PDA

View Full Version : Make a Wish?

Missouri Mom
11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
I was just talking to a neighbor and her son was granted a "wish" last year because he has a heart condition. He wished to meet Winnie the Pooh, so they granted him a trip to Disney World.

She strongly suggested I contact them. She said Morgan would be eligible due to her diabetes.

Anyone else out there heard of a diabetic child being granted a wish?

Thanks!

Momof4gr8kids
11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Not without bad complications that are life threatening, and more then likely life ending.

Ok I was wrong, if dibaetes is life threatening, and your doctor will sign a form saying so in most cases you can get the make a wish.
http://www.acor.org/ped-onc/cfissues/maw.html

Beach bum
11-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Here is how Make-a-Wish catagorizes a need:

Step 2: Medical eligibility
We determine a child’s medical eligibility with the help of the treating physician. To receive a wish, the child must be diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition – i.e., a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition that has placed the child’s life in jeopardy.

From the Make-a-Wish website: http://www.wish.org/about/how_we_grant_wishes

I would say that most likely, diabetes doesn't qualify, unless the childs life was in danger.

selketine
11-27-2006, 07:52 PM
A child has to have a life threatening medical condition to qualify for MAW. My sense is that type 1 wouldn't qualify but I don't know for sure. I am a long time member of a online Disneyworld trip planning bulletin board site (and I often check the disabilities board there to help folks with posts on diabetes or food allergies). Many folks on there take MAW trips and I've never seen one done for diabetes....usually the illness or disability is much more serious.

I think the child's doctor has to participate in the process so you could talk to them about it.

Missouri Mom
11-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Thanks Carol.

I think I know the board your speaking of.

Maybe I'll check there:confused:

Not sure what to do....

selketine
11-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Heh - I think I'd write directly to the board admin there (if the Disboards - Sue is the one I'd write to on the disAbilities board) and ask her about it directly.

Or contact your local MAW. Every MAW is a bit different but my guess is that they'd consider the condition to be not life threatening with care and treatment under most circumstances.

If you're thinking of WDW I do highly recommend it - feel free to PM me if you're thinking of a trip. You know that CWD holds its annual Friends for Life conference there sometimes - including the upcoming one in July 2007?:cool:

Missouri Mom
11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Yep, I just read about that the other day.

We've been to wdw three times, not sure what she would pick....

I just wasnt sure if diabetic kids qualified, even though diabetes can be life threatening, if tightly controlled most kids do well, including my daughter.

I love disboards by the way.....I learned sooo much from them while planning our trips. I'd love to go back to wdw.

I'd love to go anywhere really!

Debbie
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi-
I do have friends in the DFW area whose diabetic son was selected as a Make a Wish recipient. I'm not sure of the process they went through to be selected. They went to Disney World.

Missouri Mom
11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks Debbie.......:)

Cant decide if I should contact my endo in the morning and see if this is something she normally would consent to, before I go through filling out all the paperwork. According to the website, make a wish contacts your md and they have to sign off on the application saying the condition is life threatening.

allisa
11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question......I was about to post a new thread about this.....may do it anyways in case others missed this.....

Ty is having a wish granted !!

It is by Dream Factory....NOT Make a Wish...

http://www.dreamfactoryinc.com/

Dream Factroy focuses on children with a chroinic illness that affects them daily. I had read an article in local paper about 2 years ago about a grandmother in next town who was startigna dream factory. When she was talking about the children they service she specifically mentioned Down syndrome & Diabetes.....well, I have one of each and little means at the moment for granting wishes.

I contacted her for my daughter.....to ask for help in purchasing some gymnastic equipment for her.....look for her in the 2014 Olympics (I'm pretty sure she'll be on the medal podium;) )

Anyways......in telling her about us I mentioned Ty's Diabetes and she asked if HE would like a wish.....I talked to Ty and he wanted " A REAL vacation.....I want to go somewhere warm and sunny while there is a blizzard here at home".....we are leaving for Florida in January !!!

They are wonderful wonderful people.....

They work in conjunction with Give Kids the World....

http://www.gktw.org/

They have paid for 3 kids, 2 adults .....plane tickets, rental van, hotel ( at Give Kids the World), tickets to ALL Disney parks, Sea World, Bush Gardens, Unioversal...Ty is MOST thrilled about his special "BUTTON" that allows him to forgo any lines....

Believe me when I say I am NOT a person accustomed to asking for help or support.....I am a single mom with 2 kids with special needs/ medical issues and I am pretty used to "doing it all myself". I'm usually the one doing the fundraising for others ! But to see my kids so happy and having something to LOOK forward to is amazing. And God knows my TY deserves his "real vaacation", becuase he NEVER gets a vacation from Diabetes !

allisa
11-28-2006, 08:42 PM
ps...I looked real quick and there seem to be THREE Dream factories in MO....you should be in pretty good luck !!

Mama2H
11-28-2006, 09:43 PM
That is sooo awsome! You all will never forget such an awsome experience. We have never been on a vacation (other than camping 2 hours away lol) but I can imagine it would be heavenly! Sadly there is none near us and it appears that you have to have one nearby.

Missouri Mom
11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Oh Allisa....thank you so much for letting me know about this.

Somehow make a wish just didnt seem appropriate for Morgan. I know there are alot of really sick kids out there who could benefit from make a wish.

I am going straight there and I'll pm you and let you know what I find out.

Thanks again.:)

nicolemejia69@hotmail.com
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
hola mi nombre es nazly tengo una nina que desde los nueve meses es diabetica y tiene sindrome de down quisiera saber para aplicar para concederle un deseo para ella, ahora ella tiene siete anos

danismom79
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Someone on this board got a wish for her child. I don't know if she'll pipe up publicly, it got a little heated last time.

MySweethearts
04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I think our children qualify. I hope to one day get a wish granted for Luke, he would so love to go to WDW. I read some time ago that Make a Wish is now considering children w/chronic illnesses.

hawkeyegirl
04-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Um, this thread is over 3 years old. And was resurrected by someone posting entirely in Spanish. Weird.

danismom79
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Um, this thread is over 3 years old. And was resurrected by someone posting entirely in Spanish. Weird.

Oops! :o I have to start looking at dates.

Sarah Maddie's Mom
04-25-2010, 05:41 PM
hola mi nombre es nazly tengo una nina que desde los nueve meses es diabetica y tiene sindrome de down quisiera saber para aplicar para concederle un deseo para ella, ahora ella tiene siete anos

What Google translator says this says

hello my name is Nazly I have a girl who is nine months from diabetic and has Down syndrome would like to know to apply for grant a wish for her, now she has seven years

Becky Stevens mom
04-25-2010, 05:43 PM

HA HA I didnt even notice that at first :D Damn Im tired today. Thanks for pointing that out Karla

giddyup_go
04-25-2010, 06:25 PM
edited out because I didn't see that it was a really old post either. Sorry.

ashley_lynden
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Guess I should read everything before posting...Oops!

buggle
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, I'm glad I got to read it, since I wasn't around in 2006. :) It felt so nice to hear about Allisa's kids getting a wish.

Christopher
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM

AND...it was their very first post....hmmm....double weird....;)