PDA

View Full Version : Cold medicines??

gyorkos
02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
What do you give when your child is sick with the flu or with a cold??

BrendaK
02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
We just give regular cold medicine -- tylenol, pediacare. Once I called the tylenol manufacturers to see how many carbs were in the liquid tylenol. They actually were able to pull up the info on the computer and the amount was so small (something like 1 tenth of a gram of carbs in a dose -- I can't remember exactly). I have also asked our pharmacist about how many carbs the antibotics had (like augmentin). The answer was the same as tylenol -- very small. I know they make sugar free cough syrup -- but we have a lot of trouble with digesting malitol and sorbitol artificial sweetners, so we just choose to use the regular stuff. Hope that helps.

gyorkos
02-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh good. I was wondering if I would have to buy something different. My son has had the flu and I am hoping that my daughter doesn't catch it, but I wanted to get something to have on hand if she does come done sick. I was going to ask the Dr. tonight when I call in her numbers.

Beach bum
02-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Our endo said that the carbs were so minimal that it wasn't worth going out and buying something special, it wasn't going to have that much of an impact on our daughters numbers. We just use what we have on hand.

Hollyb
02-27-2006, 04:05 PM
We were told that decongestants can raise your BG -- lots of combined cold medications have decongestants as one component.

pammelasue
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
We usually use Sugar-Free Robitussin but not sure that it makes a huge difference...it's not like they take tons of the stuff.

pookas
02-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Our Endo. says just use the regular stuff since the amount of sugar and carbs is so minimal. They said not to waste our money on the sugar free stuff. Besides, I looked at those and there is not one that Hunter would even try. It has to be grape flavored.

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

Mik's Mom
03-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Our endo team advised us to use sugar free cough syrup and cough drops. ( but if we didn't have any on hand to go ahead and use regular) The ludens sugar free cough drops are yummy. We also switched from liquid to caplets for Motrin/Tylenol...

I don't know if it will make much of a difference, but it's the same price as regular and both my kids actually prefer the sugar free cough drops:D

jonathans_mom
03-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Our endo told us the ony thing that they absolutely did not want our son to have was regular pancake syrup and regular soft drinks! Anything else was ok...eveb the cough medicine. Endo told us don't pay the extra money for it because it was not worth it.
Hope that helps.
Tammy:)

teelduo
03-15-2006, 01:46 PM
We were also advised by our Endo team to use anything unless it specifies not to use if diabetic.