PDA

View Full Version : tricks for getting kids to take injections on legs and bottom

hannahceri
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Hi there everyone,

My daughter, Leah, age 5, (dx'd in November) is still only letting us inject her in her arms. Do you have any tricks for getting her to accept stomach-legs-butt??

we're about to test CGMS...so I'm worried too about how I get her to accept that too...she wants a CGMS..but doesn't want jabs..hum..

Thanks
Hannah

betty6333
01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
At the beginning we bribed.... I know it is "bad" but it worked, and now he requests different spots without any worries.

CGM- use the ELMA cream before & it will be ok

RosemaryCinNJ
01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Amanda HATES the injection in her thighs..I am reading along too but now I have ANOTHER reason to mention to endo to get my little one on a pump! Amanda prefers her arms and the butt (Lantus)..and thats it! Im sorry I couldnt be more helpful..

mapoe4
01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I had the hardest time with John doing anything but his arms until his endo talked to him (sometimes they do do good things) She made it out to be that he would get the biggest hug before I give him his shots. I actually have to kiss my hand and pat him on the bum then I have to hug his bum before he will take a shot. I so this with my hand only that is just one place I will not kiss. Now I have a hard time getting him to let me give his shots anywhere else unless we are in public then he does his arm. Bribery works. I wish I could get him to do his thighs.

samheis
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
go to youtube and find videos of kids doing insulin injections. sam watched a little girl do one in her belly, and finally let us try it. and he hates trying new things!

Denise
01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Well for Molly..the endo ended up telling her she HAD to stop using her arms (her fave place) b/c she was getting puffy arms. She was forced to rotate her locations more. If your child is more willing NOW to rotate, it'll prevent them from being banned from using the favorite location!

Becky Stevens mom
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Steven would only let us use his butt for a long time. We finally got him to let us use legs and arms. I make sure I have an ice pack ready to put right on if it hurts at all. I also poked myself in the thighs and arms to show him it was ok.

Alexa's Mommy
01-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Our 19 month old was diagnosed in Nov. She has to get 2 injections at night before dinner...one in each thigh...she is so young to understand...but at first she didn't like it (DUH!!) I always had her meal calculated out and ready to go so that right after her injections she would get to eat...What I do (not for much longer because our pump is coming Tuesday!) is let her pick what she wanted to eat first after getting her injections...it was all carb counted so it really didn't matter in what order she ate it....It has worked great...she gets her injections like a big girl...doesn't even flinch, then points to what "part" of her dinner she wants to eat first!!

lynn
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Nathan was only two but he still hated shots in his legs. I just told him he had to. That the doctor said and we made a big circle (left arm, left butt, left leg, right leg, right butt, right arm, etc.).

Being that your daughter is older she may do well with a reward. Maybe make a deal that after a week of rotating well then she can have some reward. We have gone through periods of needing to give Nathan rewards. Diabetes sucks and our kids have to do so much that nobody else has to. I think sometimes they deserve something extra for the things that are extra hard for them.

I hope you find a way to make it work peacefully.

allisa
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
It can be so hard to get them to venture off arms, isn't it ?

I had my endo help out by making it an order to rotate...this way....the pressure and blame came off me....kids find it harder to "defy" a doctor than mom......

and at the same time...she gave us great tips for the other areas....

Tummy....don't lay flat !! Have child sitting and leaning slightly forward to help form a "roll" on tummy....ya....wish my "rolls" looked like that !!

Butt......don't do it right on the bottom where child will later be sitting....any "contact" place may hurt later as pressure is applied ( ie when you sit on the injection site it may hurt more) do it higher on the butt, where the child will not be sitting on it.

legs....are a great place....lots of area to cover....again....think "no contact"....outsides of legs.....

Best of luck !! to both of you.....

Jacque471
01-01-2009, 11:43 PM
When we were in the hospital we were only allowed to inject in his legs. So when we got home that was the only place we knew to do. He hated it, but there were 2 of us so we could hold him down. Yeah, good times.

As we got more comfortable, I started doing his arms when I was alone with him since I could get a grip and hold him if necessary or do it while he was in his high chair. Once I went back to work and DH was on his own, he said he told Logan to lay down for his shot and he was able to give it in his thigh. Little stinker.

Now, there are often times where I am preparing to give him a shot in the arm and he insists on getting it in his leg instead. Like earlier, he was whining so I didn't really understand what he was saying until after I gave him a shot in the arm. Then he was tugging on his leg, so I had to apologize to him and told him we would do his leg next time.

Good luck. We have progressed from running and hiding at shot time to just laying down or sitting there and taking it in just a couple of months (or less really) so I am so very proud of my big (little) boy.

manwkids
01-02-2009, 07:02 PM
watching the You Tube Videos really helped us with insert sites for the pump. Thanks to everyone who has uploaded those.

wenlefeb
01-02-2009, 07:11 PM
In the hospital they told us to do the Arms for breakfast legs for dinner and butt for bedtime. We have just stuck with that and he doesn't question it.

We had our second endo appointment last Monday, we had the endo dr. and nurse in stiches, laughing, because Ethan said he most preferred shots in the butt. The dr. was surprised and I said "WELL, it's only cause he likes to moon his brother!". :D Whatever works!

Judy&Alli
01-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Webkins, works like a charm in our house:D

hannahceri
01-02-2009, 08:47 PM
wow thanks so much for all these great tips....!

Ok, will try them all, and report back!!

xHannah

frizzyrazzy
01-02-2009, 09:01 PM
good luck! bribery worked in our house too. We did "10 shots somewhere other than arms" and you get a small prize (and it was a small prize..a deck of cards, matchbox cars etc - I wasn't going to go broke) . Actually, at first, the only place he liked was thighs - the he discovered arms and wouldn't let me touch his thighs again. We never ever went back to thighs LOL. But butt came next - our tip was make him stand up and I'd pull his pants down just enough to have it push up some fat and I"d inject right near the top of his butt..never lower. Stomach was the very last place he allowed.

We also enlisted the endo to gently speak about rotation. And honestly, I used the endo as part of my bribery "Dr N SAYS you have to do this"