PDA

View Full Version : Splenda (Sucralose) Reveals Potential Harmful Effect on Humans -

momandwifeoftype1s
12-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Splenda (Sucralose) Reveals Potential Harmful Effect on Humans -

Splenda reduces the amount of good bacteria (probiotics) in the
intestines by 50%, increases the pH level in the intestines, AND
contributes to increased body weight

MINNEAPOLIS, Sept. 22, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- James Turner, chairman
of the national consumer education group Citizens for Health expressed
shock and outrage after reading a new report from scientists at Duke
University. "The report makes it clear that the artificial sweetener
Splenda and its key component sucralose pose a threat to the people who
consume the product. Hundreds of consumers have complained to us about
side effects from using Splenda and this study, published in October in
the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A, confirms that
the chemicals in the little yellow package should carry a big red
warning label," said Turner.

Among the results in the study by Drs. Mohamed B. Abou-Donia, Eman M.
El-Masry, Ali A. Abdel-Rahman, Roger E. McLendon and Susan S. Schiffman
is evidence that, in the animals studied, Splenda reduces the amount of
good bacteria in the intestines by 50%, increases the pH level in the
intestines, contributes to increases in body weight and affects the
P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial
health-related drugs could be rejected. Turner noted that the P-gp
effect "could result in crucial medications used in chemotherapy for
cancer patients, AIDS treatment and drugs for heart conditions being
shunted back into the intestines rather than being absorbed by the body
as intended."

The study was conducted using male rats over a period of 12 weeks. The
manufacturers of Splenda also used a rat study when they applied for and
received approval to market the product from the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration. At the time, the findings from their rat studies were
extrapolated as to possible effects on humans. This is standard FDA
practice and this study is consistent with that practice.

Turner said, "This report followed accepted policies and procedures and
the results make clear the potential for disturbing side effects from
the ingestion of Splenda. It is like putting a pesticide in your body.
And this is at levels of intake erroneously approved by the Food and
Drug Administration. A person eating two slices of cake and drinking two
cups of coffee containing Splenda would ingest enough sucralose to
affect the P-glycoprotein, while consuming just seven little Splenda
packages reduces good bacteria." Although the effect of consuming
Splenda does not result from a one time use, the side effects do occur
after accumulated use. Turner also noted unmistakable evidence that
Splenda is absorbed by fat, contrary to the claims of Johnson & Johnson.

Turner announced, "We are calling today on the FDA to immediately accept
our petition filed over a year ago and initiate a review of its approval
of sucralose and to require a warning label on Splenda packaging
cautioning that people who take medications and/or have gastrointestinal
problems avoid using Splenda. The new study makes it clear that Splenda
can cause you to gain weight and lose the benefits of medications
designed to improve and protect your health. The FDA should not continue
to turn a blind eye to this health threat."

Hollyb
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
oh great. the one artificial sweetener that tastes half-decent!

danismom79
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Citizens for Health never really sat right with me.

I'll see if I can find that article when I go to work tomorrow.

ETA: Here's the abstract of the study, if anyone's interested:

Splenda Alters Gut Microflora and Increases Intestinal P-Glycoprotein and Cytochrome P-450 in Male Rats
Authors: Mohamed B. Abou-Donia; Eman M. El-Masry; Ali A. Abdel-Rahman; Roger E. McLendon; Susan S. Schiffman

Splenda is comprised of the high-potency artificial sweetener sucralose (1.1%) and the fillers maltodextrin and glucose. Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH. After 12-wk, half of the animals from each treatment group were sacrificed to determine the intestinal expression of the membrane efflux transporter P-glycoprotein (P-gp) and the cytochrome P-450 (CYP) metabolism system by Western blot. The remaining animals were allowed to recover for an additional 12-wk, and further assessments of fecal microflora, fecal pH, and expression of P-gp and CYP were determined. At the end of the 12-wk treatment period, the numbers of total anaerobes, bifidobacteria, lactobacilli, Bacteroides, clostridia, and total aerobic bacteria were significantly decreased; however, there was no significant treatment effect on enterobacteria. Splenda also increased fecal pH and enhanced the expression of P-gp by 2.43-fold, CYP3A4 by 2.51-fold, and CYP2D1 by 3.49-fold. Following the 12-wk recovery period, only the total anaerobes and bifidobacteria remained significantly depressed, whereas pH values, P-gp, and CYP3A4 and CYP2D1 remained elevated. These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Evidence indicates that a 12-wk administration of Splenda exerted numerous adverse effects, including (1) reduction in beneficial fecal microflora, (2) increased fecal pH, and (3) enhanced expression levels of P-gp, CYP3A4, and CYP2D1, which are known to limit the bioavailability of orally administered drugs.

shirley83006
12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
i was concerned about that stuff. You have to think that anything artificial can not be good for you. This may explain why my daughter has been having alittle trouble with acid reflux. and i learned that if she was to take probiotics and improve her intestines (her digestion) it would improve a great deal. Here i have been giving her that and in turn the splenda has been sucking it out of her. i am glad that i have not been giving it to her as much lately. Now i will cut it out completely. Thanks for the info. I guess natural honey or maybe stevia which i will have to check out too. Natural sweeteners.

Heather(CA)
12-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Seriously, with all of the stinking Technology we have...Can't SOMEBODY come up with an artificial sweetener that isn't bad for our kids:mad: This is why I rarely give Seth anything diet (Just the occasional soda) :rolleyes:

Karenwith4
12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Citizens for Health never really sat right with me.

[/I]

Did they sponsor the study?

We don't use Splenda or other artificial sweetners like that. I really doubt their safety.

Karen

danismom79
12-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Did they sponsor the study?

We don't use Splenda or other artificial sweetners like that. I really doubt their safety.

Karen

Not as far as I know. Maybe my personal experience with a few nutcases is coloring my view of them, but they were very in-your-face with scare tactics. I'm not trying to invalidate the study at all, but whenever CFH is mentioned, my brain shuts down a little. That's why I prefer to read the original study.

momandwifeoftype1s
12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
I can't understand the original study that you posted (my brain is numb from trying). What is your take after you read the two versions? Valid concern or not?

danismom79
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't understand the original study that you posted (my brain is numb from trying). What is your take after you read the two versions? Valid concern or not?

Just from reading the abstract, it looks pretty bad. Admittedly, I don't know much about gut flora. But what it looks like they found was that Splenda reduced good bacteria, but didn't affect potentially harmful bacteria. Increased fecal pH can be a risk factor for colorectal cancer. I don't know what all that stuff with the letters and numbers is. And I don't know how the amounts they gave the rats would correspond to human consumption.

I really would rather see the actual study though. One thing that jumps out at me is that they singled out sucralose: These changes occurred at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Are they claiming that the sucralose in the Splenda is the problem, or Splenda as a whole?

I'd also like to see if they have baseline data before administering the Splenda. And is there a control group?

momandwifeoftype1s
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Are you going to look this up tomorrow at work?

danismom79
12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Are you going to look this up tomorrow at work?

I'm going to try. I work at an enviromental consulting firm, and we have a number of toxicology-related journals. I'm not sure if this is one of them.

momandwifeoftype1s
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Of course, I just baked a batch of pumpkin blueberry muffins sweetened with Splenda this afternoon. Figures.