PDA

View Full Version : Ooops...acidentally poked myself w/his insulin pen..

theramosfam
07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Has anyone encountered this? Should I bother to worry?

funnygrl
07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Did you actually deliver any insulin?

TheFormerLantusFiend
07-17-2008, 10:46 PM
There're a number of mentions of parents doing that, including recently in the thread about things that weren't funny at the time. It sounds like they were fine and not hypo.
I'd keep in mind that a pen might keep dripping another sixth of a unit of so after injection (at least mine do) and that in an adult sized person, that will lower blood sugar 1-5 mg/dl, which won't cause any hypoglycemia. I wouldn't worry about it unless you think you got more than a unit of insulin.

buggle
07-17-2008, 10:57 PM
It's a good excuse to have a sweet treat to be safe. ;)

As long as you didn't inject it, I think you'll be fine.

theramosfam
07-17-2008, 11:05 PM
I believe I may have recieved the drip(s)...as it was pre-primed and set for 3 units of insulin....I took it out and replaced the needle....and gave him his bolus.

I feel fine...though. Thanks so much for responding...everyone!

have a nice evening....

Amy C.
07-18-2008, 06:06 AM
I poked myself with the needle on a used Inset. I couldn't donate blood for the next year -- I was a regular blood donor up to that point.

buggle
07-18-2008, 10:14 AM
I did a really stupid thing. A few months ago, I knocked over the sharps container at school. They had opened the lid and emptied it and tried to rig it to hold together, so when I knocked it over, the lid came off and all the contents went flying. I was in a kind of spazzy mood and I quickly picked up all the stuff to put it back and got a good needle stick on someone else's (not my son's) used needle. There's only ever been one other D kid at their school and it was several years ago. The odds of the kid having a disease and the odds of it still being alive on the needle are slim. But, that was sure an idiotic thing for me to do. Argh.

Kaileen
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I did this on Deirdre's birthday. I was getting ready to inject her in the restaurant when a small child bumped her chair. I jabbed myself in the finger. It was a sterile needle, so I changed the needle and gave her the bolus. No side effects, especially since we were getting ready to eat dinner.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was going to give blood, when the question came up, "Have you had an accidental needle stick?" I answered yes. I told the interviewer the situation, and he called it in. Since the needle was sterile, they passed me through to give blood. Then they couldn't find a vein. Denied. Oh, well. :)

CButler
07-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I've accidentally poked myself more than once! Those needles are sharp!

Tigerlilly's mom
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
I have poke myself with Tylers needles on more than one occasion. I used it as an excuse to have a really big snack!!! But I believe I read somewhere that non-diabetics bodies would correct itself it it was given insulin, (or did I dream that after feeling guilty for indulging on the really big snack?

It does hurt too!! I feel so bad that I yell out after poking myself after just sticking it into Tyler and him not making a peep!!!

RosemaryCinNJ
07-21-2008, 06:23 AM
I posted this somewhere when this happened to me! My husband was giving giving Amanda her Lantus and it usually takes 2 of us to distract her because she gets it in the
bum..Im holding her and DH gets me in the knee cap instead of Amanda..I could of killed him! Thank goodness he didnt push the plunger! I couldnt make a big deal of it cause Amanda was right there..but I wanted to go pit bull at that moment. :) we laugh about it now and it hasnt happened ever again...lucky for him! :)

jendean
07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Just drink some juice. :cwds: