PDA

View Full Version : All those test strip container

Cabins Crue
11-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Hello-- We use a one-touch ultalink.. and I hate to think of all those test strip containers in our landfills. What do you do with them? I have a zip lock bag full of them.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MyAngelEmma
11-08-2008, 11:55 AM
We give ours to Emma's class to use for crafts. The last project I know they used them for was to make "noise makers" for the pep rallies. They added pebbles or rice or something and decorated the outside of the canisters and voila...instant shakers for the pep rallies! Teacher says the kids love them!

Ellen
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
You raise an excellent point. Is there a recycle # in a triangle on the bottom? If not, perhaps we as parents can start to ask the manufacturers to put the strips in recyclable containers.

Not sure how up to date this is:

http://www.obviously.com/recycle/guides/plastic8.gif (http://www.obviously.com/recycle/guides/cryptic.html) "Virtually everything made of plastic should be marked with a code. Not all types can actually be recycled. Types 1 and 2 are widely accepted in container form, and type 4 is sometimes accepted in bag form. Code 7 is for mixed or layered plastic with virtually no recycling potential. You should place in your bin only those types of plastic listed by your local recycling agency! Due to fluxuating market conditions, some colors or shapes may be useless to the recycling agency. "

timnshann
11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
hmmm, great question. We use ours for crafts too. My kids are little packrats as it is so they find uses for all kinds of random things:)

momandwifeoftype1s
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
The One Touch Ultra strips container has a black top that looks like a policeman's hat or a person with a cap. If you cover the long part of the container with painter's tape or masking tape, it looks like a little person. Your child can decorate the face and body to make little action figures. Connor lines them up for battles.

Schleprock
11-08-2008, 12:59 PM
If you cover the long part of the container with painter's tape or masking tape, it looks like a little person. Your child can decorate the face and body to make little action figures. Connor lines them up for battles.

That is a pretty neat idea ;) Thanks for sharing.

Connie(BC)Type 1
11-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Hello-- We use a one-touch ultalink.. and I hate to think of all those test strip containers in our landfills. What do you do with them? I have a zip lock bag full of them.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I put them in the plastics recycling bin for garbage pick up day

XMumofType1aged8X
11-08-2008, 01:13 PM
We put ours in the recycling too!

fredntan2
11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
this reminds me of this. Its insulin bottles reused as hummingbird feeders.
LOL who has time to refill these things several times day!!
cute htough

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/PuddyPrintWasHere/IB%20Feeders/IBHF-e2.jpg

Rusty
11-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow, very cool picture.

fredntan2
11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Thats no my garden,
mine is more like this-still not my garden
http://readingeagle.com/BlogUploads/88/weed%20bank%202.jpg

Cabins Crue
11-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the great response... The container does not have a number for recycling.. and if you put them in your recycling bin and they dont take them they just put them in the trash next to the bin:confused: I will ask my son's teacher is she needs some.. keep the suggestions coming

Tweety8
11-08-2008, 10:39 PM
We recycle them too, along with the inset plastic thing... I just pull out the needle with scissors after I do a site change and throw that with the cover in my recycle bin too. I was actually wondering if there was a craft project to use those in because the blue and the pink colors are kinda cool.

MLH
11-09-2008, 06:23 AM
I use mine to put fish food in! The rest I end up throwing away.:(

Java
11-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Picture is so cute. Great idea and the kids would love to watch the birds.

Skyefire
11-09-2008, 09:58 AM
My mom is into crafting and sewing so she uses her to help keep her sewing box neat, needles, small beads, sequins etc... then she also uses one for extra pills in her purse (labeled of course)

Maybe contact a local girl guides or brownies group and see if they can use them

Wendyb
11-09-2008, 01:22 PM
One thing I was told from the strip company was that they put a preservative onto the inside lining of the can to keep the strips fresh. I'm not sure of the chemicals that make up the lining, but I have thrown mine straight in the trash since hearing that. I was told this when I mentioned to the helpline that I was mixing same lot numbers together into one can to cut down on the number of bottles. They told me to stop doing this because they put just enough preservative into the can for 25 strips---and if I put 50 in (which I was doing) the preservative isn't adequate. Another lesson learned.

Daxdog
11-09-2008, 01:29 PM
One thing I was told from the strip company was that they put a preservative onto the inside lining of the can to keep the strips fresh. I'm not sure of the chemicals that make up the lining, but I have thrown mine straight in the trash since hearing that. I was told this when I mentioned to the helpline that I was mixing same lot numbers together into one can to cut down on the number of bottles. They told me to stop doing this because they put just enough preservative into the can for 25 strips---and if I put 50 in (which I was doing) the preservative isn't adequate. Another lesson learned.
Ah. That is why the bottle says "Do not store test strips outside the vial."

frizzyrazzy
11-10-2008, 08:49 AM
The One Touch Ultra strips container has a black top that looks like a policeman's hat or a person with a cap. If you cover the long part of the container with painter's tape or masking tape, it looks like a little person. Your child can decorate the face and body to make little action figures. Connor lines them up for battles.
Ian does this too.

momandwifeoftype1s
11-10-2008, 09:36 AM
That's funny! Our kids are so creative (or really, really bored!).

Andrelaplume
11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
we use some to carry around a 15 carb dose of skittles.

Rusty
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
London like to play with those containers. He opens and closes them and tries to put all kinds of things into them. Funny how simple things like a container can be entertaining for him.

momandwifeoftype1s
11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Another thing you can do with the containers is use them as mini glitter shakers. Tap a few holes in the top with a hammer and nail, and fill them with glitter. Snap the tap back on, and you have a child-sized glitter shaker. They can only shake a little glitter on their paper at a time, so you don't get as big of a mess. If you shake the glitter over a jelly roll pan, you can pour unused glitter back into the container after the craft.

Also, you can make a guess the scent game. Make one hole in the top of the strip container with the hammer and nail. Dab some vanilla extract, peppermint extract, or other scents onto a cotton ball. Put the cotton ball in the container and snap closed. You could also put stick cinnamon, star anise, or other whole spices in the containers. Give your child a tray of containers to smell one at a time. Have them select their favorite and least favorite scents. You'd be amazed how long this activity can keep your toddler/preschooler sitting still.