View Full Version : we are joining the lay off bunch too !
04-26-2009, 10:25 PM
OK as many of you know I do have alot on my plate right now with my son! besides that going on we are going to be joining the layoff bunch too! Here is the deal. MY DH work is cutting back from 6 supv. to 2 DH is lowman on totum poll and He has a choice of
1. laid off in june, with a 10 week severance package, and 6 months worth of insurance paid for ( we would get thru the year insurance wise) or
2. taking a demotion and a $600 per month paycut. BUT with this by the time they take out taxes and insurance. he would make less than he would with unemployement..........
THEN My work has just anounced that there will be more lay offs at the end of MAy, they are currently reviewing who and what departments will be effected. This will be the 3rd round.. I can only be so lucky...
What would you do take option 1 or option 2
04-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Does option 2 include health insurance? Can you scrape by on that big of a pay cut?
I'd be worried about the insurance and probably take option 2. It's so hard to find another job right now. What industry is your hubby in? Does anyone seem to be hiring in that area?
04-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I would have to wonder how long employment is guaranteed, if at all, under option #2.
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Not sure what I would do, but wanted to say I am sorry about the layoffs. Hope you survive the next round.
04-27-2009, 08:11 AM
If he likes his job, I'd recommend the pay cut. Unemployment has been extended, but there are no jobs out there. DH has had two interviews since November and is now looking at a job that pays less than half of his previous salary. I feel lucky that my job is *very* secure.
Hang in there!
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to offer my support and say how sorry I am for your DH and family.
04-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I would say, if you can swing it stay with the current job. My DH was cut 'temporarily' about $1000.00 per month (from 6 days per week to 5). We are just happy he is still employed and we have health insurance. I would be crazy if I had to worry about health insurance and the budget at the same time.
04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
There are a lot more options available health insurance wise. I would do what is best for your family finance wise.
Do a google search on health insurance quotes in your area---fill out the form and a broker will call you--
Just lost the rest of my post and computer is acting up, feel free to PM me or you can get my email off of facebook.
Definitely not as dire health insurance wise as you would think.
I think it would depend a lot on insurance. If you have the option of a state insurance for the kids then maybe option two would be our choice. But with the problems you are noticing with your son I wouldn't go without insurance for him. Here in Michigan we have Children's Special Healthcare that covers chronically ill children. That would make me feel more comfortable going without insurance for a period of time. Another thing you would have to think about is if there would be a long period of time to wait before Charlize would be able to receive insurance at a future job because of pre-existing condition rules.
BUT, if the insurance would work out then we would think about what is keeping my husband at his current job. You husband would have two months of work still and then two and a half months of severance, then a year of unemployment after that. That does give some time to explore options.
Then again, at this time it is very scary to feel like you are choosing to be unemployed. If he stays does he feel like his chances of staying long term are really good? That would have to factor in too. This may be a better deal than he would get in a few months.