PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the Test Strip Canisters?

MissMadisonsMom
06-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I am looking for some innovative and creative uses for all of the test strip cannisters. I just hate to get rid of them. Do any of you have some fun uses for them?

TracieandJim
06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Ive tried to think of something to do with them too but I end up tossing them. I dont want the boys to play with them and get the impression they can play with them all the time and one day find test strips all over! :eek:

ADHDiabetic Mom
06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
I am looking for some innovative and creative uses for all of the test strip cannisters. I just hate to get rid of them. Do any of you have some fun uses for them?

If you can't find a use for them, someone certainly can. I'd offer something like that up on the local FreeCycle list. You'll probably have more creative people asking for them than you have canisters to give!

fredntan2
06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I've heard of making hummingbird feeders from insulin bottles.

TheFormerLantusFiend
06-08-2008, 07:43 PM
At Purim (Jewish holiday) my brother used a couple as noise makers- put a bean or two inside and shake. Mostly I just throw them away.

MReinhardt
06-08-2008, 08:25 PM
You can put a small needle and thread of different colors in them, put them in your glove box for a mini sewing kit.

I also use them for my pins, needles or safety pins.

Also, I use the empty ones for fishing. I put hooks, sinkers, and the such in them.

I also use the canisters for games. Tape a number, color, small picture in the canister (do not just put in canister as it rattles). do a guessing game with who has what in theirs. Possible use them at a carnival, like the duck game.

They make great 15 carb emergency kit. Jelly beans, smarties and the such.

These are just a few ideas. I really dont throw these away.

Karenwith4
06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
My sister is a Kindegarden teacher so I save them for her. She tosses them in her craft box.

My kids also play with them, stash treasures in them, put coins in them, use them to send secret messages for their HSP (homeschool spy agency) - lol.

Big Hair Momma
06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
We've used them to make a robot, along with other discarded supplies. We called him Can Man, and he was made from the canisters, caps from the Cleo, the end of the tubing, etc. I can't find my photo right now, but when I do I'll post a pic.

usbornetheresa
06-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I just toss them into the recycle bin.

iluvmhp
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I work at a school . . . they make great top hats for miniature snow men!!! :)

bisous
06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I've always wanted to (but haven't yet!) turn them into sensory exploration a la the Montessori method. I've seen little canisters that resemble test strip canisters that are filled with various scents, colors, weights, or things that make sounds. I've always thought that would be a cool way to reuse. Sadly, I haven't done this yet and instead have thrown SO many away. I mean, I use like 7 canisters a month!

kiwikid
06-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I have some that I've put 3-4 gluc tabs in and stashed around the place :cwds:

Mama Belle
06-08-2008, 09:28 PM
We saved ours for a really long time. We had every intention of selling them on ebay as micro geocache containers (http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Camo-Micro-Cache-Geocache-container-4-geocaching_W0QQitemZ230259159978QQihZ013QQcategory Z159046QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). We never did anything with them and eventually just pitched them.

Ashti
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
We also use ours for glucose tablets and stash them everywhere.

The Accuchek-Aviva canisters hold 6 glucose tablets. I wrap masking tape around the container and label Glucose with marker. I put them in her gym bag, in the glove compartment, in my purse, in the back pack, and whenever I need a new one, voila, seems we have gone through another batch of test strips.

Ashti :)

Tori's Mom
06-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I can't remember where I saw this idea but I read of someone who filled them with quarters and sent them to camp for easily available small amounts of money.

Stacey Nagel
06-08-2008, 11:07 PM
i have no clue what to do with the cannisters, but Jesse just filled a 2 liter soda bottle with test strips.. Its very heavy and completely full- took him 2 years to do it.
Now he's on bottle # 2...
I told him I'm giving them to his wife as a wedding present...:D

Jacob'sDad
06-08-2008, 11:56 PM
I use them to store my toenail clippings.:p

Sarah Maddie's Mom
06-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I work at a school . . . they make great top hats for miniature snow men!!! :)

And the orange syringe caps make great carrot noses :D

kyleesmom
06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Im always looking at them trying to think of something to do with them too. I like the idea of using them for glucose tabs. We normally buy the tubes, but the next time I see them Im going to grab a big bottle of them.

Heather(CA)
06-09-2008, 01:24 AM
I have some that I've put 3-4 gluc tabs in and stashed around the place :cwds:

Good idea!!! I'm going to go see if they fit in ours:D

Beach bum
06-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Garbage can for the doll house.

MReinhardt
06-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Here is another on for you. It states you can use the empty film canister, so there is no reason why you cant use the strip canisters.

Just think, Barbie can have her own real live working vacuum cleaner. No more bugs in Barbies home.

http://www.registrationsite.org/butterflies/bugvacuum.pdf

I could not resist I had to share.

lynn
06-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I have a friend who used them to bring water samples from the fish tank to the pet store. She had a problem with her fish dying. She kept filling up the canister and bringing it to them to test and they kept finding that the problem would just not resolve. They gave her another dose of chemicals to add and she would go buy more bottled water and take some water out, add the chemicals and fresh water and wait a week. After more dying fish she would bring in her sample again to find that the results were the same as the week before! It was making her crazy and the guy at the pet store was taking it personally.

He started to give her MORE chemicals to try to tip the scale. She lost a ton of fish. This went of for a few months: Bringing water samples in weekly, adding increasing amounts of chemicals, buying more and more fish....

Finally she brought the sample in in a container with the label on still. They said, "This is the type of container you've used all along, right?" It seems that the lining that keeps the strips fresh was skewing the results of the tests! They told her to change half the water and then bring in a clean sample. PERFECT!! Her fish are living happy lives now!

For us: My daughter makes jewelry so she uses them to hold beads.

jendean
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
fill them with nerds to treat lows. :cwds:

chickenpatty
06-09-2008, 10:10 AM
We pull the sticker off the canister and keep it in dd's supplies pack for a trash can for used test strips. With the sticker off, it isn't confused with unused strips.

Nancy in VA
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Last year, when I went to a scrapbooking retreat, I made a label for them and put eyelets and brads in them for the goodie bag.

What about little goodie items for Halloween?

3js
06-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I use them as sharps/strip containers in my bag/his lunchkit.

Also, for holding craft items: beads, clasps,wire,googley eyes ect.

The rest I recycle, but I like the glucose tabs idea and giving them to school for crafts ideas.:)

Stacey Nagel
06-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I use them to store my toenail clippings.:p

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:eek:

lilituc
06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I fill them up with used strips and throw them away.