PDA

View Full Version : drivers license??????

shirley83006
03-09-2009, 10:19 AM
i am just wondering about this subject. i dont need to worry about this subject for sometime. but for when they are to get their drivers license. ? My older daughter said they do ask if you are insulin dependent. Will our children have a problem getting a license?

Kalebsmom
03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
My son did not have any problems getting his permit or joining drivers ed. He wil be getting his DL this Friday. I think it varies by state, for us it does not matter. They don't even ask. As long as he has never lost consciousness in the last 6 months there are no issues. Same goes for our car insurance on him. It does not cost anymore than it would if he did not have diabetes.

You can google your state and it will tell you if they require a doctor's note stating that there are no problems with him/her driving. I know there are a few states that are pretty picky on this.

Kalebsmom
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
This website may help you

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqmed.html

or try this one

http://www.floridadrivers.com/drivers_license/your_florida_drivers_license.php

hawkeyegirl
03-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I know there is a sign in our endo's office that they will not provide a letter to the DMV unless the a1C is less than 8.

Danielle2008
03-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Good question, and I am not entirely sure.

I got my driver's license before diagnoses, but I don't remember them ever asking anything Diabetes related. However, if they did...I probably let it go in one ear out the other because it didn't apply to me(at the time...).

hypercarmona
03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I know there is a sign in our endo's office that they will not provide a letter to the DMV unless the a1C is less than 8.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. A higher A1c would mean fewer lows. Fewer lows would make it less likely that a low would happen behind the wheel. ;) What if your A1c is 8.1, but you're doing everything you possibly can and the numbers won't budge? Sounds unreasonable for them to deny driving based on higher A1c, or even basing it on A1c at all. The number of lows per week/month, hospitalizations due to lows, glucagon use, etc. would be a better indicator of who would be a danger to society behind the wheel.

I developed D before I got my learner's permit. No one at the DMV here in NC has ever asked me about my diabetes. Nor have I ever needed permission from my endo in order to obtain a driver's license.

mollgirl
03-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Jason got his drivers permit and it says insulin dependent. I assume that means his license will say the same. We live in Fl. by the way. They never asked about a Dr.s note either.

mishcoto
03-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind this. A higher A1c would mean fewer lows. Fewer lows would make it less likely that a low would happen behind the wheel. ;) What if your A1c is 8.1, but you're doing everything you possibly can and the numbers won't budge? Sounds unreasonable for them to deny driving based on higher A1c, or even basing it on A1c at all. The number of lows per week/month, hospitalizations due to lows, glucagon use, etc. would be a better indicator of who would be a danger to society behind the wheel.

I developed D before I got my learner's permit. No one at the DMV here in NC has ever asked me about my diabetes. Nor have I ever needed permission from my endo in order to obtain a driver's license.

Our endo told us the reason they go by good A1C's is because that is really the only barometer they have that let's the doctor know you are taking care of yourself since they doctor can't be with you all day, every day observing you.

sisterbeth43
03-09-2009, 04:55 PM
As others said, it varies from state to state. Reann was asked if she had any medical conditions that could affect her driving abilities. She told them she had type 1 diabetes and the examiner stated that "Here in Iowa we don't count that."

2type1s
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I was told by my endo that she will have to "sign off" on Morgan's permit/license. We're 6 months away from a permit, so I'm going to put my head in the sand a little while longer.

moco89
03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
In Texas, the law is super-lenient.

I do not need any letters from the endo.

On the driver's license renewal form, it asks if you take insulin. When you take it to the DMV worker, they make you fill out a very general form about your diabetes. It asks you how many units/day are you taking, how long you have been diabetic for, and any hospitalizations for D. It doesn't even ask for an A1c. I have even had unconscious lows in the past, and it has never affected my license at all.

For a learner's permit, the insulin question is not even asked.

TheFormerLantusFiend
03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
It's state by state. Here in Illinois, you need to not have had a seizure within the previous year, and I think you need an endo letter.

Diabetes was part of my decision not to drive.

kyleesmom
03-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I just took my oldest(non d) to get his permit on Friday and on the paper he was filling out there was a box to check if you had epilepsy or type 1 diabetes and you wanted a colored box put around your picture. If you checked the box, you also had to have a letter from your doctor. Im not sure what the purpose of it is other than maybe for your own safety.

Ellen
03-10-2009, 01:29 AM

Interesting - understandable the endo wants the teen to be conscientious, but a low A1c may also indicate lots of low blood sugars so is that really better for getting a driver's license?

Illinifan
03-10-2009, 08:56 AM
In Ohio, you have to have an endo letter that states that you have good control of your diabetes. I don't believe that there is a maximum A1C that you have to have, but you do have to have the letter.

CC'sMom
03-10-2009, 09:03 AM
We're about a year away from this. YIKES!

I was speaking to a mom last night who's daughter has seizures. She said they didn't need anything from the DMV, but had to get a letter from the doctor for the insurance company. She said it didn't change the rates or anything, but the insurance company wanted to make sure she was under a doctors care. I'm guessing, T1 would be treated the same way, but I'm not sure. Fortunately I have a year not to think about it.:p

shirley83006
03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Jason got his drivers permit and it says insulin dependent. I assume that means his license will say the same. We live in Fl. by the way. They never asked about a Dr.s note either.

perhaps it can be good, it could work as an medical alert.