PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to remove adhesive?

chocoholicsc
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Tonight is our 2nd site change for Christopher's pump. The last one we did he was very uncomfortable with the removal of the adhesives (we use sure-ts). I asked our pharmacist for something and she said all she has is alcohol wipes, she felt that would be too drying of his skin? Her other suggestion was vitamin E oil. Has anyone tried that? I thought I could have him soak in a long bath and then try the oil to loosen them. What do you guys think? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Candy:)

coni
06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Believe me, I am no expert. Our trial sites all fell off with swimming, but after using Skin Tac, I actually had to get something to remove the site this morning. I used a sample of Unisolve and worked it around the edges. It did great; however, it smelled like fingernail polish remover, so I'm wondering if it's the best thing to use on a kid's skin. I'm looking forward to others' responses!

Lee
06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Unisolve, but then we clean it with soap and water afterwards. When she doesn't, her skin gets sore and red.

Sarah Maddie's Mom
06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
We have been using this stuff for years and honestly, I wouldn't want to change a site without it ;)
http://www.orange-sol.com/medical/index.html

taximom
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Unisolve works, but it leaves this sticky goo that you have to wash off.

I use Detachol now and it works great. No sticky goo....just doesn't smell that great. I had to order it online.

Our rep said to use baby oil. I guess it helps if you have nothing else around...but not that great.

Tori's Mom
06-24-2008, 04:12 PM
We are huge fans of De-solv-it. You find it in a spray bottle in the furniture polish section at Walmart. It is an all citrus oil based spray. We use sure t's as well and spray to soak the sites, we wait a few minutes and they almost literally fall off. Often we will spray before Tori's bath and the site just comes off in the water then during her bath.

I prefer it to having to open several tac away or unisolve wipes to soak down 2 sites(that the sure t's have). It takes at least 3-4 to get the sites soaked down and then still wait for it to work. Plus it is MUCH more economical. The bottle is around 12-16 ounces(not at home to look right now) and costs about $4 per bottle.

I LOVE the ability to spray and really soak the sites down.

LJS118
06-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Unisolve...we get it from Minimed with our supply order.

Abby-Dabby-Doo
06-24-2008, 05:02 PM
We have been using this stuff for years and honestly, I wouldn't want to change a site without it ;)
http://www.orange-sol.com/medical/index.html

I don't see an orange-sol product listed on this site? Am I missing it?! :confused:

Search For The Following Word(s): Orange-Sol

Code Name Price
10131 CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT 33 Fl. Oz. - Pro De-Solv-it® $15.39
10022 CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT - Pro De-Solv-it 12.6 oz. $8.48
10151 CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT 4 Liter - Pro De-Solv-it $37.45
10153 CONTRACTORS' SOLVENT 5 Gallon Drum - Pro De-Solv-it $132.47
11615 De-Solv-it APC and Odor Eliminator $6.45
10291 De-Solv-it APC and Odor Eliminator Wipes $5.45
10097 De-Solv-it APC and Orange Powered Degreaser $6.45
10293 De-Solv-it APC and Orange Powered Degreaser Wipes $5.48
22608 De-Solv-it CITRUS SOLUTION $7.48
10497 De-Solv-it CITRUS SOLUTION - 33 Fl. Oz. $13.49
10362 De-Solv-it CITRUS SOLUTION - 4 Liter $34.45
10369 De-Solv-it Icky Sticky Stuff Remover - 4 oz. $5.48
10061 De-Solv-it PreWash Booster - 12 fl. oz. $7.48
10125 De-Solv-it Stainless Steel Cleaner $7.99
10217 Mechanics' Solvent - 4 Liter $37.45
10213 Mechanics' Solvent 12.6 Fl. Oz. $8.48
10215 Mechanics' Solvent 33 Fl. Oz. $15.69
10219 Mechanics' Solvent 5 Gallon Drum $132.47
30404 Medi-Sol Adhesive Remover - 4 Fl. Oz. Pump $6.79

Sarah Maddie's Mom
06-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Try this

http://www.orange-sol.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OO&Category_Code=OSM

Sorry, that was a clumsy was to access the site :o

Abby-Dabby-Doo
06-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry not trying to hijack!

How long would you say a 4oz bottle lasts you?

Sarah Maddie's Mom
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Ages :cool:

I spray the old site before I prep the new area. By the time the new site is in (2 min) the old one pretty much lifts off. Honestly, would not suggest it if I didn't think it was a great product.

chocoholicsc
06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
We are huge fans of De-solv-it. You find it in a spray bottle in the furniture polish section at Walmart. It is an all citrus oil based spray. We use sure t's as well and spray to soak the sites, we wait a few minutes and they almost literally fall off. Often we will spray before Tori's bath and the site just comes off in the water then during her bath.

I prefer it to having to open several tac away or unisolve wipes to soak down 2 sites(that the sure t's have). It takes at least 3-4 to get the sites soaked down and then still wait for it to work. Plus it is MUCH more economical. The bottle is around 12-16 ounces(not at home to look right now) and costs about $4 per bottle.

I LOVE the ability to spray and really soak the sites down.

Ok, I just called all over town and nobody has any-including walmart:mad:. I guess we're gonna have to do this site change 'dry' also...poor baby! I'll try to get some before the next change though...thank you!

TripleThreat
06-24-2008, 05:41 PM
we use remove it works great and its cheap for a big bottle

StillMamamia
06-24-2008, 05:44 PM
We had trouble in the beginning removing the adhesive, as it was causing some irritation. The endo suggested sweet almond oil. It worked as well. But we're back to alcohol wipes and there has been no problems with it.
The only problem with sweet almond oil is if the person is allergic to nuts, then I think you cannot use it.

hawkeyegirl
06-24-2008, 09:05 PM
We've been using the Unisolve wipes. They work pretty well, but I usually have to use two of them to get it good and soaked. I ordered some De-Solve-It from Amazon.com (our local Wal-Mart doesn't carry it) and I plan to try it for our next site change.

mom2kenny
06-24-2008, 09:31 PM
If you have nothing else, try to use baby oil. Kenny isnt on the pump, but when my daughter had surgery they left one of the cardiogram leads on and we didnt notice until we were home, It was STUCK!! called a nurse friend and using the baby oil worked, but it has to be pretty soaked with the baby oil

Mary Lou
06-24-2008, 11:40 PM
We use Tea Tree Oil, and it works great.

We use the De-Solv-it around the house to remove the stickers from stuff and it works great for that, I can imagine it takes a set off well, too.

But we love the TTOil, it's pretty inexpensive, too. One little (maybe 2 ounce) bottle has lasted us several months.

Mama2H
06-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Thanks to Tori's mom we also use de solve it. Just a little tip :) One of my daycare mom's works for Walmart and she told me that if you find something at a Walmart in a different town but cannot find it at the Walmart you usually shop at to go to customer service or ask for a manager and request it. She said it may take a month or so but in most cases they will start stocking it. FYI de solve it is in the furniture polish section.

PixieStix
06-25-2008, 12:45 AM
We use Goo Gone from Walmart

Tori's Mom
06-25-2008, 01:08 AM
LOL--check this out. Did a little quick research.....
http://www.orange-sol.com/

The Medi-sol(referred to by SarahMaddiesMom) and De-solv-it are both manufactured and distributed by Orange-sol. The De-solv-it as a household product and the Medi-sol as a "medical" product.

I would bet that they are very similarly made with virtually the same ingredients but selling and marketing the Medi-sol as a "medical" product lets them charge a much higher price!
Anything for an extra buck!!

mph
06-25-2008, 09:23 AM
We use Tea Tree Oil, and it works great.

We use the De-Solv-it around the house to remove the stickers from stuff and it works great for that, I can imagine it takes a set off well, too.

But we love the TTOil, it's pretty inexpensive, too. One little (maybe 2 ounce) bottle has lasted us several months.

THANKS........:D.......I would never have thought about Tea Tree Oil!
I was just looking for a suggestion for this, too!

The Medi-sol sounded OK, but shipping costs are horrible.

twodoor2
06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I use Unisolve in the liquid and I leave it on for a minute, and clean the whole area with soap and water afterwards.

Mary Lou
06-25-2008, 09:39 AM
THANKS........:D.......I would never have thought about Tea Tree Oil!
I was just looking for a suggestion for this, too!

The Medi-sol sounded OK, but shipping costs are horrible.

You're welcome. My boys dislike the scent, but I kind of like it. Like others, once we use it, we wash the area with warm soapy water to remove any traces of the oil.

dqmomof3
06-25-2008, 09:42 AM
We use the De-Solv-It as well - LOVE it! Spray down the site, wait five minutes or so, and it just slides off, even with the skin tac and Tegaderm over the top.

They sell it at Ace Hardware as well, if you have one of those locally! We are six months into diagnosis and still have well over half a bottle left!