PDA

View Full Version : Foil wrapped Ketostix

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
I was just told today by my CVS that the manufacturer had discontinued the foil wrapped Ketostix. Does anyone know if it is true? I am going to look into it myself but I wanted to ask here first.

Autumn

Denise
06-26-2008, 10:15 AM
am calling Bayer Diabetes hotline now...will post when I get an answer

am on hold...she's checking for me

Here is what she said...

She said there has been no indication that it will be discontinued anytime soon. I had said I didn't want to get started on a product and have to switch as we were newly dx'd. She said she certainly understood my concern.

mlbertness
06-26-2008, 10:19 AM
are you thinking of the ketostix for blood testing????

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:20 AM
are you thinking of the ketostix for blood testing????

I am talking about the foil wrapped urine ketostix.

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
did you call...........

Denise
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder if it's just CVS that will discontinue carrying them? It's definitely worth asking. The Bayer rep resassured me that it was not being disct'd.

Denise
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
did you call...........

Yes...I posted what she said in the same original post :cwds:

ADHDiabetic Mom
06-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I am talking about the foil wrapped urine ketostix.

Just curious... :confused:

Any particular reason foil-wrapped are better than the ones that just come loose in a bottle? We've always used those without any issues.

Or maybe it's that the foil-wrapped can be carried more easily in fewer quantities in a diabetes kit. Ketones have never been an issue for Sean, so we haven't had to be terribly careful about always having them on hand.

Just curious....

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes...I posed what she said in the same original post :cwds:

no what number did you call???

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:27 AM
We use them because the ones in the bottle expire in either 90days or 6 months. They always go to waste and the foil wrapped ones have an actual expiration date. I also trust them more for some reason. They are more expensive but I buy them anyway.

Autumn

Any particular reason foil-wrapped are better than the ones that just come loose in a bottle? We've always used those without any issues.

Or maybe it's that the foil-wrapped can be carried more easily in fewer quantities in a diabetes kit. Ketones have never been an issue for Sean, so we haven't had to be terribly careful about always having them on hand.

Just curious....

Denise
06-26-2008, 10:27 AM
here is the link to where I found the number...

http://www.bayerdiabetes.com/us/contact

"If you need help with your Bayer diabetes care product or want to find the store closest to you that sells our products, please call the Bayer Customer Service Help Line at

1-800-348-8100
We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. "

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:33 AM
they told me also that they won't be discontinued. CVS is going to get a phone call for telling me that. I made completely sure to ask if it was that they could no longer get them or that they had been discontinued and she said 100% discontinued. :mad:

Denise
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm glad they are not being discontinued but sorry that you were panicked for nothing. Let me know what CVS says...

mlbertness
06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
I have never even heard of these before? I don't think we have those in Canada. I just heard of the blood ketone stix at the walk this month!

Mama Belle
06-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Just curious....

Yeah as alongoria said the strips in the bottle expire automatically within 6 months of opening them, whereas the individually wrapped strips last until the expiration date printed on the foil. Plus I always carry a couple foil wrapped strips in my wallet so we can test wherever we are.

Mama Belle
06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I have never even heard of these before? I don't think we have those in Canada. I just heard of the blood ketone stix at the walk this month!

Here's info about ketone testing. (http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0n_030.htm)

And here's what the box looks like.

http://www.medexsupply.com/images/BAY-2640.jpg

mlbertness
06-26-2008, 10:43 AM
THANKS for the info!

alongoria
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM
The pharmacist said that is what McKesson told them. McKesson is the company they order their drugs from. She was very sorry and told me that if I find them somewhere for them to call and they would transfer the script and that since they gave us what they had in stock that I could bring those back so I don't have two copays.

I really like them there and I really hate having to get scripts at different places....too confusing as it is..

Autumn

I'm glad they are not being discontinued but sorry that you were panicked for nothing. Let me know what CVS says...

Denise
06-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't blame you! We mail order our supplies as it is cheaper. We have a year's worth of scripts for both places so that if we run out for some reason, we can run to Kroger's and get what we need and then order a refill via mailorder.

alongoria
06-26-2008, 11:05 AM
I don't blame you! We mail order our supplies as it is cheaper. We have a year's worth of scripts for both places so that if we run out for some reason, we can run to Kroger's and get what we need and then order a refill via mailorder.

Ah Kroger, miss them sometimes LOL.

That is what we usually do also-use mail order, but somehow I ran out. Now I am wondering if I can get them thru mail order since my mailorder company now owns CVS. Next call is to Caremark and then back to Walgreens to see if they can order them. :rolleyes:

Jaredsmom
06-26-2008, 11:20 AM
We get the foil wrapped ketosticks from Walmart pharmacy the problem I have with the bottles is that they expire after 6 mths, are bulky to carry and I like to keep some in each bathroom. After awhile you know what a negative test looks like and would only need the box to interpret a positive result therfore I am able to only keep a few in each bathroom. As for the added expense it negligible. However if you get these just make sure the exp. date is as far as possible in the future. I did'nt check the first time and they expired within 2 mths. I'm glad to hear they won't be discontinued.

moco89
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Also, ordering them online works better than getting your local cvs/walgreens/whatever to order them or try to find them for you!

alongoria
06-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Also, ordering them online works better than getting your local cvs/walgreens/whatever to order them or try to find them for you!

Now Walgreens is telling me that they cannot order them thru their supplier Cardinal..........I am on hold with mail order to see if they can get them because it says on their website that they cannot dispense a thirty day supply but that they are available for a 90 day supply. This is very annoying.

alongoria
06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
I know most of you don't care, but for those of you who do here is an update.

I called Wal-Mart and they can get them, and they use the same supplier(McKessen) as CVS. So I called CVS and told them that Wal-mart can get them so why can't they. I am now waiting on a call back from CVS.

Autumn

Denise
06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
oh my goodness! This is insane! :mad:

alongoria
06-26-2008, 02:09 PM
oh my goodness! This is insane! :mad:

CVS says that they called again and they cannot get them because they have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Target pharmacy says the same thing. Now I am calling back wal-mart to make sure it is the right thing
CVS-no
Walgreens-no
Target-no
Walmart-yes????

Autumn

Denise
06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
did you tell these people that Bayer insists they aren't?! I wonder if you called Bayer back and ask what the deal is w/ this whole situation and ask if they can help...

alongoria
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Update..................all pharmacies that I called now say they are discontinued by Bayer.

I am upset.

yep I told them that Bayer says they aren't. Now I am called Bayer.

Autumn

alongoria
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
They are low in stock, probably wont be available until mid September..........so if you use them and get them you are lucky I guess......I give up.

Denise
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
oh my. well I have a supply for now... lemme see what i have...

I have three boxes of the foil wrapped (boxes of 20) and a vial of 50 count that we opened already so hopefully that will last us a while..?

Mama Belle
06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
They are low in stock, probably wont be available until mid September..........so if you use them and get them you are lucky I guess......I give up.

This is ridiculous! I currently cannot get the Precision Xtra Blood ketone strips at any pharmacy in town because they are all out of stock and on back order. WTF??? I sure hope we'll actually have some method to use for testing!!! :mad: