PDA

View Full Version : When/Why do you Check BG at night?

Reese'sMom
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
When we came home from the hospital after dx, the endo instructed us to do 2 am bg checks for 2 or 3 more days. So that is all we did, I haven't checked in the middle of the night since then. But I've seen that many of you do this somewhat regularly.

So, my question is, if you do this, why and under what circumstances?

Reese goes to bed between 120 and 140 and he wakes up between 70 and 95. Only once did he wake up below 70 and that was after being sick. I am assuming these numbers wouldn't prompt a middle of the night check, but I am wondering what numbers would. Thanks!

miss_behave
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
You will find that many parents here check every night for several reasons

- diabetes doesn't go away at night, you wouldn't not check for 8-10 hours during the day, so why is it ok at night?
- most children do not wake up by themselves if they are low
- levels can and will fluctuate at night, growth hormones, delayed exercise lows etc

During the night I have been extremely low for no apparent reason. Luckily I tested and treated. IMO theres too much risk for dangerous undetected lows at night.

jcanolson
02-16-2009, 11:27 AM
We don't check every night, but we probably do most. Especially if we have had an extra busy day or certain foods that tend to cause spikes or lows later.

Think back to graphing in 6th grade. Just because you plot one point a 140 and plot the next 8 hours later at 70 doesn't mean that there is a straight line between those 2 points. BGs could be varying greatly through the course of the night.

I've noticed that if I can get her overnight numbers in a good range and steady that our A1C is typically much better.

AlisonKS
02-16-2009, 11:32 AM
we've had a few lows at 2 am where it made no sense, well as much sense as there is w/diabetes-not a busy day, no illness, etc. and Tony doesn't wake when he's low.

MichS
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Thank you for asking this. I've often wondered if I am an awful D parent. But I do know that Noah's honeymoon is making our life relatively easy right now. We checked his bg for the first week when we were home, and we will check it periodically if we change his night time nph, but otherwise we've found that if he goes to bed around 6-8 (115-150) he wakes up at 4-6 (70-115) and fine in the middle. Our nighttime checks have always been fine. So far..... I know it will change. All of your posts are preparing me for this,....

Heather(CA)
02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
I ALWAYS test Seth at 3 hours after dinner, if that number is where I want it, and he hasn't had an excessive amout of exercise. I don't test again.

While D doesn't stop at night. The fastacting and some other varibles do...That's why some people test and some don't;)

Logansmom
02-16-2009, 11:46 AM
We ALWAYS test at 230a. We have a toddler and have had many unexplained night lows. And highs. Even with the CGM now, we still test. Most of the time when he's getting sick, we find out due to unexplained night highs. We won't remove that 230a test for years to come, it's peace of mind!

Judy&Alli
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I test Alli every night at midnight. At this time there is no active bolus/fast acting insulin in her system. I use this reading as a bouncing off point. If she has a good reading then I don't test anymore until morning. If she was having issues then I will set the alarm and test again. The few times that I say I am not going to test, I can't sleep. I toss and turn and end up checking her anyway. So until I get that midnight check I am not comfortable. There have been quite a few times that she was low for no known reason.

Zanesmommy
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I ALWAYS test Seth at 3 hours after dinner, if that number is where I want it, and he hasn't had an excessive amout of exercise. I don't test again.

While D doesn't stop at night. The fastacting and some other varibles do...That's why some people test and some don't;)

I do the same. Though some nights he goes to bed too early for me to check 3 hours post dinner. Below are reasons we started to check at night. (we were advised that we did not need to check at night, and still do not check on all nights)

Reasons we check his BG while sleeping:

1) gave insulin to correct before be
2) gave food to correct before bed
3) he wakes up while sleeping
4) overly active day
5) he seems restless on the monitor (we have a video monitor)
6) if we increase his Lantus

We probably end up checking 4 nights out of every 7 on average.

shekov
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I test in the night if she has IOB at bedtime and her # isn't where I would like it to be, she's has had a busy day, ate anything high fat (pizza), is sick, in a growth spurt, if we've changed basal/bolus doses or if I happen to be up anyway (bathroom trip:o).

That means I test almost EVERY night. I am used to it now but at first it was SO hard for me.

You'll find what works best for you. Educate yourself as mcuh as possible. Then trust your instincts.:)

Diana
02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
We test at night. Well, now we have CGM so we just wake up for the alarms and they go off alot. Before that, I would stay up late (12 or 1) and then make a judgment about whether to test again before morning. I would rather have tested more regularly throughout the night - I do think that is better - but I just couldn't do it and remain a functioning, semi-pleasant parent.

We didn't always test at night, but then we tried it a few times. And we found all sorts of crazy things going on. My son NEVER wakes up for lows, and it scared me.

CGM has been awesome for me. I still get up almost every night, but only when I need to, and some nights I get extra lucky and sleep all the way through. And I sleep better now that I'm not worrying all the time about whether I really should be getting up to test.

Bsbllmom
02-16-2009, 12:15 PM

I do the same as Heather. I will test 3 hours after insulin is administered. So if I do a 4 hour combo bolus with dinner (pizza) and we usually eat by 6 I will test at 1 a.m.

If I have to give a correction at night then I will test him again in 3 hours.
I will also test if there are unexplained lows, usually more than one, during the day or if he is really active during the day because he will drop at night.

sammysmom
02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
D does not stop at night but most of the variables do so that is one reason not to test all through the night. It is an individual thing. It does not make you a bad parent if you do not test through the night. You know what is best for your child.

We check Sam's bg when we go to bed. Lately, thats been about it. Sometimes for certain reasons we end up checking at night but lately we have not. He is still alive so I think we are doing an OK job!

wvchinacat
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
During her honeymoon was when I needed to check lots bc she would drop for no apparent reason about 3 am and by 9:00am she would spike really high. Since we have come out of honeymoon (mostly!:rolleyes:) I do nto always check at night. But I know that will change in about 2 days as we start on the pump and I will for sure be checking her lots until we get into a better routine or until I feel comfortable . . .I do not fault any parent who does not check in the middle of the night - some need more peace of mind than others and some kids as with all D just are more unpredictable with their numbers than other. I really think middle of the night checks is a YDMV thing!;)

liasmommy2000
02-16-2009, 12:37 PM
D does not stop at night but most of the variables do so that is one reason not to test all through the night. It is an individual thing. It does not make you a bad parent if you do not test through the night. You know what is best for your child.

We check Sam's bg when we go to bed. Lately, thats been about it. Sometimes for certain reasons we end up checking at night but lately we have not. He is still alive so I think we are doing an OK job!

That's kind of our theory. Lia also a) wakes for lows b) is a light sleeper which is why I think a) happens and c) started having a lot of sleep/anxiety problems when we started checking multiple times a night. Because she is a light sleeper checking too often messes up her health in other ways. So as long as she wakes for lows, this works for us.

2ladybugs
02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I check every night between 1:30 and 2a. I have done this since dx. Isabella does not wake for her lows since she does not feel them until it's almost too late. She is also young, she is growing. Sometimes it seems as if she is always growing! Anyway, I have checked her at 10:30p and had a GREAT number only to check again at the 1:30a time and found her through the roof!! :eek::confused: Most times it has nothing to do with food or activity level. It's just plain growth hormones. For these reasons alone ~ not being able to determine when the hormones are going to kick in, and not feeling her lows ~ is why I test every night! We have a CGM and most nights I just look at the CGM number and go back to bed. If it looks like I need to do some sort of correction, then I may test by meter to determine how bad it is and then treat.

The funny thing is I have been out of town for business and the dh stayed with the children. I thought I would have a few nights of good sleep. I was completely wrong! I still woke up when I would have been testing! :o

WendyTT
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I never tested at night when we did MDI but once we started pumping and we had to do the 3am night checks for awhile, I would catch lows and now I just can't not check. It does make me wonder if all those months when I didn't check, did she go low and we just didn't catch it? So we now check every single night and I'd say once every two weeks she will be low when we check for no obvious reason. Every child is different, of course, but Lindsay almost always has that low hours and hours after heavy exercise so anytime where she went for a long, long hike that day or swam for several hours we will catch her low during the night. Just a tip if you don't feel like you need to check every single night--keep in mind their activity level that day. Good luck and don't feel like a bad parent for not checking!

Christopher
02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I check at night, every night, for the same reason I check during the day, to try and catch lows/highs before they get bad. A lot can happen in the 10 hours they are sleeping. I would not go 5 or 8 or 10 hours without checking during the day. Yes the daytime variables (exercise, food, etc) are not there at night but that doesn't mean things are not going on inside the body.

Unless you use a CGM, you can't really be sure what is hapening unless you check. Also, numbers can deceive you. A child could go to bed at 150 and wake up at 100 and you might think, great they slowly came down. But in fact it is possible that they started at 150 gradually went up to 200, then a few hours later went up to 280, then started coming back down to 100 by morning. That is somewhat of an extreme example but things like that do happen. So that is why I check. Obviously, that is just my preference and you need to do what YOU think is right for your child and yourself. Me, I will sleep when I am dead ;) And again, don't feel like a bad parent for not checking, each child is different and some may be pretty stable at night.

Good luck :cwds:

seeingspots
02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
We're new to this whole thing ourselves, as our son was just dx over the New Year, but we were confused too about the whole checking at night thing. We were told to just do the 12am and 2am checks for the first week at home, then if things looked good with his pump/numbers we could stop. Because of his young age (10 months at dx), he started straight off on the pump from the beginning, which they told us was more stable for overnights so that is why the checks weren't as necessary. However, I'll admit that for my own peace of mind I did continue checks longer than they said we needed to, and I still usually do an 11pm or midnight one most nights. Plus, if he is lower than 110 at bedtime (and thus the extra 15g), I will get up again at 2am to check. Or, like others said, if there's any adjustments being made to his pump's settings and such.

One problem we've run in to with doing extra checks is running out of test strips. We've already had our endo bump up the rx, but the insurance company gave us a hard time and had to have the dr's sign other forms and such. Seems insane to me that an insurance co. can limit how many strips you can get per month. Obviously our child comes first, but without the insurance each strip is over a $1 a piece... which adds up in today's economy. (Especially with all the other expenses of D and the pump supplies and such.)

Jboudo01
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I test in the night if she has IOB at bedtime and her # isn't where I would like it to be, she's has had a busy day, ate anything high fat (pizza), is sick, in a growth spurt, if we've changed basal/bolus doses or if I happen to be up anyway (bathroom trip:o).

That means I test almost EVERY night. I am used to it now but at first it was SO hard for me.

ditto for me! We test for these same reasons. I'd say we check at night about 4 or 7 nights. Right now we are really learning alot about the combo bolus and that keeps me up depending on when she eats dinner. If your D is waking up at 70, then depending on the time he wakes up, there is a good chance he went lower than that during the night and morning hormone levels (dawn phenomenon) took him back up slightly.

Reese'sMom
02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Wow...this has been eye-opener for me. :eek: Knowing what you all see with the numbers overnight is concerning...I guess it's not necessarily a straight line from 130 at bedtime to 90 in the morning. Thanks for all of the interesting information and points of view.

Christopher
02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
I guess it's not necessarily a straight line from 130 at bedtime to 90 in the morning.

Well, it might be, or it might not be, the only way to know for certain is to.......................check :cwds:

emm142
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I basically don't test at nights. It's one of my weaknesses: I can't wake up to alarms. Although I don't wake up with lows, I tend to rebound pretty easily, and I can tell in the morning after a rebound (general hangover feeling + high number) so I adjust the basal based on that. I DO check periodically, but generally my method of waking myself up involves drinking a couple pints of water before sleeping, so I wake up to use the bathroom. Seriously, alarms don't work. Haha. Anyway, night is a pretty stable time for me for the most part, and my A1C makes sense with my averages, so I'm not too worried. Sometimes I feel bad if I sleep for more than 14 hours, though. (Yes, I do that.)

sariana
02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
She gets 15 carbs at 8 pm snack... and 1 unit Lantus at dinner, so we test her before we go to bed. If she is below 200, then we will wake up later in the evening to check her. From what we have seen in the past, this is a good judge that she will not go low in the course of the night. If I wake up at night as well, I will usually check her to be safe (especially on swim days).

czardoust
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I check Katerina regularly at 11 pm and 2 am every night because T1D doesn't sleep. It doesn't have an off switch. She has seized from sudden unpredictable lows twice at between 1-2 am. She does not wake up when she is low. And then on the other hand is she is having a "high time" where she goes to bed with an impossible I-will-not-go-below-350 BS, I give her Novolog during the night because go figure, she has beginning stages of glaucoma. High BS's being present for long periods tend to destroy circulation. :rolleyes: :( And I figure what ever I can do to keep the devil at bay is worth not having sleep.

MyAngelEmma
02-16-2009, 02:09 PM
High BS's being present for long periods tend to destroy circulation. :rolleyes: :( And I figure what ever I can do to keep the devil at bay is worth not having sleep.

We check Emma every night at Midnight, 3AM and 6AM and in between those times as we feel is needed. We check not just to catch any undetected lows (which, by the way we have caught more than once after a long day of activity) but also to correct those occasional unpredicted highs that need to be brought down before mornong. I really think keeping her BS in a good range during the night has helped with her having such great A1Cs. Although she never wakes up during out night checks, unless of course, we have treat a low, I still wonder if it somehow interferes with her sleep and if she is getting good quality sleep with all the checking. BUT if I didn't check and something were to happen to her during the night I would feel aweful so I just follow my gut and do what I feel is right and that is what each of us has to do when it comes to caring for our D child.

KellyMama
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM

While D doesn't stop at night. The fast acting and some other variables do...That's why some people test and some don't;)

This pretty much sums up our routine. We always test 2 hours after dinner (which is Hanna's bedtime) and again 5 hours after dinner (which is our bedtime). If those numbers are good and there are no extenuating circumstances (heavy exercise, sickness, beach day, pizza dinner etc) we don't test again. Hanna does wake up if she's low most of the time and we have a monitor in her room for her to call out to us which she's only done once in 5 years.

Tigerlilly's mom
02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I check at night - I don't set an alarm, I just check when I wake up. I think over the past 3 years, I may have slept through the night one time. (meaning I didn't check until 4am).

This is what I found by checking at varying times of the night. When on MDI Tyler would go to bed at say 150, then he would go into the high 200's somewhere between 12-2am then would come back down around 4amish. I found that even if I didn't correct the high, he would drop into the low 100's on his own. (which is why I had to be careful with how much I corrected if I was super tired and not sure I would wake up around 4-5 to do another check) So it would appear as though he woke up around the same as he went to bed, when actually he was going quite high in the middle of the night.

Now that he is pumping, I am able to do varying basal rates to prevent those highs and then lows during the night. I still check, because as we all know, there are no guarantees with diabetes, and what works one week may not work the next.

czardoust
02-16-2009, 04:52 PM
and what works one week may not work the next.

see that is what I hate the worst about D. :(

dqmomof3
02-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Jayden does late night exercise three nights a week, not finishing until 8pm, so I check in the middle of all those nights. Then, anytime she goes to bed high, I check.

When she wakes up high, we have a terrible time trying to get her in range and keep her there for hours the next day. Not worth it!

sugarmonkey
02-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I test Phillip a couple of times a night usually.
When he was on MDI it was because he'd spike really high during the night and we couldn't seem to stop that.
On the pump he often goes low at night. Especially when he's had school or done his paper run that day.
I've tried not checking every night, haven't set my alarm, but I still wake up and end up checking because I can't get back to sleep. I've caught a few wierd lows when I've done this.
And when Phillips at his dads I still wake up at the same times!:rolleyes:

alismom
02-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I wake up at night (no alarm) to check Allison. She has practice in the evening and I like to make sure she is not dropping. I usually just check her cgms and only do a fingerstick if that number seems off.

CButler
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
I like to do a few checks at key times during the night. I will do one about three hours after the last dose of fast-acting to see if it did what I expected. Then I have to do one later 3 or 4 AM when she starts to drop, and then again when I wake up. Now, that's a NORMAL night. If the numbers were bad, then I may be up a lot more. Please tell me it gets easier-maybe when she's 21?????

We need a yawning smiley to put here.

Wendyb
02-16-2009, 09:04 PM
This is a great question and something I, too, struggled with. I actually asked my ped endo if I was a bad parent for not checking. He laughed and said no. Then he went on to explain the two or three circumstances that warrant a night test---lots of exercise that day, big correction at bedtime, sickness, and it you are the type of parent that cannot sleep unless a test is done. Eventually, what I ended up doing was checking him before I went to bed. That was a good guide for how to proceed. If I corrected him, I would sometimes get back up two hours later and check again. With the CGM I just calibrate before I go to bed. Alarms do the rest. I make no judgements either way. I think it is a sensitive issue. At one point it made my husband sad because he stated that even in Alex's sleep we were still pricking him---like he never got a break. Ahhh diabetes.

2type1s
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I test my youngest almost every night. There is no rhyme or reason to her numbers. Our rule has always been (for 10 years!!!) below 100, check ...above 200, check. So...if you do the math, 2 kids with diabetes...how often do you think that happens? Honestly, with my oldest, I only check her when her numbers are off, or she is sick (which is 2 times per week for off numbers). She is really good about checking and has recently started setting her own alarms!! (Doesn't always wake up...but getting better). With Zoe, she has unexplained highs and lows that make no sense, and she literally drops 100's in a short amounts of time, so I have no choice but to check her often. Sometime 2-3 times a night. Sometimes only once. so...long story short...even in my own family YDMV~!!!!

hawkeyegirl
02-16-2009, 10:10 PM
When we first started out, we didn't test at night unless there was something weird going on. When we started on the pump, the endo had us testing at night, and we just stuck with it. Now that we have the CGM I can see what happens at night, and I'll tell you...if we ever had to go without it, there's no WAY I wouldn't test every night (and probably multiple times a night.) He will occasionally have random lows for no reason at night. Once you see that happening on the CGM you realize that probably those times we weren't checking, he was likely going low on occasion, and we just didn't catch it.

So now, I check when I go to bed, and then I generally rely on the CGM. But if we didn't have the CGM, I would probably check when I go to bed, again at 2, and then again at 4-5.

saxmaniac
02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Alex barely stirs if we poke him when asleep, and he doesn't feel any lows or highs, so we do check. He could be 40 or 400 and perfectly peaceful. We ease up on night checks if it's been a good few days, but honestly, that's rare.

Basically, once we started doing random late night checks, it caught a bunch of unexpected highs and lows, so now we always do it. To this day... it still catches a lot of highs and lows.

Connie(BC)Type 1
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
I never test at night! I need my sleep!

Jacob'sDad
02-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Jacob's numbers can be very erratic at night. If they weren't I would worry so much about checking him. As it is we try to check around 12:00, 2:30, 5:00.

Why do we do it? I know the risk is small but the true blunt answer is that I'm afraid he might die if we don't.

Tigerlilly's mom
02-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Why do we do it? I know the risk is small but the true blunt answer is that I'm afraid he might die if we don't.

YUP - that's how I feel. Besides, sleep is highly over-rated;). I can catch up on my sleep when he goes to college.

Darryl
02-16-2009, 11:25 PM
In our first year after dx, our daughter's BG would remain stable overnight (we use a CGM, and the alarms would seldom go off during the night with her target range set to between 80 and 100). However, there were some nights when BG went far out of range, and we were thankful that we knew about it.

Since then, there is rarely a night when BG stays in range without several adjustments. We check, in a sense, every 5 minutes using the CGM, and if we didn't have the CGM I'd need to check her every hour to keep her in a safe range. During any given night, her basal may vary from 0.25u/hour to as high as 2u/hour, and the timing varies each night.

Lastly, don't assume that if the child goes to bed and wakes up at the same BG, that what happens inbetween doesn't matter! As was said above, night time is just as important as day time.

Jacque471
02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Jacob's numbers can be very erratic at night. If they weren't I would worry so much about checking him. As it is we try to check around 12:00, 2:30, 5:00.

This basically sums us up. We have found many lows (and highs) but the lows can be scary. We have caught lows as low as 35 at night and there is just no rhyme or reason at times. Even the slightest 1/4 unit correction can drop him 100+ points at times or not do anything other times.

We are really afraid for his life and therefore he is checked every 2-3 hours depending on how his numbers have been running during previous checks. The most he has gone between checks is about 5 hours and that is when he is running borderline high and we are just too exhausted to get up and check again.

2ladybugs
02-17-2009, 12:11 AM
YUP - that's how I feel. Besides, sleep is highly over-rated;). I can catch up on my sleep when he goes to college.

That's what naps are for!! ;)

They re-energize me for the remainder of the day. I stay up until about 11p every night, then the check(s), and then up by 5:30a for the start of the day.

BozziesMom
02-17-2009, 12:40 AM
I check every night between 2 and 3. And my word, last night he was at 95... 45 minutes later at 60. I gave 10 gr carbs. He came up to 108. An hour and half later he was 60. Gave 15 gr carbs. Got up just over 100. Needless to say I lowered the Lantus today.

But at 2-3 am I never know what to expect. I might see a 50. I might see a 350. Either of which need attention. I'd say 3 out of 7 nights per week there's some middle of the night surprise that needs to be addressed. :rolleyes:

So because he's so like that - I do check every single night.

We also check around midnight, that 2:30ish, and 5 am. I don't go more than 3-4 hours in any 24 hour period.

wilf
02-17-2009, 02:01 AM
I think the answer from our end is that we test at night as often as needed. :)

During DD's honeymoon (which for us was a very easy and predictable time), all we had to do was get her BG under 200 and she'd wake in the morning in the 70-100 range with no further effort needed on our part and with no chance of lows. At that time we tested nightly once every week or two, just to make sure we weren't missing anything.

Currently as we grapple with puberty (which for us is a very challenging and unpredictable time), we are testing at least 2 times most nights.

We test at night (and correct highs or treat lows as needed) to optimize the management of DD's diabetes. It's a bit easier to manage the D at night because there's no carbs coming in that need boluses to cover. The night (at 8-9 hours) is a huge chunk of time - 1/3 or more out of each day. If we get that right, then it helps compensate for some uneven days..:rolleyes:

hawkeyegirl
02-17-2009, 10:24 AM
We test at night (and correct highs or treat lows as needed) to optimize the management of DD's diabetes. It's a bit easier to manage the D at night because there's no carbs coming in that need boluses to cover. The night (at 8-9 hours) is a huge chunk of time - 1/3 or more out of each day. If we get that right, then it helps compensate for some uneven days..:rolleyes:

This is another reason we test at night. (Or monitor the CGM closely now.) Nighttime is the easiest time to have good numbers. A few tweaks here and there, and we can have him running below 120 on most nights. That is a huge part of his a1C and makes up for those nutty days!

aidensmom
02-17-2009, 10:40 AM
We check at 3 AM every night.

lil'Man'sMom
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
We check at night too.

Last nights example : At 10:30 Bg 133 3 hours after last Novolog injection. 3:30am Bg 300, correction. 5:30am Bg 198. 7:30am Bg 159.

If I did not check and correct he would have woke up in the high 200's even into the 300's which would make the day harder to control.

kyleesmom
02-17-2009, 11:54 AM
We were told the same thing as you were when Kylee was discharged, so we stopped doing late night checks. I was a little concerned about not checking all night, but figured the doctors knew what they were talking about, so I let it go. Then we had a stretch where she was low at night a lot about a month after diagnosis and I checked her about every 2 hours anyway. After we got her leveled out again, I continued to do at least one late night check. Im usually up very late anyway, so I check before I go to bed. It helps me sleep better too:) Ive never found a low at one of the late night checks. Shes been low, but was already low at the previous check.

Mama2H
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
We were told at the hospital that we did not need to continue night checks once we went home :eek: I did not listen and continued to check because Hailey ALWAYS has unstable numbers. If the cgms is on 100% then I do not set an alarm but if it is off or towards the end of it's life then I get up at 3 am (I always do a finger poke before I go to bed at midnight) Before the cgms we checked every single night midnight, 3 am, and 5:30 am and the number was almost ALWAYS a surprise. Hailey has never EVER woken from a low or a HI so IMHO I need to do this to keep her alive and healthy. 8-10 hours is a long time, I would NEVER allow Hailey to forget to check that long during the day therefore it is my JOB to make sure to continue to keep her safe at night. Hailey never sturs during checks and they don't seem to bother her so I will continue to check her (either blood or cgms) until the day she is on her own.

As for the PP question about strips, IMHO it is worth fighting your insurance on this! We have our endo right a script for 400 strips a month, the insurance balked and I let em have it over the phone and then let our endo contact them about it. Most insurance companies are used to Type 2's that only test 2 times a week (like my FIL :mad: ) or Type 1's that don't care that only test once a day... (my BIL :mad: )

sammysmom
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I do think that we all need to remember that whatever reasoning one person has for doing night checks does not mean that others are wrong for not doing them. Some children's bg's just naturally fluctuate more than others at night. Honeymoon or not. As long as doing the night checks, or NOT doing the night checks is working for your family than I believe that is the "right" choice.

As I said, we are at the point of doing night checks "infrequently" and that is working for us. His last a1c was great so as of now we will continue with "rare" night checks. Once things start to go a bit wacky, which I know they will, then we will return to the "frequent" night checks.

It is all very individual.

mom2two
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
When we came home from the hospital after dx, the endo instructed us to do 2 am bg checks for 2 or 3 more days. So that is all we did, I haven't checked in the middle of the night since then. But I've seen that many of you do this somewhat regularly.

Reese goes to bed between 120 and 140 and he wakes up between 70 and 95. Only once did he wake up below 70 and that was after being sick. I am assuming these numbers wouldn't prompt a middle of the night check, but I am wondering what numbers would. Thanks!

We check 4 hrs after dinner to make sure I:C ratio is still right on and make sure he is good, thats usually at 930pm, then again before we go to bed, (12midnight), then at 3am, if 3am is at a comfortable # for me to sleep(150-180) I don't check again until he gets up around 7am. I find checking in the middle of the night keeps me in the loop as to what his body is doing. I also never know when that lovely growth hormone is going to kick in at 3am with a 300... Sounds like what you are doing is working for you, that is GREAT!

hrtmom3
02-17-2009, 04:58 PM
I only check Tim during the night if for any reason (which could be a number of them) I think he might or could go low or on basal testing nights. Night time checks over here are getting fewer and fewer. (I am knocking on wood, for I no sooner say that, and something will happen to change it!)

zell828
02-17-2009, 05:29 PM

9 out of 10 endos will tell you not to check so often at night. Ours did, I don't listen. We check each and every night. It's what we are comfortable with. Sometimes I check twice a night, especially if I have to correct the first time or if there was more exercise during the day. It isn't just about catching lows, but also highs to correct down. There have been many instances I caught during the night. Movie theater popcorn threw SD into the 300's one night. There was a kink in her pump line one night. I just am not comfortable not checking. That's just me.

linda
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
We check Emma every night at Midnight, 3AM and 6AM and in between those times as we feel is needed. We check not just to catch any undetected lows (which, by the way we have caught more than once after a long day of activity) but also to correct those occasional unpredicted highs that need to be brought down before mornong. I really think keeping her BS in a good range during the night has helped with her having such great A1Cs. Although she never wakes up during out night checks, unless of course, we have treat a low, I still wonder if it somehow interferes with her sleep and if she is getting good quality sleep with all the checking. BUT if I didn't check and something were to happen to her during the night I would feel aweful so I just follow my gut and do what I feel is right and that is what each of us has to do when it comes to caring for our D child.

Great note about A1c's--I beleive this is why out of all Ems Camp teen friends she has the lowest, IF there is an issue at night you have the oppurtunity to fix...but our problems are lows...Em did have 1 seizure while MDI....(None since pump)...but we CAN NOT sleep through night without checking (I wake auto matic but thankfully if I dont DH wakes me)