PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a tick head out?

momandwifeoftype1s
06-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I pulled off what I thought was a piece of dirt from my younger son's cheek. I had to pick at it to get it off, but it was just a tiny speck. After I took it off, I noticed that the "piece of dirt" had tiny legs - must have actually been a tick. The tiny head is still embedded on Grant's cheek. I can't pull it out without making a little divot in his cheek, and he's really freaking out. Any ideas on how to safely pull out the head? Thank you.

Mama2H
06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
It really sounds like a deer tick, they are much smaller than a regular tick. I would take him to outpatients to get it removed or call your regular doctor to get advice on deer ticks. Be careful with the itty bitty ticks :(

ETA: If you still have it you may want to put it in a baggie. If it is a deer tick they may want to put him on preventative antibiotics

bgallini
06-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree with the PP. I'd go to Patients First or a similar place or at least call them to ask what to do. Can you tell for sure that the head is still in him?

momandwifeoftype1s
06-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Seriously? Argh... No, I didn't save the tick. I didn't know the tiny ones are bad.

What does ETA mean? Can't figure that one out.

Jensmami
06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm not a doctor. But what we used to do with ticks, is to pour some oil on it and then take a tweezer and turn it and slowly pull it out. This was with the whole tick still intact. Even if you can get it out, make sure to go to the doctor and if he gets a high fever in a couple of weeks/month, and you can not explain why, make sure to remember the tick and tell the doctor.

lotsoftots
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I just received an e-mail about how to get one out..never tried it yet, hope not to have to.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the

soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick

will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it

away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that

was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier

for me.

momandwifeoftype1s
06-30-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree with the PP. I'd go to Patients First or a similar place or at least call them to ask what to do. Can you tell for sure that the head is still in him?

He for sure has a little black speck that is embedded in his cheek, and it is not coming loose. I can't see with the naked eye if it actually looks like a head or not - just guessing since the part I did pull off had visible legs. I can't reach it with tweezers. I'm embarrassed to say that he's had it there for a few days. I thought it might come out in the bathtub. Grant screams bloody murder when I come near him with tweezers (he has sensory processing disorder). So - probably doctor for him tomorrow. Darn.

momandwifeoftype1s
06-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Just bribed him with candy, and he let me tackle it again. I pulled the rest of the black bits out (along with a little skin), but it doesn't look bad. I still can't see if it's actually a head or not because it's so tiny. I need a microscope. Do you think I still need to take him to the doctor if I got it all out?

Amy

MamaC
06-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I do believe you should follow up with the doctor and take whatever bits and pieces you have left. If it was a deer tick you shouldn't take any chances. What happens sometimes is that the tweezing acting forces secretions out under the skin...which can lead to Lyme disease. Other ticks carry other diseases.

ETA means "edited to add."

momandwifeoftype1s
06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you very much for your input. Off to the doctor tomorrow. I did save the bits and pieces of the head. I always thought deer ticks are the large spotted ones. Oops.

StillMamamia
07-01-2008, 04:02 AM
Not much to add, except get one of those special tick tweezers (ask the local pharmacy or drugstore or pet-store). They make taking out ticks very easy, even small ones.

Kaileen
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
My son had a tick a couple of months ago. We did end up having to take him to the doctor: he was completely freaked out.

Now we call him Tick Boy. He giggles. :D

OSUMom
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_tickremoval.htm

Super gabe
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I was in the shower after a day of playing rough with my freinds in a feild I found a tick on the side of my stomach. I thought it was dirt and I just smacked it to get the dirt off. It wouldnt move so I looked closer and it had legs... I thought it was a spider so i grabbed him and pulled a lil n my skin started to strech. so i put my towl on and called for mom to bring me the tweasers I pulled it out but the head stayed in... I found that scratching some layers of skin off I was able to grab the head and get some more off! A few months later I was playing with my freinds again and I found another tick on my leg! I found that lighting a match on fire then putting it on the stomach of the ticks works best!!!!! P.S. dont play in tick filled feilds lOL