PDA

View Full Version : meeting the cgm rep

dragonfly
04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
In a few weeks I'm meeting the rep from medtronic about cont glucose monitors. What do /i need to know? What should I ask? (Other than for some freebies!)

dragonfly
04-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Anyone?

Our endo hasn't talked too much about cgm yet.

22jules
04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
We have the minilink--not sure what you're asking? I would definitely ask them how they work etc. and if they will let you do a trial I would suggest it. We have had ours since Feb.--it is a great tool but my daughter is not incredibly thrilled with it and it does take up a lot of room on her small little body.

Rick
04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Have you checked out the Yahoo "Diabetes CGMS" group?

mph
04-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Have them discuss calibrations in DETAIL because calibrations are EXTREMELY important to having success with the CGMS!:)

They will tell you sensors can only be used for 72 hours. We know better. But we do not "mention" that to the reps.;)

Do you know all the areas of the body on which a sensor can be worn? Medtronic does not "encourage" the arms, but they can be used and may be more discreet in front of a trainer if your child would have an issue with that.;) Nick was too thin for the abdomen and legs so we used his bum though he was a bit red-faced about it.:o I wish we had tried the arm right away.

Best wishes!!!!!!

Darryl
04-19-2009, 10:44 AM
In a few weeks I'm meeting the rep from medtronic about cont glucose monitors. What do /i need to know? What should I ask? (Other than for some freebies!)

You need to know is the comparisons betweent the CGM's because they all have their pro's and con's. We use the minimed Guardian and are very happy with it, but it lacks some features that other CGM's have (examples - s Dexcom has a less invasive sensor, Abbott may have a longer transmission distance, the Guardian receivere is water-resistant) Sensor costs and lifetimes vary as well, but all manufacturers understate the true sensor lifetime to match their FDA approval.

If talking with the MM rep in particular, you'd want to know the difference between the Guardian (stand-alone CGM) vs. the combined pump/CGM version.