the Guardian and Dexcom cost?

I am pretty sure we want a stand alone unit because Adin's intolerance to long term medical device wear. We will be trialing animas and/or medtronic's pumps this month as well as deciding on intermittant cgm wear. I suspect he will definitely not wear the cgm continuously regardless of what happens with the pump.

Thanks.

Shelley,

If you are considering a pump and CGM start and all of it is out of pocket, would it make sense to lend a little extra weight to the Medtronic Paradigm since you would be getting the pump and CGM receiver for the price of 1? Clearly you have to be comfortable with Paradigm as both a pump and a CGM, but it seems if that is the case, that would be the most economical choice.

Adinsmom
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Shelley,

If you are considering a pump and CGM start and all of it is out of pocket, would it make sense to lend a little extra weight to the Medtronic Paradigm since you would be getting the pump and CGM receiver for the price of 1? Clearly you have to be comfortable with Paradigm as both a pump and a CGM, but it seems if that is the case, that would be the most economical choice.

Thanks Brett I agree. :) If Medtronic incorporates the smaller basal that has been rumored or released the parent cgm monitor it would be a no brainer for us.

It looks like we are going to wait until our appointment in November to ask for a trial on a tubed pump. It will be cooler here so less chance for Adin's skin to react to the tape. As well as have a whole year to work with insurance to cover the cgm and pump under one deductable.

betty6333
07-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks Brett I agree. :) If Medtronic incorporates the smaller basal that has been rumored or released the parent cgm monitor it would be a no brainer for us.

It looks like we are going to wait until our appointment in November to ask for a trial on a tubed pump. It will be cooler here so less chance for Adin's skin to react to the tape. As well as have a whole year to work with insurance to cover the cgm and pump under one deductable.

If you can get a standalone device CGM, I'd recommend it. It would be a real PIA to ask the child to stand still to look at the receiver. MM users frequently report "lost sensor" errors when the receiver is on the other side of the body from the sensor, much less a few feet away.

one of the things we have truly appreciated is being able to keep the receiver on the nightstand and in my room to check on the numbers at night.

I think animas will be combining with dexcom soon, but you'd still want a receiver you can carry around even if the readings are on the pump. Animas has that tiny basal rate too, that is a nice feature for the little ones who are sensitive to insulin.

hawkeyegirl
07-14-2009, 03:14 PM

At MM's fiscal year end meeting this year, they said 3Q fiscal year 2010 (so January-March 2010) for the new pump (which will have the new basals and the parent monitor).

We chose the MM so that Jack doesn't have to carry a separate receiver. Being an active 5 year old, I am often not near him to carry a receiver for him, and he will be in school this fall. It is no problem to walk over to him, push a button on his pump, see the CGM reading, and walk away. (We use a clear front pump pack.) The parent monitor will be nice, as you'll get readings from anywhere in the house, and will be REALLY nice at bedtime. (Depending on price, I'm pondering buying one for school, too. It would be awesome if the nurse could look up from her desk and see Jack's BG!)

The other plus of the MM is that your sensor data and pump data is integrated in the same reports. That truly is a huge advantage, as you can see when you bolused, ran a temp basal, etc., right in the sensor reports.

The Dexcom has the best-designed transmitter and stays on the body best without extra tape.

If you truly want a receiver for you to carry, I'd get a Navigator. I personally wouldn't risk it with the reliability problems people are having with the equipment, but there's no doubt it has the longest range, by far, of any of the CGMs. Of course, the downside is that the transmitter is huge. If Adin didn't like the Pod, he probably would not be impressed with the Nav.

So basically, there is no clear winner. Based on price, MM would be the cheapest for you if you're buying a new pump anyway. The sensors are cheapest too, by far, if you're paying out of pocket for them.

chbarnes
07-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Dexcom sells a 4 pack of sensors for $275 cash, only if your insurance doesn't cover CGM. The sensors are labeled for 7 day wear, but most people here get longer.

Chuck

Adinsmom
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for giving your experience with the products. :cwds:

zatff
07-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Dexcom sells a 4 pack of sensors for $275 cash, only if your insurance doesn't cover CGM. The sensors are labeled for 7 day wear, but most people here get longer.

Chuck

Sometimes companies have a cash discount sale too. Dexcom recently had one where price was discounted for cash buyers.

Ali
07-23-2009, 12:15 AM

Chuck

Boy, I pay out of pocket and $275 plus shipping a month would be a stretch. I have been using a CGMS for almost a year and still run into sensors that do not insert properly or hit a bleeder or end up being in a poor spot. Pull within 24 to 36 hours. I can not wear a sensor beyond a week, I start reacting at the site. This would be double what I pay now. I used a Dexcom for six months. Thought the sensor and needle and trans. were great. Disliked the large receiver. :)Ali